It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guerilla Artist Attacks Israeli Wall

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 09:04 PM
link   
A secretive graffiti artist named Banksy has decorated Israel's controversial West Bank barrier with satirical images of life on the other side. The nine paintings were created on the Palestinian side of the barrier.

news.bbc.co.uk
One depicts a hole in the wall with an idyllic beach, while another shows a mountain landscape on the other side.

Banksy's spokeswoman Jo Brooks said: "The Israeli security forces did shoot in the air threateningly and there were quite a few guns pointed at him."
[...]
Israel says the structure is necessary to protect the country from suicide bombers, but the International Court of Justice has said it breaches international law.
[...]
Banksy is well known for his art stunts around the world
He condemned the wall but described it as "the ultimate activity holiday destination for graffiti writers".

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

"Monkey see, monkey do..." - For the Palestinian people the land on the other side of that barrier would be seen as somewhat of a paradise... Merely because it has been "out of bounds" to them for decades now... One can only hope Israel does not re-nig on its promises...

I must admit, it is quite a ballsy move, though I commend it completely...

LINK:

[edit on 8-8-2005 by ghostsoldier]

[edit on 13-8-2006 by asala]

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Man thanks for that

I as an urban guerilla artist can only wish that my art can someday progress to such a level. His use of spray can, stencils, and what appears to be brush in the scenic scenes in the background really bring home the point of his message. Some of the best work I have seen in a while!
Thanks again!

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 09:25 PM
link   
No problemo...

Revolutionary art is needed in this day and age... And I commend any artist willing to make such statements...

I hope this one doesn't get banned/deleted
, but I've got 10 bucks that says it will
... I've seen it on T-Shirts, Stencils, everywhere...

[image removed - 10 virtual dollars awarded]

EDIT: Smilies

[edit on 8/8/2006 by Gools]

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Banksy is neither a Guerilla Artist, nor did he attack

(haaretz: A Banksy work on the separation wall. )

The separation fence has become a site of pilgrimage for a variety of artists.

One can now see the fence depicted in paintings by David Reeb, at the Haifa Museum of Art, and in video art by Catherine Yass at the Herzliya Museum. In November, an enormous exhibit protesting the separation fence will open at the Artists' House in Tel Aviv, in Ramallah and in New York featuring work by 60 artists.

posted on Aug, 8 2006 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Banksy is very cool.

I come across some of his work - and work inspired by him - in my home town. It's always a lovely frisson when you see it...

Another prank of his I particularly enjoyed was that he managed to sneak his own fake prehistoric art into an exhibition at (I think, if memory serves) the British Museum.

The fake art was a line drawing depicting, among other things, a prehistoric man with stegosaurus-like protrusions on his back... pushing a shopping trolley.

He also did what he termed "remixes" of well-known artworks. Edward Hopper's "Nighthawks at the Diner" was revamped to include an enormously fat man clad only in Union Flag underpants who had just thrown a chair through the window of the diner. There was also a well-known Impressionist piece (The Bridge at Arles?) which showed a shopping trolley - clearly something of a recurring motif - semi-submerged in the water.

This kind of irreverence is meat and drink to me.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 12:23 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Even though this is a very bad situation. I can see the creativeness in the graffiti.

top topics

join