It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Thieves Tunnel For $67 Million Dollar Brazilian Bank Heist

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 05:54 PM
link   
$85 Million dollars is missing in Brazil's largest ever bank heist after thieves dug a 200 metre long, 4 metre deep tunnel into Banco Central Bank's safe in the Northern city of Fortaleza on the weekend. The break-in was discovered Monday and police sources say the thieves used a house with a created ficticious gardening company which allowed them to get rid of the material dug out easily and without any suspicion.

www.abc.net.au
Thieves have dug a 200-metre long tunnel to break into a Brazilian bank's safe, stealing at least $85 million in the biggest bank heist in the country's history.

"The crime was discovered Monday morning," the bank said in a statement.

The tunnel was four metres deep.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

In this day and age of security lock downs and big brother it is very rare for such a large heist to be successful. It seems from first news that this was a well planned robbery and the timing appears to have given the robbers a better chance of getting away with the robbery not discovered straight away. I do ask though, wern't there any alarms in the vault?

Related News Links:
www.abc.net.au

[edit on 8-8-2005 by Mayet]

[edit on 8-8-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 05:58 PM
link   
I must say, kudos to the robbers. Seriously, how many of us can plan an operation like that. They created a garden company coverup in order to tunnel into the vault. It is flat out amazing that they pulled this off. And without setting off any alarms. I can only imagine the recon work they had to do.

Guess I shouldn't be congratulating the robbers but I'm a sucker for a well planned robbery like this. Too much Oceans 11 I guess.

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Boy, that number sure has gone up!
They were origionally reporting the theft of only 65 million.
I wonder how much they truely got away with.
Love their approach though!

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Well I know what I'd like to do as a career. Personally I'd love for them to write a book on this sometime, I'd read it. But I suppose they'd blow their cover if they did.

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Hollywood has done much for the careers and potential new heists of bank robbers the world over. They are glamorized in movies such as The Italian Job and Oceans 11 as well as those movies, whilst dreamt up by perfectly non violent non criminal writers, giving bank robbers great material and ideas to work with.

If it was my money, I would be ropable but it's not and if defences were that weak, well maybe next time they will build better security.

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Well speaking of the Italian Job...

It's funny, a new movie called 'The Brazilian Job' is under production with the same actors from the 'Italian Job'. Now could it be that this is just some elaborate scheme to hype up the movie?

www.imdb.com...

Does make you wonder how Hollywood imitates real life, and vice versa.

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 06:50 PM
link   

`There has to be very clever and detailed preparation to rob a central bank,'' said John Shockey, a retired special assistant with the U.S. Office of the Comptroller of the Currency who probed more than 500 shell banks and led prosecutions of financial crimes. ``You're looking at a block and a half of tunneling.''

Inside the vault, the movement sensors and cameras were not activated, police said, so no alarms sounded as the thieves cut through the 1.1-meter thick floor, police said.

Bloomberg

Neighbours reported seeing vanloads of material being removed each day.
"It's something you see in the movies. ... They dug a tunnel that goes underneath two [city] blocks. They've been digging for three months," investigator Francisco Queiroga told the Reuters news agency.

news.bbc.co.uk...

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 06:52 PM
link   
they need to get the money to make it

Now that's real "art" eh ?

Gon'a def. see it when it out
Got'a luv those robbery movies

Y'r Canadian Friend,
Sven

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I dont think theft is right,

However when its off a Bank (Insured and make enough anyhow) is a bit Robin Hood. Good luck to them to be honest... They have used intelligence, hard work and courage. They also seem to be the top of their game with no alarms going of, probably paid off someone on the inside. Now if they would have used Guns or violence I would condemn it for that... but

Njoy and pop a bottle of Vintage Dom Perignon for me too guys!

Retired & Loaded at probably something like 30 or 40....Nice

Elf

PS wonder if they could help vendyl look for the ark? lol they would have more chance by the looks of it and no one would know it was gone

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Don't get too excited just yet. Let's see if these guys are real geniuses and manage to stay under the radar and get away completely. Even the greatest heists have been solved after someone in the group gets a little too spend-happy and starts buying homes, furs, cars, and so on.

They said there could have been 20-some people involved. In my book, that's way too many. It's only a matter of time before at least one of them opens their mouth or gets caught on a spending-spree.

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 09:53 PM
link   
This is just like the music video Simple Plan by Hoobastank.

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by kenshiro2012

Probably closer to 50 million. Banks like to pad the price so as to collect more insurance.

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

Originally posted by kenshiro2012

Probably closer to 50 million. Banks like to pad the price so as to collect more insurance.

They also like to lowball the figure, so as not to encourage future heists. The truth is, you never truly know how much or what was taken, unless you're inside the investigation or an employee of the bank.

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Two detained over Brazilian heist.

Brazilian police said overnight they have detained two people for the biggest bank robbery in the country's history, in which $US68 million was taken by a gang who tunnelled into a regional office of the central bank.

Federal police also said that one million of the 156 million reals taken in last weekend's bank heist had also been recovered.

www.news.com.au

Good on the police. Let's hope these two from an estimated team of twenty 'talk'.

I bet there's are few people in the movie industry, working on a script right now.

Sanc'.

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasputin13
Don't get too excited just yet. Let's see if these guys are real geniuses and manage to stay under the radar and get away completely. Even the greatest heists have been solved after someone in the group gets a little too spend-happy and starts buying homes, furs, cars, and so on.

They said there could have been 20-some people involved. In my book, that's way too many. It's only a matter of time before at least one of them opens their mouth or gets caught on a spending-spree.

They are not geniuses, at least as far as robbing banks and getting away goes! They already blew it!

Read this link!

These guys must have never watched the mobster movies where they all agree to not show off or buy expensive, flashy things after a heist until long after the heat cools off.

[edit on 12-8-2005 by warpboost]

new topics

top topics

join