It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biblical Pool of Siloam Is Uncovered in Jerusalem!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I recently found Nothingham on a map of England and I'm sure it is exactly as described in Robin Hood, that must surely make Robin Hood a historical character and the story true.

NOT.

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 04:35 PM
link   
No, you misunderstood I have not problem with the pool been built before the Roman domination and during the time mention in the bible and jewish texts.

Many of Jerusalem holy sites were in ruins by 70 CE.

But all I hinted is that when the Romans took over the city and prohibited the Jews for entering Jerusalem after the revolt of the jews by 114-117 CE, the pools could have been used by Romans after all they constructed "pagan" temples in what was considered Jewish holy sites and also christian sites but many of this "holy" sites were in ruins anyway.

I never said the pools were constructed by Romans.

Jerusalem was under Roman domination for about 200 years and it was not until 325 CE that it became a Christian city again. Perhaps more digs will bring more discoveries on how the pool were used during the time after the Romans tood over.

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 05:52 PM
link   
What we are trying to tell you and others marg is that the Word of God is meaningful and full of truth and when secular science proves that the Bible was right once again, we will proclaim it openly.

Faith - its a concept that you fail to understand. Look to man for your answers and you will always lack.

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by edsinger
What we are trying to tell you and others marg is that the Word of God is meaningful and full of truth and when secular science proves that the Bible was right once again, we will proclaim it openly.

Faith - its a concept that you fail to understand. Look to man for your answers and you will always lack.

I know exactly what you are trying to do ed, and that is what I was getting at, everytime a new discovery is done in the "holy land" is not atributed to the Jewish history or their historical texts first, but rather it is been push as confirmation of the NT of the "Bible and the Christ"

Heck in my "faithless" believes Jesus could have been any jew that did the same thing that any jew did in the time, without the divinity.

But for the "faithful" any hole in jerusalem will yield "irrefutable" prof of the holy Christ, of the bible.
Very convienient.

That is what I was getting at.

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jehosephat
The simple matter is, there STILL has never been any archeological evidance that contradicts the bible. Thus proving the Bible still can be used as an accurate histroical document

Hmmm...I'm not too sure about that.

Nazareth, in fact, is located in a depression, set within gentle hills. The whole region is characterized by plains and mild rises with no sharp peaks or steep cliffs. The terrain is correctly understood as a high basin, for in one direction is the much lower Plain of Esdraelon. But there is no disguising Nazareth is built in a valley and not on a mountain. Even the mediaeval town sat below the summit – protected from the wind. Beginning only in 1957, the Jewish suburb called 'Nazerat Illit' ('Upper Nazareth') was built to the top of the hills to the east of the city.

Foreground
(below that pointy building): – supposed location of 1st century 'city' of Nazareth

Background & right:
'Mount of Precipice' (aka 'Lord's Leap')

Perhaps the Multitude might really have threatened to roll JC down the slope?

It would take quite some time to get from the downtown 'synagogue' and scramble to the top of the 'cliff'!

You should really check out The Town that Theology Built

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

Heck in my "faithless" believes Jesus could have been any jew that did the same thing that any jew did in the time, without the divinity.P

Yup them Jews were known for going around performing miracles and healing the sick, feeding the 5000, teaching the crowds, and raising the dead and such, many of them. Heck even Mohammad was healing the sick...or wait a second no he wasn't.

Seems to me them Christians sure as heck were, unto Rome they went.

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Yup them Jews were known for going around performing miracles and healing the sick, feeding the 5000, teaching the crowds, and raising the dead and such, many of them. Heck even Mohammad was healing the sick...or wait a second no he wasn't.

NO ed the bible is the only one talking about the Miracles of the Christ, specialy the NT, and why not? the christ is after all the whole base of christianity so let's find him in time and space and let link him to archeological sites, after all no where else can he be found.
But in the Christian bible.

Yes I am faithless when it comes to the christ but I still have my creator in my side. I stopped the worshiping of idols when I discovered that I didn't need them to comunicate with "The source"

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 09:28 PM
link   
I pity you marg.

You deny the Creator, but that is your choice....

and btw, even the Koran speaks of Jesus's miracles and as another side note, there was no New York Times back then to document the days news, and NO OTHER work has as many manuscripts of that age left, even the Koran doesn't and its much younger....

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 09:35 PM
link   

I pity you marg.

And . . . I pity you, I am missing nothing, I am very satisfy with my believes.

While you need to have an idol of worship to support your faith, I have nothing but the source.

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 09:38 PM
link   

I pity you marg.

And . . . I pity you, I am missing nothing, I am very satisfy with my believes.

While you need to have an idol of worship to support your faith, I have nothing but the source.

idols?

have you gone mad?

You talk with your creator do you?

I would like to know what it says..........

can you prove it exists?

No marg, your Creator has spoken to you through His Word, you choose not to accept it.

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Idols? Jesus is a lot more then a golden calf that man created.

Oh and btw marg, you said romans USED the pool, and I never siad anything about them constucting it except the roman governer had the authority to approve of construction. But it would have been impossible for the romans to USE the pool when it gets filled up with mud after somebody forgets to clean it every day as what happened after the Jewsih revolt. And there was really no way they would USE it when a Jewsih king still ruled jeruselam

All you are doing is trying your best to make assumptions with very little proof, that would put doubt in the minds of Jews and Chiristians. Attacking peoples faith instead of respecting thier faith and long history which has a very small part of it proven to be real by a new Archological find.

