It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vimanas - The Ancient Indian Astronaut Connection

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I first remember reading about vimanas, i.e. highly advanced ancient Indian flying machines, in Chariots Of The Gods, the first international best-seller of the controversial author Erich Von Daniken. Down the years I have come across several other interesting references to vimanas elsewhere, too. It wasn't , however, until I recently received an e mail from an Indian reader of my article Ancient Astronauts, that I recalled just how very intriguing these vimanas and, indeed, many other references to space travel and fantastically advanced technology in ancient Indian texts are. To this end, the following piece is intended to take a fresh look at vimanas and, moreover, explore the Indian ancient astronaut connection in general.

Read Full Article Here:
Ancient Indian Vimanas

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Von Daiken is a liar and a fraud.

His books are full of lies and half truths.

Nothing the man says can be considered as evidence, he writes good stroies, nothing more.

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 07:21 AM
link   
one of the famuous stories also describes flying with one of these machines to the 7 different worlds with different species of inteligent beings as well as a pretty good description of earth from space....

I cant remember where its written exactly, ill look it up at home.

PS: An american scientist developed a 360 degree turning wheel with ideas from these scriptures as well.

Daniken may or may not be a fraud, but these writings actually do exist

peace

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by nukunuku
one of the famuous stories also describes flying with one of these machines to the 7 different worlds with different species of inteligent beings as well as a pretty good description of earth from space....

Actually, no, it doesn't. This isn't anywhere in the Hindu scriptures.

There is a "channeled book" about them, but it was "channeled" in about 1920, when we already knew about this stuff. The things mentioned in the channeled book are consistant with what we knew back then (but are really outdated in terms of today's science.)

We discussed this at length some months ago.

PS: An american scientist developed a 360 degree turning wheel with ideas from these scriptures as well.

Erm... say what???

All wheels turn 360 degrees. You can stop them from doing this, but that's what they normally do.

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I don't believe that these stories of advanced technologies in antiquity are all false. Archeologists have just found and ancient battery in Bagdad. Now if such technology had existed, how would a so called "primative" civilization know of such thing in the first place. They would create things that were shown to them. The didn't just one day say "hey maybe i'll get a jar and some acid and make a battery for my chariot". (a crude description i'm sure).

www.unmuseum.org...

good on ya.

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Indellkoffer

Originally posted by nukunuku

Actually, no, it doesn't. This isn't anywhere in the Hindu scriptures.

There is a "channeled book" about them, but it was "channeled" in about 1920, when we already knew about this stuff. The things mentioned in the channeled book are consistant with what we knew back then (but are really outdated in terms of today's science.)

We discussed this at length some months ago.

Erm... say what???

All wheels turn 360 degrees. You can stop them from doing this, but that's what they normally do.

Sorry for misunderstanding, i meant the wheel that can turn in all direction as well as rotate..you know the type that they can strap you too and rotate you in all directions.

Ill try to find the name of the book that the 7 civilizations were mentioned in...its not chanelled material, that im sure of....might be in Popol Vuh or something like that. I know its some pretty well known book i dont remember if it was hindu exactly

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by fishmaster
I don't believe that these stories of advanced technologies in antiquity are all false. Archeologists have just found and ancient battery in Bagdad. Now if such technology had existed, how would a so called "primative" civilization know of such thing in the first place.

fishmaster,
A wet cell battery is nothing but a galvanic cell. Galvanic cells occur anytime you have two dissimilar metals in close proximity with each other in addition to water. Like a piece of copper and a piece of iron laying one on top of the other out in the backyard, followed by a rainy day. It's not outside the bounds of imagination that the current produced in an "accidental" galvanic cell such as this could have been noticed. It is absolutely certain that the corrosion from galvanic action would have been noticed. It's likely that the cause of this type of corrosion was looked into by the people whose job it was to prevent corrosion of valuable metal items back in those days (armorers, etc.) It's a short, perfectly understandable and logical step from this to the creation of an "artificial" galvanic cell such as the Bahgdad battery.

Originally posted by fishmasterThey would create things that were shown to them. The didn't just one day say "hey maybe i'll get a jar and some acid and make a battery for my chariot". (a crude description i'm sure).

Your description is not crude in the least, you only left out the two dissimilar metals. This battery is a jar presumably filled with an electrolyte.
Please see if you can find out what the voltage would be on the vaunted "Bahgdad battery," which was not "just recently" found, by the way. I seem to remember it could only have been a trickle, enough for a small electroplating process (that's the assumed use for the thing,) not enough to run a chariot. Not to mention the "mysterious" absence of evidence for electric motors in ancient times.

Think of the value of a small battery like this to fraudulent salesmen, just electroplate a thin layer of gold over some small iron piece and charge a price much higher than it's worth. Sounds a little more like reality.

Apparently you are under the impression that ancient peoples were stupid idiots. The truth is of course that ancient people were exactly the same as you and me. Your statement that "They would create things that were shown to them" is belied by the many known accomplishments of ancient people.

You attitude toward ancient man will only get in the way of the possibility of any future understanding on your part of the roots of today's civilization. Assuming, of course, that you wish to obtain such an understanding.

Harte

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Does anyone else find in coincidental that the the same civilization who used Vimanas, also considered the cow sacred? I mean with cow abductions/mutilations, there has to be some sort of connection.

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   
The Hindu's consider a lot of animals to be sacred. Rats and Monkeys included, and I'd personally call them pests.

Anyway, I've never actually read any of von Danekin's (whatever the spelling) work, but I have read up on vimanas. They were powered by a mercury-fueled engine, and could rise into the sky and move toward any point of the compass at will. Apparently. Apparently some had multiple stories too. The wiki article is quite comprehensive on it, as I recall.

If memory serves, the NASA Deep Space probe, launched in 1999, had a mercury-ion engine, which just goes to show it is at least within the realms of the possible, if not probable.

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by C.C.Benjamin
If memory serves, the NASA Deep Space probe, launched in 1999, had a mercury-ion engine, which just goes to show it is at least within the realms of the possible, if not probable.

Nope. Deep Space used xenon, not mercury. Mercury is hard to handle and ineffective; only the earliest of ion engines attempted to use it. Guess the advanced ancients never figured that out when flying their grand cities. Yay for modern technology even exceeding fantasy technology!!!

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harte
Apparently you are under the impression that ancient peoples were stupid idiots. The truth is of course that ancient people were exactly the same as you and me.

Pretty much. The majority weren't as formally educated but there were certainly people running around who were every bit as smart as an Einstein, except that instead of applying their genius to theoretical physics they used it to try and figure out the best way to grow crops or track the stars or build interesting little machines (although unlikely workable flying machines), most of which have been lost.

I think the Egyptian priest Imhotep is a good example of this. That dude was as smart or smarter than most people today. I hope they find his tomb (and relatively undisturbed) one of these days. Might have some interesting stuff in it.

[edit on 7-3-2008 by Nohup]

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Mercury though very toxic does have the property to expand with a small amount of heat.Mercury under pressure and heated correctly will create great force.There have been Mercury circulators combined with turbines to produce very efficent energy(electrical current).There is a possibility they harnessed that property of Mercury.

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by daddyroo45

Have been being the keywords. Mercury vapour turbines have long been obsolete as its not very effective to funnel millions of tons of mercury into power plants.

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 02:40 AM
link   
The point is, it is a legitimate fuel source.

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Merka
I believe we are talking about two different types of motion.The system of which I speak is a closed system where the Mercury is pressurized heated and circulated through the turbine vanes.It took a moderate heat source to move the model.
The one use I am aware of for mercury vapor was lighting,street lights etc.

top topics

join