It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

That's disturbing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 05:18 PM
link   
That design looks just like a design from Britain back in the 50's. Vickers Aircraft designer Barnes Wallis experimented with swing wing designs under a project called Wild Goose. One test model I've seen a picture of had the exact same profile. What is this trend of taking old designs, having another company make it and calling it new and state of the art? It's as bad as Scale Composites make the ISS rescue ship. It's the X-24A, people! There's nothing new about it! I guess some people are too ignorant to admit somebody had the right design years ahead of them and count on people forgetting. Makes me wonder now just how many designs coming out are truely NEW...

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Dammit! Of course! I knew I had seen that design somewhere before, its been bugging me since the pictures were posted on here, thank god you borrowed Project Cancelled. My copy is up in the attic out of reach but I remember now you've said. Thanks

for anybody wondering what design, well I am talking about this one, I hope TSR2005 is too.

[edit on 7-8-2005 by waynos]

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 11:04 PM
link   
I once heard of this aircraft, but I think it was called the "Jacknife" or something. 10 to 1 I spelt it wrong

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 02:12 AM
link   
In my opinion it looks relly nice...

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Would you mind introduce the Wild Goose?
I knew you are the only one who has the ability to do it!

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 12:58 PM
link   
If he still has the book to hand TSR2005 is probably better placed than me at the moment

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I believe that's a cruise missile not an aircraft.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 06:38 PM
link   
waynos....

Look familiar?
Maybe these might help?

Lockheed unveils hybrid cruise missile/UAV plans
Lockheed unveils new hybrid cruise missile/UAV called "Top Cover"

Under Wild Goose and Swallow variable-geometry aircraft project, this is SWING WING
THE SUPERLATIVE SWALLOW
:

The Public Lecture "Sir Barnes Wallis - one of the 20th Century's Greatest Engineers" by Mr. Norman Boorer OBE (Brooklands Museum, Weybridge, Surrey) held on Tuesday 21 October 2003, was attended by an eager audience of around 250 members of the public.

external image
British Association--Tayside & Fife Branch

And TSR2005, the X-24A or x-24B and the the X-38 are similiar and one helped to bring the other about, being they were both done by NASA. As such, your point was?

MARTIN X-24A

Martin X-24B

The ISS proposed rescue vehicle, the X-38:

X-38

The X-38 design closely resembles the X-24A lifting body flown at Dryden from April 1969 to 1971. Wingless lifting bodies generate aerodynamic lift - essential to flight in the atmosphere - from the shape of their bodies.

The 28 research missions flown by the X-24A helped demonstrate that hypersonic vehicles like the space shuttle returning from orbital flight could be landed on conventional runways without power. The X-24A was modified in 1970 and designated the X-24B in 1971, the last lifting body configuration was tested in the 12-year research program at Dryden.

seekerof

[edit on 8-8-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Cool pictures! Has anyone heard of anything blimp-like, btw?

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 12:18 PM
link   
seekerof, I know that is the Lockheed project, I was showing which aircraft looked like Wild Goose the Swallow wasn't the Wild Goose, they were two different, but related programmes.

Shattered, Wild Goose was also a UAV.

The Wild Goose was an FSW UAV tested in the 1950's, I think (though I might be wrong as I am groping in the depths of my memeory) the Wild Goose also had an element of VG to its FSW layout and looked remarkably similar to the Lockheed picture I posted. Now if only I could find a picture on the web.

[edit on 9-8-2005 by waynos]

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 03:51 AM
link   
waynos:

The Wild Goose was an FSW UAV tested in the 1950's, I think (though I might be wrong as I am groping in the depths of my memeory) the Wild Goose also had an element of VG to its FSW layout and looked remarkably similar to the Lockheed picture

Project Wild Goose, and Project Swallow were two separate programs.
Perhaps you misunderstood what I meant by how I wrote it, but be assured, the Lookheed picture of their new cruise missile concept and the Wild Goose or the Swallow look nothing like it.

