It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Guantanamo Detainees Bewitched by Harry Potter

page: 1
0
<<   2 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 01:44 PM
link   
It seems the detainees in Guantanamo Bay may not be so bad after all -- they have access to a large library of books, and, surprisingly, one of their favorite reads is the Harry Potter series of books:



Harry Potter's worldwide popularity is so broad-based that it has become favorite reading for Islamic terror suspects at the U.S. prison at Guantanamo Bay.

Lori, who for two years has overseen the detention center's library, said J.K. Rowling's tales about the boy wizard are on top of the request list for the camp's 520 al Qaeda and Taliban suspects, followed by Agatha Christie whodunits.

"We've got a few who are kind of hooked on it. A couple have asked if they can see the movie," said Lori, a civilian contractor who asked that her last name not be publicized.

Full Story: Washington Times


So they've got air conditioning, movies, Harry Potter books, and orange-glazed chicken and rice...doesn't sound that bad at all to me!

[edit on 8/8/2005 by djohnsto77]




posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 01:50 PM
link   
how dare they!!!!!!
thats heresy to read such books. i expect them to read the Koran everyday every minute until they remember every word in the sacred book.



posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I read that this morning and had a good laugh

I guess that wizardry goes hand in hand with the Quran

Before everyone starts flaming.... the above is said in fun



posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Now the troops don't degrade and beat them during "Magic Fun Reading Hour".



posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 01:55 PM
link   



I guess he wasn't reading along side of the others?? C'mon man. Admitt it, this Gitmo thing is a travesty and beneath what I thought Americans would allow. Remember, pay backs they are a .....



posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 01:57 PM
link   
FLUSH IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wonder what would happen if a soldier flushed a copy of a Harry Potter book?


How would the detainees react?




[edit on 8/8/2005 by SportyMB]



posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Passer By



I guess he wasn't reading along side of the others?? C'mon man. Admitt it, this Gitmo thing is a travesty and beneath what I thought Americans would allow. Remember, pay backs they are a .....


I think it's quite obvious now that this is just a re-enactment of a scene with the Grim from The Prisoner of Azkaban...what's the problem?



posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 07:59 PM
link   
This is about as dumb a thread as I can expect to see this week.

Why is this in WOT anyways?


.



posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by SportyMB
FLUSH IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wonder what would happen if a soldier flushed a copy of a Harry Potter book?


How would the detainees react?




[edit on 8/8/2005 by SportyMB]


I dont know how the detainees would act, but kids everwhere would be up in arms!!



posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 10:14 PM
link   
You would of thought that if they access to Harry Potter that they might have access to a lawyer, or how about newspapers? or a trial conducted by the standards of the U.S courts?



posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Liberal1984

You would of thought that if they access to Harry Potter that they might have access to a lawyer, or how about newspapers? or a trial conducted by the standards of the U.S courts?


Or how about they start acting like decent human beings and not target innocent men, women and children? I'm sure you'd prefer they have access to Mein Kamf. Maybe we should feed them the occasional Jew just so they really feel like they're home?

Gimme a break. These savages don't deserve any of the things they're getting, including and especially OXYGEN!



posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Gimme a break. These savages don't deserve any of the things they're getting, including and especially OXYGEN!


Heh heh heeeeeeh



posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 04:33 AM
link   


"WHY Didn't you READ the Prisoner of Azkaban?!? WHY? Now we have to Kick the Living S*** out of YOU!"

Or Maybe they are Forcing them to Read Harry Potter.

Just a Thought....



posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 05:33 AM
link   
I can't believe that this post is to discuss serious issues like the detainees in Guatanamo - Or is it so people can make fun of the conditions of prisoners?

Stop behaving like hate spouting, infantile warmongers - even CONVICTED prisoners in America have rights.

Look it up - paedophiles, rapists, serial killers, axe murders - ALL have rights. All have the right to exist as human beings and not animals.

I am appalled at the lack of respect for human life. And don't reply with that stupid argument about terrorists taking the life of little old white haired adies on busses and small sweet children getting blown up. This seems to be the only argument people need to turn them into savages.

Put the proper people in prison after a fair and just trial. But abusing and torturing people belittles us as humans. You want to talk about them and us? How about supporting a war that was condemned by most nations and a system of imprisonment that embarrasses us.

And don't bother flaming me about this. Go and read the Geneva Convention. It is there for a reason.

Sorry for the morning vitriol, but sometimes this gets a bit much.



posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Books and 3 square meals is the least I would expect during the time spent awaiting a trial that would eventually find me innocent. None of you have a damn clue whether these people are guilty or not. I don't think you care, and would gladly see your billions in tax money spent on imprisoning them just so you feel "good".



posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 07:12 AM
link   
I can't believe I'm gonna say this, but by taking the lives of non-combatants they have made a non-verbal statement that they will not follow the Laws of Armed Conflict (LOAC). To break any law as described in LOAC is justification to be punished under the Geneva Convention. With that said though, the same could be said about the treatment of detainees at abu gharib. So it seems that there has been some violations of the Geneva Convention on both ends.


dom

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seeking Nirvana
I can't believe I'm gonna say this, but by taking the lives of non-combatants they have made a non-verbal statement that they will not follow the Laws of Armed Conflict (LOAC). To break any law as described in LOAC is justification to be punished under the Geneva Convention. With that said though, the same could be said about the treatment of detainees at abu gharib. So it seems that there has been some violations of the Geneva Convention on both ends.


Except of course, that quite a few of these prisoners have already been released because they had nothing to do with terrorism. So we can assume that plenty of the remaining prisoners are also innocent but belong to countries that aren't expressing their outrage as strongly as others. I see no evidence that all of the detainees have been " taking the lives of non-combatants". Besides, under geneva conventions their status can't be arbitrarily decided by the US, so the US are already acting outside the conventions, before we get into abu ghraib.

It's a shame the US isn't brave enough to prosecute in proper courts and instead believes their cases to be so weak that they have to set up kangaroo courts instead. I don't doubt that *some* of these prisoners are guilty, but you'd think the US authorities would have some *evidence* by now...



posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Us arizonans will gladly trade the arpayo jail program for what these detainees get. Call me funny but after seeing that done to "citizens" who for the most part are guilty of being poor and that alone. And then hearing about the bloody hilton these guys are living in comparativelly makes me even sicker than watchin my medicare go to everyone except who pays for it.
Send the detainees home bring our boys back and lets focus on our own house for once.

P.S: If these poor sods got thrown in the average county lock up they'd be lucky to get some 14 year old crap novel donated by some group or another with exhortations to find jesus stamped in the margins. So don't expect me to give a flying rat about their plight


dom

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sugarlump
Us arizonans will gladly trade the arpayo jail program for what these detainees get. Call me funny but after seeing that done to "citizens" who for the most part are guilty of being poor and that alone. And then hearing about the bloody hilton these guys are living in comparativelly makes me even sicker than watchin my medicare go to everyone except who pays for it.
Send the detainees home bring our boys back and lets focus on our own house for once.

P.S: If these poor sods got thrown in the average county lock up they'd be lucky to get some 14 year old crap novel donated by some group or another with exhortations to find jesus stamped in the margins. So don't expect me to give a flying rat about their plight


What about if they're innocent of all charges and have just been imprisoned for 4 years without trial?



posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Last time I stayed at the Hilton they didn't have nude and tortured prisoners reading Harry Potter and cowering at large pointy-toothed canines roaming the hallways.

Then again, maybe that's what you get just for the standard rooms?




[edit on 9-8-2005 by nikelbee]




top topics



 
0
<<   2 >>

log in

join