It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who here believes in God?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 08:03 PM
link   
As a Catholic, I was just wondering who here believes in God (any God, not just Christianity) and what they're take on Creation is.

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Well, this is a long explaination for my beliefs.....I was brought up by strict Christian parents (Church of Christ).....so, I believe in a God. Although lately I seem to be more of a Deist....believing in a God that has no interaction with his creation.

Anyway, I agree with the 5 proofs of a God by Thomas Aquinas, (his proofs for cosmological argument):

Which is an argument for the existence of God that claims that there must be an ultimate causal explaination for why the universe as a totality exists....

1) Here is the world
2) The world is not self created
3) It could not come from nothing
4) It could not be an infinite series of prior causes
5) God is the "first mover"

I also believe in evolution....HA! freaked you out! Yes, I believe that when God created the world/universe....or whatever....in six days....well....six days to God, may be millions or billions of years.......yeah....ponder that awhile!!

I believe in the co-existence of God and Science.

I am constantly teetering between the belief that there is a God that is concerned with our lives, and a God that is indifferent to our lives (basically Existentialism, or the isolation of the individual in a hostile, or indifferent universe.

Basically, I believe in God.....I just don't know if he is around or is even concerned with individual lives.

Faeryland

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 09:50 PM
link   
This will come as a suprise to those who have read my MANY MANY posts attacking Religion.........I Do.

I just think hes in your heart not a book or a pulpit.

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Well if the most staunch supporters of God are evidence of that God then God must be some kind of sick, idiotic, violent and straight up evil thing.

I will stick to doing what i feel is right.
If there is a God [Good, Evil, or otherwise] I will deal with that when i get there.
In the meantime i have peace with myself.

My thought, use your mind and intellect to find and make that calm place within yourself.
What greater gift can you give yourself than spiritual peace and bliss?

dank yu, grasshoppa.
yu haf da wais of enlightenment.

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 11:01 PM
link   
If this is a kind of poll, I go along with most of what was written by Faeryland.

I believe in God. I'm not at all sure that God was directly involved with creation or that God is overly concerned with what happens on earth, though. I mean, I don't think God doesn't care at all. I just think God must have a unimaginably long view of things and could not possibly care less about our religions or our politics. I doubt God cares whether we worship, at all. I think to believe otherwise is somewhat arrogant - like we are all so important to God that God is going to help us win football games or the White House or some stupid war. Not likely.

For all we know, God just has this recipe book for how to bake a planet and earth is just one example where God threw together the ingredients and put it in the oven of the cosmos to see how it will come out.

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 11:10 PM
link   
No, i don't believe IN God.

I believe there is a God, though.

To believe IN God is to trust him and put your faith in him. I can't do that for some reason. Like a poster before me, i believe there is a God because quite frankly, for something to be created, it must have a creator. That's simple logic. An amazing piece of art cannot be created without an artist. If the artist didn't exist, neither would the painting.

But believing a God exists or has existed is totally different from believing in God. I may be a coldhearted, lonely cynic, but i put my faith in myself, and only myself. Not God, not my parents, not my friends, but myself. I'm in charge, not God. I'm glad he or it or whatever created me, directly or indirectly, but i'm not going to worship him fifty times a day.

So yes, i believe there is a God, but i don't believe in him. Clear as mud i'm sure, right? Well i'm pretty screwed up, so i'm sorry...

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Nope.

I believe there is some power that connects all things - living and non-living. I think it's residual attraction from when the entire universe was one miniscule lump of mass.

I think God is a creation of man to explain what we don't understand, and to help us when we need to believe in something greater than ourselves. I think God has historically been a positive idea for humanity; but the idea of competing gods and different religions has always, continues to, and will always create problems.

[edit on 9-8-2005 by brianptx03]

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 12:43 AM
link   
is there a god who knows. but i do know there is something inside everyone that knows the difference between good and bad. getting off on doing something bad just means the connections in your brain got screwy.

if anyone that has seen "21 grams" and wonders why the research was not continued that would be an interesting topic, though any search i did dead ended with one experiment too long ago to raise any eyebrows toda

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 04:07 AM
link   
i am a believer , eventhough i do not proclaim it on top of roofs , i believe it is something personal and i believe in absolute freedom of faith as long as that faith does not envolve damage and harm to other people (in any way be it direct or indirect) i do not believe in missions of any sort , i do believe that the writings that have been passed on to us about creation and other "adventures" are purely metaphorical

after having roamed around many "religions" i found that my "ancestors" were still the ones suiting my view of life the best , i'm born and raised in the grand-duchy of luxemburg , hence of germanic culture , we were with the last people to be christianised (eventhough parts of scandinavia remained "pagan" up until the 13th century)
Asatru is officially recognised in Iceland and Danemark (heritage of course), other countries (Baltic countries and other Scandinavian countries) are going through the same type of pagan rebirth (problem being some right wing groups are trying to make this whole thing a political pan-germanic occurence out of it )

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 04:42 AM
link   
I see God in those terms myself, Jewish or Muslim, Christian or some denomination of the mentioned. He is the same God, we have the right to worship or give our thanks in a way we feel comfortable. Never mind the petty stuff, that is only causing the already HUGE rift to grow even larger. As we all suffer because of it, we are either the problem or the solution.