TSR2005 mentioned:

That design looks just like a design from Britain back in the 50's. Vickers Aircraft designer Barnes Wallis experimented with swing wing designs under a project called Wild Goose.

As such, waynos, you might be interested in reading the link I originally provided, explaining both the Wild Goose project and the Swallow project, which were both similiar:
THE BARNES WALLIS MEMORIAL TRUST: SWING WING THE SUPERLATIVE SWALLOW

The pictures I provided are what they looked like in concept.

seekerof

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I did read the link mate, very interesting it was too

However it didn't tell me anything different to what I already knew. The Swallow was a generic name which covered a series of what were virtually VG flying wings, this is what your picture shows, a variant of the Swallow was proposed as an alternative SST to Concorde, another variant as a supersonic bomber for the RAF.

You can trust me though that I know what I'm on about when I refer to the Wild Goose looking like that Lockheed UAV, if only I could find the particular picture I have in mind I could prove it to you but alas it is pack away and unobtainable, however I will continue to search the web for ir and as soon as I find it I will post it up. The one I'm thinking of is a pre-launch picture and it looks like that Lockheed but mounted on a trolley, a la Aarado 234.

There were also a series of small UAV Swallow test vehicles flown, maybe you think I am referring to them?

from your link

Wild Goose ranged in size from small hand-launched models to larger radio-controlled examples trolley-launched at 100 mph. All had slender laminar flow bodies with variable sweep wings set well back, and a swept tail fin aft. Movement about the three axes was accomplished by co-ordinated and differential degrees of wing sweepback

what it does not mention is that the wings which were mounted well back were swept forwards

sound familiar?

[edit on 10-8-2005 by waynos]

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 01:12 PM
link   
waynos:

There were also a series of small UAV Swallow test vehicles flown, maybe you think I am referring to them?

Yes.

Anyhow, being I am having to rely on your word, any time that you want to post a picture/link of the the Wild Goose, feel free, cause I have not found one to compare with what you indicate or with the Lockheed design.

I find it interesting, if not ironic, that the Barnes Wallis site would leave out what you assert it has:

....were mounted well back were swept forwards.

The quote you have cited fits well within the scope of the pictures provided.
But anyhow, if you can find the one you refer to, and post it, that would be great.

seekerof

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Anyhow, being I am having to rely on your word, any time that you want to post a picture/link of the the Wild Goose, feel free, cause I have not found one to compare with what you indicate or with the Lockheed design.

Absolutely, I fully understand. It is actually quite frustrating for me not to be able to show this. I have trawled the net and found nothing but, annoyingly, the very photo I require is featured in 'Project Cancelled' and my copy of that is packed away in a box in the loft and if I could get to it, I would.

Never mind I'll just have to keep trying.

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Everything is on my web
Just see. Swalow link

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Very nice matej, but what about Wild Goose? Do you have the FSW drone pictured there?

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Ehm, not everything is [yet] on my web. But if you are from Britain, you should search here.

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 08:53 AM
link   
external image

(mod edit to resize large image)

[edit on 16-9-2005 by pantha]

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 10:08 PM
link   
It's back to the Library I go...
I'll find that picture of Wild Goose for you. From what I have read, Wild Goose was the main project and Swallow was mainly that one aircraft design, with much emphisis on the airliner. Work with Wild Goose also produced a little know project called Green Lizard, which was a cannon launched smart weapon with a jet engine, flip out swept wings, and up to 100 munitions that would be discharged, much like today's cluster bomb. Wild Goose was the over all project. Many things came from it. But what has been forgotten now seems to be up for grabs. And since no one else here has any pictures of what I am talking about, once again it is left to me to dig up what no one else can find and has been forgotten. I'm getting far too good at this...Ask Jim Goodall. He's working on restoring a Comet 4B airliner in Washington. He doesn't know what kind of engines are in it. I do.

top topics

join