It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anglers Baiting Hooks With live Kittens

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2003 @ 12:12 AM
link   
.. is there a theme emerging here? What a handy use for kittens! It saves having to thread those worms on the hook...

www.local6.com...

POSTED: 10:44 a.m. EDT July 10, 2003
UPDATED: 10:50 a.m. EDT July 10, 2003
Police in Italy said anglers are using live kittens as bait while fishing for sheat fish, according to a report.

Giuseppe Lagana, who is a police officer in Mantua, told the European Independent Digital news organization that the first such incident authorities are aware of occurred in May and that police believe there were others as well.

Apparently, the anglers are using the kittens to catch a giant catfish called a sheat fish, which can weigh as much as 660 pounds.

"We've received a lot of indications that there are other such cases," he told The Independent. "During one of our last nocturnal patrols, one boat managed to evade our checks. It ignored warnings and cleared off with its lights extinguished.

We suspect that this was also one of these fishermen without a conscience. Using live kittens to catch sheat fish is an unheard of cruelty." The sheatfish is not a native species of Italian waterways and has taken over as the river's largest predator, KNSD-TV reported.

Having consumed all of the area's eels and carp, the sheatfish has been observed gobbling up ducks and rats, according to the report.

posted on Aug, 28 2003 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Grrr. this makes me mad.
why can't they use dynamite like everyone else?

I wonder with the cat flavor?
does it still taste like chicken?

posted on Aug, 28 2003 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Isn't that a title that you just can't resist clicking? Its positivly addicting! you HAVE to click it and read more...

posted on Aug, 28 2003 @ 12:27 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 28 2003 @ 01:02 AM
link   
I hope the people who were using the live cats as bait go to jail for life. It is wrong in so many ways and should not be tolerated.

posted on Aug, 28 2003 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by ilovepizza
I hope the people who were using the live cats as bait go to jail for life. It is wrong in so many ways and should not be tolerated.

Your right but it is still funny.
I have have never eaten a pussy cat before I dont know what it would taste like but I think the idea is
humourous

posted on Aug, 28 2003 @ 01:29 AM
link   
It is not funny at all. How can you say fishing with live cats as bait is funny? Would you be laughing if someone put bear attracting scent on you and used you as baid to attract bears for hunting? I dont think you would be luaghing as the bear came chasing after you.

posted on Aug, 28 2003 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Apparently, the anglers are using the kittens to catch a giant catfish called a sheat fish, which can weigh as much as 660 pounds.

Using kittens to catch catfish, pretty ironic!

Pizza, I agree it's pretty sick but jail for life is a bit harsh, after all they should have 8 more lives right?

posted on Aug, 28 2003 @ 01:36 AM
link   

It is not funny at all. How can you say fishing with live cats as bait is funny? Would you be laughing if someone put bear attracting scent on you and used you as baid to attract bears for hunting? I dont think you would be luaghing as the bear came chasing after you.

It depends, in sharing your vision I would need to know would it be a bear like Yogi bear? Or the bernestein bears or even Smoky the Bear?
Cos It would really be cool to be in a cartoon and only me and smokey can prevent forest fires. I would really need to know more before I could answer your proposed fishing experiment.

Mark

[Edited on 28-8-2003 by MarkosOrrealus]

posted on Aug, 28 2003 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Ok obviously you dont think this is wrong. You think it is funny and then make sarcastic remarks.

Ok maybe life in jail is harsh, but i think the jail time shouldnt be short because it was something done to a cat not a person. I believe the crime should determine the jail time not who the crime was done to, which in this case was cats.

posted on Aug, 28 2003 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Mrrrrowoww?
lmao

posted on Aug, 28 2003 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Ok obviously you dont think this is wrong. You think it is funny and then make sarcastic remarks.

Ok maybe life in jail is harsh, but i think the jail time shouldnt be short because it was something done to a cat not a person. I believe the crime should determine the jail time not who the crime was done to, which in this case was cats.

Well first of all I think that killing a defenseless animal for gaming purposes is wrong. But then again in the olden days of my ancestors we used all kinds of different animals as bait not only for fish but for bears and rabbits as well. In this particular instance If I really felt that debating with you over feline fishbait was going to save many kittys from this horrible demise
I would certainly be so inclined.
Since this is not the case and my current viewpoint of this article is amusing.
I digress.

Apologies if I have offended you with my viewpoint but in all sincerty I really would rather spend my time focusing and debating issues that I may have a small chance at changing in my own country.

toodles
Mark

posted on Aug, 28 2003 @ 05:29 AM
link   

This seems to be a bit of an over-reaction. It is also confusing to me. Let's review:

The angler, irrespective of the bait he uses, is attempting to catch a creature by hooking it (hopefully in the mouth, but he'll be okay with a gut hook if it's swallowed), wrestled in for gawd only knows how long...with a hook in it, brought out of the environment that it can live in (i.e. we can view this as drowning or suffocating), probably dropped on ice for some unknown time, and if the angler is lucky enough to make it back to shore in time...cut open, gutted and skinned while still alive.

So why, all of a sudden, does fishing constitute life in jail because a kitty got thrown in the mix? Maybe this extreme position has something to do with where you grew up. In rural areas, pet populations are kept under control in manners that alleviate fanatical responses to kitty-drowning fishermen.

I find this an interesting concept to kitty population control...after all, all they do is grow up to be cats.

posted on Aug, 28 2003 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Big V

Aquatic creatures most especially fish are known not to suffer as small feline mammals do.

posted on Aug, 28 2003 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Thats just sick and wrong... just makes me mad.... kittens have so many other uses...

posted on Aug, 28 2003 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Netchicken

Your temporary avatar of frumpish housewife placekicking toddler for touch on your topic of Italian fishermen using live kittens for bait is causing me to question in my own mind what sort of day you have had.

posted on Aug, 28 2003 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Thats just sick and wrong... just makes me mad.... kittens have so many other uses...

Example:
Coats,hats, pillows various seasonings.......the list is endless......................

posted on Aug, 28 2003 @ 05:46 AM
link   
I was not offended by any ones view points. You can have your own opinions but i just dont understand how using live cats as fish bait is funny.

posted on Aug, 28 2003 @ 05:47 AM
link   

I was not offended by any ones view points. You can have your own opinions but i just dont understand how using live cats as fish bait is funny.

I guess its all in how tight your underwear is today.

Mark

posted on Aug, 28 2003 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
Big V

Aquatic creatures most especially fish are known not to suffer as small feline mammals do.

MA, could you please provide a link that describes (and hopefully has pics of) the "fish-pain-o-meter" that was used to come to this conclusion? Also, a technical paper on how they correlated the readings from the above referenced measuring device to the "kitty-pain-o-meter"..well, I guess I'd need a link to that one too.

Thanks for sharing the little-known research knowledge!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join