Open minded or closed, petty or not. Point under stood or never will be...

He isn't in the congregations for me, God can not be contained to such mundane place. He is the creator of all, every thing we have is do to him, from the bees and the birds, to fancy 60s muscle cars. If he hadn't created every thing we needed to invent, revelations of inspiration if you will. By the way "revelations" isn't just a section of the bible, it does mean something.

God is merciful, all knowing and all seeing. Every thing is his creation, directly or indirectly. If he created us, then everything we create, even though by our free will or against via ignorance, was foreseen. How can man take credit for makeing anything, when responcibilty for is not. Did man create the minerals or materials out of no where. No, it was already here waiting for our discovery. Not enough thanks is given to who it really belongs to. In the end, all things return to where they came. we are made up of the elements and so we shall return, in body of course.

Theology, politics, all of it serves nothing better than to seperate and distance us from each other, further polarizing. No good has came from prolonged arguements. Mature, disciplined debate yes.

"A house divided against itself..."

United we stand, the rest is not an option.

[edit on 9-8-2005 by ADVISOR]

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Faeryland

I am constantly teetering between the belief that there is a God that is concerned with our lives, and a God that is indifferent to our lives (basically Existentialism, or the isolation of the individual in a hostile, or indifferent universe.

Basically, I believe in God.....I just don't know if he is around or is even concerned with individual lives.

Faeryland

I thought of something to add to this prior thought......when considering the fact that we humans are just specks in the universe (if even that), I just don't see why a God would even be concerned with our lives. Especially if we are viewed (by God) as "hopeless cases" because of our lack of dicipline in obeying God and his commandments, etc.

Hope that makes sense,
Faeryland

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Wow. Quite a response. I believe in God and some of science. Considering the complexity of certain things (DNA, the eye etc...) it would seem to be a billion gazillion thousands of hundreds billons to one chance(if this wrong, it's meant to be impossible) that we're created and can survive on this planet without something having helped us. The fact that we're on this planet, which we just so happen to survive on, in all the cosmos, in these perfect conditions does support a God. Also we have faith which is the final piece of the puzzle. I don't want to force my religion onto anyone, they have the choice not to accept God, but when they're in Hell, or the anti-Christ rises, well...we'll just have to wait and see.

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Yes, there is a God. God is responsible for creation. He is the First Cause, Uncaused. His methods are unfathomable to us. Any attempt to understand the mind of God is futile.

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 12:06 AM
link   
for more answers, check out www.belowtopsecret.com... , although the question I asked was "what religion are you?" there will be similar questions

---Pineapple

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Well I don't believe in religion I believe in God, meaning I think religion is man made (where most people are deceived)

I do believe God sent his Son The Lord Jesus Christ to die for us.

I don't want to get into a "religious" battle, but this is what I believe, and I think most confusion is generated from.

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 01:58 AM
link   
...I believe in God. I classify myself as a christian. I believe that the "spirit"
in all of us comes from God. He is part of us , and we are part of him.
We can deny that spirit, and we can feel far removed from him. Then we are capable of terrible things. I think if everyone realized that we are all connected by God's spirit, then the world would be much more peaceful.

I haven't talked about the Son. But I believe he came to show us a way
back to the Father because so many felt so far removed.

I believe the universe or "God's house" is very large,...so there is room for many things....

[edit on 10-8-2005 by cosmokatt7]

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 07:42 AM
link   
I have studied the bible as well as many other religious texts.
I consider myself as a Christian but I subscribe to no organized religion.
Religion in of itself is a man-made and man driven ideal not God or any other deity.

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 08:26 AM
link   
I believe. I believe that God exists in 3 distinct persons, Father, Jesus(son), and the Holy Spirit ,yet one God.

I believe that God is involved in His creation and that He is bringing to fruition an eternity that will be unlike anything a human mind can imagine which will be inhabited by those who have chosen to accept the forgiveness found in Jesus Christ.

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I simply don't know how anyone could look at the universe, the skies, the planets, the earth and all that is on it and not believe something eternal and wondrous had a hand in it.
I truly believe there is a Creator.

Religion has nothing to do with it.

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I believe in a creator. Not religiouslly though. Something had to have given us all these things in order to survive. Some of you might call that nature.

[edit on 10-8-2005 by Striker122]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join