It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Space Shuttle Discovery Reentry Delayed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Due to weather concerns at Kennedy Space Center in Florida, the scheduled landing of the Space Shuttle Discovery has been delayed for at least a couple of hours. If the weather doesn't clear over Florida soon, the landing may be delayed until tomorrow.

[edit on 8/8/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 03:34 AM
link   
I don't think I'm going to be alone in sitting on the edge of my seat during Discovery's re-entry.

Godspeed, ladies and gentlemen.

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 03:58 AM
link   
Crud...24hr delay for landing....oh well now i can sleep...work comes in a few hours. And i join you on the edge of the seat waiting for the safe return of Discovery.

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 03:59 AM
link   
CNN Confirms 24 hr delay for Shuttle re-entry. Now scheduled for Tuesday.

Dallas

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 04:09 AM
link   
I would think it (NASA) would be a little on the cautious side concerning the
shuttle's return home. The past two accidents in the shuttle has started to draw some concern from those who would advocate more safety on certain procedures in policy. It is a shame that the accidents had to happen in order for NASA to get it's act together.

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 08:25 AM
link   
I know they are blaming it on a weather-related delay. But, I was thinking, maybe the pilot was on her cell phone trying to get the kids out of bed and missed the re-entry point both times. Seriously, why was Edwards not a consideration today? They say it is tomorrow for either Florida or Edwards, why wasn't that option a consideration for today?

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 10:13 AM
link   
i think u mean commander because the pilot is jim kelly from iowa. sry this post was kinda short. prayers for the crew of discovery and a safe return home

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 05:23 PM
link   
The weather looks kind of iffy for a Florida landing tonight, I wouldn't be surprised if they end up having it go to Edwards AFB in California...it'll cost NASA another million in transportation costs, but I don't think they're taking any chances on this flight.

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 05:30 PM
link   
What if they have to land in France? It will cost a fortune to transport the shuttle back home...

ATS: Space Shuttle Can Make Emergency Landing In France

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I think the French landing site is really for an aborted launch, not a reentry landing. There are three sites within the U.S. and it's virtually impossible for all three to have bad weather, since two are in the desert.

edit:

I should add also for a catastrophic failure where they'd have to deorbit immediately, other such places exist worldwide, but are only for emergency use.

The shuttle could stay up longer if necessary, but it looks like they'll really try to bring it down today, whether in Florida, California or New Mexico.

[edit on 8/8/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 04:02 AM
link   
I'm watching Cnn at 2:11 PT and Nasa just announced that they are passing up a Fla. landing because of weather (again). Now are talking of an Edwards landing at about 8:45 EST.
I hope things are ok...
joey

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 05:52 AM
link   
"GO" order given for Edwards re-entry. The deorbit engines are scheduled to fire at 7:06 AM EDT.

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 06:32 AM
link   
It will be the 50th time a mission has ended at Edwards. Discovery will be at the most critical stage of the shuttle´s return in about 4 or 5 minutes. This is according to CNN - tv...

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 06:37 AM
link   
It will also be a landing that eliminates a U.S. transcontinental re-entry flightpath.

Just thought I'd throw that in.

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Discovery is home.

Touchdown!

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Alright!!! I'm sooo happy...

I told yall.. Dis you see how she executed that final cylinder manuever.. She's a good pilot she is..

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Excellent pilot. It isn't easy to dead stick a plane in for any landing much more so the shuttle.

top topics

join