It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britain turning into thought police? (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 06:19 AM
link   
I used to think that one of the ideals of living in the western world was the freedom the governments accorded it's citizens. With the current developments, I wonder what will they think of outlawing next.

www.sky.com
TREASON FOR MILITANTS IDEA

Discussions are expected to start today on whether Islamist clerics who have voiced support for terrorism in the wake of the London bombings can be charged with treason.

The Government's senior legal adviser, Attorney General Lord Goldsmith, wants prosecutors and police to consider whether the ancient law can be used against three prominent preachers.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

One of the cornerstones of Western democracy is Freedom of Expression. Surely, most rational people would agree that certain 'expressions' such as hate and racist propaganda should very well be outlawed. From the outset let me affirm my opinion that the promoters of terrorism should not be allowed to freedom to propagate their belief.

Yet, this new discussion that is taking place is the UK is unsettling. By classing people with a different opinion as treasonous, a pandora's box will be opened that could lead to other offences receiving the same brand.

In many countries, treason against the state carries the death penalty or long jail sentences, in many cases without the chance of parole.

Should someone that voices his opinion or support be treated to such harsh sentences?

I think that separate legislation should be brought in to deal with supporters of terror, remembering at the same time many people may not support terrorist tactics, but do support the cause.

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 06:28 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

here aswell.

UK does not carry the death penalty for treason anymore..

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 06:33 AM
link   
True, but many other countries do have the death penalty.

join