It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Commercial Fishing, so what?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Well, as many of you know, i'm a woman, dainty and people consider me attractive. SO WHAT IS THE MATTER WITH ME?

After having worked in the airlines field most of my life, i would love to be a commercial fisherwoman. Even if its once a week just for fun. I love the sea.
Why do people laugh when i tell them what i want?

So help me, i'm only happy at sea. I know someone looking for a partner to do fishing with once a week (he's a pharmacist!) I know he'd take me out to sea and my husband wouldnt mind. The problem is my whole family thinks i'm bananas. Why?

Isnt it alright to have a desire to do a mans job once in awhile? Any ideas as to how to deal with the criticisism?
Thanks.

:bnghd:

[edit on 8-8-2005 by dgtempe]

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Something is fishy here..
you seem a tad overly excited that he is a pharmacist. LOL.
Maybe he's just a chum though eh?

Can you bait your own hook?

Take your family out with you once, if they will go....
then they won;t think you are

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 09:40 AM
link   
He's just a family friend and no no no... its not jealousy they just think im nuts for wanting to go out once a week.

The majority overules and i'm sure i wont do something i would love to do at least just once

Oh well, i will just have to bite the fish line

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 10:02 AM
link   
First off dg, I wouldn't let my girlfriend or wife go deep sea fishing with another man unless that man had proven himself to be SUPER gay! She wouldn't even consider it to begin with but I guess different strokes for different folks.
Second, there's nothing wrong with a woman wanting to fish or make a living from fishing. There's no law against it as far as I know, it's just not inherently feminine.

Peace

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 10:18 AM
link   
dgtempe I honestly think they laugh because its one of the hardest job you can do, and its dangerous.

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Spitting Cobra, You aren't joking.

I actually am a fisher (crabber to be specific) and it is not an easy job.

I recently (4-5 months ago) had a friend who almost lost his arm due to it getting caught on the line connecting crab/lobster pots. He got airlifted by the coastguard and is now back working (god knows why, almost made me quite seeing it). People go missing regulary on boats.. crew out on deck (should always be 2 at least) and a mate can just fall off or get dragged off with the nets. Very easy to happen if you lose concentration which is often. To be honest, it is one of the best jobs I have had but it is very demanding physically, and don't expect to earn money all year round (depending where you are fishing). Money is pretty good

It is unfair to ay that this should be a male only orientated job..

But it can be physically hard work. There is a lot to take into consideration and to be honest this kind of job is something you kinda have to be brought up around in order to do well at. But if you go trawling then this can be a totally different ball game.. you would have a far easier time trawling than fishing on a small boat but this too can eventually give you the feeling of non achievement as it is no different to slogging away at a factory for 5 hours a day and then staying on a boat with nothing to do for hours.

If you want to do it then YOU SHOULD GO FOR IT!

commercial fisherwoman. Even if its once a week just for fun

I think you need to find more out about fishing because - commerical fishing will be more than once a week...

However, be prepared to face the stigma from fellow fishermen (or women) because it goes with the territory.. you yourself questioned why there would be a problem with women fishers and they will not wait to barrage you with bigotary orientated reasons. To deal with this.. belittle them and give as good as you get.. its the only way..

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I love crabbing!

I got all the equipment and the chicken wings and go out crabbing in a dinghy. I love it.

Let me make this perfectly clear. I'm not a lose woman or looking for a boat party. The man i'd be fishing with is like family. Forget about anything sexual.:shk:

I love the sea and would be only too happy to be there all the time except that i have a hubby and family.

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
The man i'd be fishing with is like family. Forget about anything sexual.:shk:

That's what Soon-Yi said about Woody Allen!

Peace

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 12:31 PM
link   
c'mon, the guys called WOODY... what did she think was gonna happen?

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I didn't sy anything about jealousy..
I said you were excited about..."pharmacist" LOL..

You should go fishing.

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I have my own "woody" at home...

Why does everything have to turn to sex round here?
Silly boys.

top topics

join