It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Object near the moon tonight?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 05:26 AM
link   
About 1 and a half hours ago there was a bright light near the moon. By near, I mean very near. I'll try and edit a picture of the moon to show.
It could be venus, but I don't know.
What could've it been? So now, 1 and a half hours later, the light is flashing red and the moon is now 3 times the size and is so low that it's behind someones house and I can't see it anymore. It's a one story house, not on a hill. Never seen it happen before, lol.

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 05:33 AM
link   
Here.

I quickly did that, the white dot is the light I saw, and right now it's kinda flashing red. The moon's fingernail shaped though and the nail is on the bottom right side.

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Last night my 80 year old parents saw something in the western sky (it was not the moon). They described it as an extremely bright light that was crescent shaped and then a second very bright light (like a star) next to it. They apparently watched this for several minutes and were so confused by it that they got in their car and drove to our house. (Please note that as slow as they move, just getting to the car would have taken 5-10 minutes). Springer met them when they pulled in the drive and when he got out to the street the crescent had broken into two lights so it was a cluster of three very bright lights in close proximity to one another. He was so impressed he then came in and got me. When I got out to the street there were two lights and a third that was almost crescent-shaped. The lights were very bright and were moving very slowly downward. I ran back in the house to get my digital and when I got back out everything was gone. But then in maybe about 1 minute, one showed back up and remained illuminated for maybe a full minute before going back out. I tried to get a pic, but our neighbor has a security light that was just a half block in front of me, so it was making the object not show up. I actually ran down the street about 1 to 1-1/2 blocks, but by that time the light had gone out. It was weird.

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 05:42 AM
link   
It was Venus kids!
Been watching it for the last few days.
Smackin myself on the head, because I ALMOST took a photo of it.
Almost doesn't count, in photography

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 07:32 AM
link   
this happened to me a few months ago, i saw a full moon and the moon outshown all the other stars except 1 and it was right next to it, people told me it was saturn and not venus though.

Schmidt1989

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nventual
Here.

Excellent picture! Now that is what I want to see when people see a bright light in the sky!

EDIT: I'm sure it was Venus also. I will check... The Moon is a REALLY thin crescent still, being that it was just a New Moon two days ago.

Venus looks espeically bright right now because it's near its greatest elongation (the farthest angular distance from the Sun). That makes it into a really tiny crescent, and for whatever reason, Venus looks A LOT brighter as a crescent than in any other phase.

[edit on 8/8/2005 by cmdrkeenkid]

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Yup, it's Venus alright.

The changing in colors is called scintillation and is caused by the light going through the atmosphere. It hits dust and gas particles, which scatter the light and cause it to turn redder.

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Here is a pic I snapped last night. Sorry about the quality. I was using my friends low res digital camera.

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by SOCIAL_TAKEOVER

Another excellent picture! Great work ATS!

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Well i see you're using Starry Night Pro. If it says its Venus then it most certainly is.

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by cmdrkeenkid

Another excellent picture! Great work ATS!

saw the same thing last night too, though it seemed closer to the moon here in Australia, Melbourne.

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Venus for sure. I've been observing lunar craters all week and venus has been spectacular!

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by cmdrkeenkidThe changing in colors is called scintillation and is caused by the light going through the atmosphere. It hits dust and gas particles, which scatter the light and cause it to turn redder.

My gas is not that bad... I swear.

I noticed the moon low in the west about 8:00pm last night and just a degree of so to the south of it was Venus!

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 11:28 PM
link   
I videoed it!!!
Its a cosmic joke

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 11:44 PM
link   
I seen it too last night and took a pic, but do not know if it will show up or not.
Right you are it was clearly venus. and it was one of the coolest sites of the Moon I have seen in a very long time.

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by one_small_step
saw the same thing last night too, though it seemed closer to the moon here in Australia, Melbourne.

I'm from Melbourne Oz too, I saw it last night. It seemed way to close for venus I thought, but meh. What was the deal with it going so low that it was behind peoples houses and big as within 2 hours though?

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Nice one.. Looks almost like a mirrored Turkish flag

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 11:02 AM
link   
When I seen it, I thought " that looks like a flag I have seen before" LOL thats just what it reminded me of.
truely this is where they got the Idea for their flag

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nventual

Originally posted by one_small_step

I'm from Melbourne Oz too, I saw it last night. It seemed way to close for venus I thought, but meh. What was the deal with it going so low that it was behind peoples houses and big as within 2 hours though?

I'm not sure but I have been watching the early evening skies north west'ish, so looking towards the Austin Hospital and have been seeing some weird sights of late.
Probably a month ago I saw (it must be the flashing planet) /sarcasm, but it went from NNW - W in about and 1 hour and like you said behind peoples houses as it approached the horizon... it was freaky. Melb Airport is roughly in that direction but this was no commercial Airliner - I know their approach flight paths, holding patterns and alternate approaches this was on neither.... Flashing planet is far more believable.

You from a similar area?

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Well I'm from Essendon, near the Essendon airport.
The object next to the moon was red 2 hours later, that's what struck me as wierd.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join