It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aus Gov Wants Pine Gap & Secret Bases Removed From Google Maps/Earth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 07:52 PM
link   
I posted this here because I have no online link to this story as yet. For the first time a story came to tv before the internet. I was just watching Australia's channel ten news when the story came on about the government wanting sites including pine Gap, the northwest cape and lucas height nuclear reactor in sydney taken from google maps/satallite images. Its all in the name of terrorism they say.

So anyone wanting to take a look and keep the pictures now is the time to do it as I would say it won't be there for very long before they are blanked out.

Its very interesting that they are there in the first place and makes the so called secret bases in America found on google more of a reality. It looks now like google HAS indeed mapped everything and published everything......or nearly

[edit on 7-8-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Wow, honestly, I figured it would be the U.S. government wanting there instilations taken off first, not the Australian government, I wonder how long it will be before more countries start wanting there secretive areas off google.

So is Google going to do as asked?

I'm not knowledgable in this kind of thing, does Google have to?

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 12:17 AM
link   
If it's good enough to remove Pine Gap (and other points of interest) from the ATS bannerhead and replace it with stupid crap ads, it's good enough to take it off the face of the planet on Google Earth.

Censorship of the face of the planet, eh? Can they perhaps photoshop in a billabong with a large angry bunyip?

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 09:38 AM
link   
www.abc.net.au...

ELEANOR HALL: The operators of Australia's nuclear reactor at Lucas Heights are today calling on the heads of the internet search engine Google to censor its publication of photographs of the site, warning that the images could be used by terrorists.

The photos published on the internet would, until recently, have been available only to a handful of government agencies and NASA.

But now satellite photography is easily accessible on-line, with a new search engine program giving up more information than some people would like.

Through the 'Google Earth' service you can see your suburb, in some cases your house, maybe even your car parked in the street outside.

And as Karen Barlow reports, the program also gives a clear aerial view of Australia's only nuclear reactor.

KAREN BARLOW: After downloading the 'Google Earth' program and focusing on Sydney, the Lucas Heights nuclear facility is plain to see. The reactor is clear in the centre of the site with white, large pipes leading from it to other buildings. Details such as cars, trees and perimeter fencing can also been seen.

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Those locations are only very lo-res anyway and no real detail can be made out.
The images are also static and probably 1 -3 years old. I'm sure anyone wishing to go take a look can still drive as close as they can to these places and peer through a scope

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Aus Gov Wants Pine Gap & Secret Bases Removed From Google Maps/Earth

Fair enough. As an Australian, I personally feel that the Government would be remiss in not making such a request (or demand, as I'm sure the case was). Whatever else Pine Gap is, it is certainly an integral nexus for joint defence between Australia and the United States and should therefore not be available to the public.

Besides, Britguy is right in saying that the images found via Google are incredibly low res and reveal nothing of interest. However, as technology such as Google Earth becomes increasingly more advanced, the Government has a duty to ensure that its secret bases remain, well, secret.

[edit on 8/8/05 by Jeremiah25]

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Found this Image before it's Erase from existence.
Is This Pine Gap

[edit on 8-8-2005 by Masterspy]

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 12:32 PM
link   
At this point in time would that be the same as asking US people to remove all references to Area51? (Though I'm aware the sight was already annouced in /95? that it exists) but the point is the bases are known. Pine Gap, amongst other things, as a microwave communication base for US space and satelite stuff.

Dallas

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 01:05 PM
link   
One can always find nice images. (forget google)

Parliament House on Capital Hill in Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia.

And the car park, bottom left...big mistake.

1. Has road access. Perfect for a potential car/truck bomber.
2. Parked cars contain petrol/gas.
3. The car park is surrounded by tall trees.

Not the best idea, given security issues "today".

I would not worry about Pine Gap. It is secure.

Sanc'.

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 04:25 AM
link   
WOW i'm beyond amazed. i didnt even know AUS. had private bases....this has defenatly intreged me to learn more. Good on ya for posting this.

new topics

top topics

join