To Chrisitans beliving in that something happened about 2000 years ago, yet we never witnessed ourselves, is a key part of our faith and beliefs. it is comforting to Christians that our 'blind faith' has been justified and proven to be true by this find. And we also a awit further discoveries that are made. Eventually some non-belivers might actually think that what is in the bible is true, and open up thier hearts to it to attain salvation.

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 04:40 PM
link   

NO marg not at all, it just reaffirms that the Book is factual and therefore truthful.

Actually it just reaffirms that back in times there were various pools at various places. Perhaps 2,000 years from now when one finds Saddam Hussein's pools deep underground they might think he was Christ?

Just a thought to THINK about.

However, I do hope the story to be right. Just needs to be proven as FACT.

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 04:48 PM
link   

secular science

Free thinking science? Good that's what ALL need to be. Free thinkers.

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 05:12 PM
link   
If a new cult that starts up...would it be more convincing if they mention actual places or if they make up places? It would always be more convincing if they use actual places.

It don't suprise me if they found a pool that happened to be mentioned in the bible. And because they found it doesn't solidify the whole NT and prove Jesus was an actual person or that Christianity is the one true religion.

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Groupies:

Actually the 5-columned "pool of Siloam" was re-discovered in the 1970s and has been featured in a number of 'new testament for beginners' type commentaries over the years. In the 4th gospel it states "when the wind stirred the water of the pool, people would come and place their sick into it..." evidently believing that the wind (or "spirit" = the aramaic Ruach is the same word) contained an angel of healing energy etc. in common with many pagan watering holes...

Interestingly, the gospel of "John" (whoever he was, possibly Yohannon the Presbuteros/Elder, but not the "son of Zavdai" (who died under Herod in the 40s with his brother James) who was said to have lived to be in his mid 90s and even might well have "met" R. Yehoshua bar Yosef the Galilean before his eventual demise (i.e. a non-discipled Greek speaking follower of "Jeezuzz" who was familiar with the environs of Jerusalem) and was buried in Ephesus next to another Yohannon, possibly another disciple?) is a hotchpotch of various literary midrashic type sources (e.g. a Signs Gospel, e.g. "this was the first sign that the lord did...this was the 2nd sign that the lord did...") which includes some entries by someone who at least was familiar with Palestine around the time of its destruction in AD 70--unlike say Mark's gospel who couldn't find his way around Palestine with a map...

The fourth gospel (which shows more than 75 major differences in content and language e.g. the date of the crucifixion or the "temple tantrum" and the very style of the Greek words/phrases placed into the mouth of "jeezuzz" compared with the other three gospels, the so-called Synoptics of Matt Mark and Luke) sometimes comes out with some interesting details, like Pilate sitting on "ha-gabbatha" (Aram. lit. "the high up place" or "elevation" or = "pavement" during the preliminary Roman hearing, or the fact that "Jeezuz" walked his disciples through the "Kidron Valley" behind the temple before the coup attempt on the night of his arrest...and we all know how THAT turned out......!) so at least one of his many sources knew the geography of Palestine a little better than some of the others...but that does not automatically mean the whole book is an eyewitness account--it only means that one strand of the tradition may be from someone who had a clue about the region, and may have witnessed some of the events (i.e. the description of blood (and "water") flowing from a spear-wound on the cross, lit. "this is the same disciple who saw these things" to which someone in the margin added the phrase "and WE know that HIS testimony is trustworthy...")...

At any rate, I'm surprised that people think this story about the pool with 5 columns (built probably by Herod in the grand Roman-pagan style) was in any way news...

hmmmmmmmm

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by NEOAMADEUS
Groupies:

At any rate, I'm surprised that people think this story about the pool with 5 columns (built probably by Herod in the grand Roman-pagan style) was in any way news...

hmmmmmmmm

NO you are right is not news, but again Jesus was there so the bible tells you so, that is the prof that Jesus is real. Every time a whole is digged in Jerusalem and ruins are found they find also the tag with Jesus name in it.

The purpose of this thread was not to bring news of an archeological discovery but to preach that the "the bible tells you so"

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 07:35 PM
link   

The purpose of this thread was not to bring news of an archeological discovery but to preach that the "the bible tells you so"

Oh yee of little faith............

It amazes me how many HATE the Christ and will do anything to defame him. At a pretty heavy price I might add.

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I think both Ed and Neo bring Good news. Ed states that the pool does exist. Neo even points out in the new testiment where it talks about the pool. They're maybe not really proof. But they do proof that the Bible is not lieing. In fact it helps bring that the Bible talks about even more real places. Places where Jesus was suppost to be at, at one point.

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 07:43 PM
link   
But what they dont get and they have stated is that Jesus never existed because they can not find proof, and yet when the Bible is proven right, they change gears and dismiss it.

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Ed
We both know just because you cant proof it, does'nt mean its not there.
God wanted us to follow him by faith, and free will. We can not follow God by faith, if there is proof. We will never have axial proof of Jesus or the Bible until Jesus comes. Because its for our time to follow with out knowing.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join