It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Al Qaeda Attack Against Israeli Cruise Ships Foiled

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 03:20 PM
link   
A terror attack against israeli tourists were prevented in the southern Turkish port of Alanya. Turkish security forces arrested some Al Qaeda members and they found a boat loaded with 400kg of TNT. 4 Israeli cruise ships with 3 500 passengers were redirected to alternate destinations.

News24.com: Al-Qaeda attack foiled

Turkish security forces prevented a mass attack the al-Qaeda terrorist group intended launching against Israeli tourists in the southern Turkish port of Alanya, the Israeli Yediot Aharanot daily reported on Sunday.

Turkish security forces arrested the members of an al-Qaeda cell

They also found a boat docked in the harbour and loaded with 400kg of TNT, which was to have been used against the Israeli tourists.

Four Israeli cruise ships carrying 3 500 tourists to Alanya were ordered to change their routes Friday and anchor in alternate destinations following intelligence reports of a possible terror attack at the port.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is quote serious. This attack was prevented, but there might still be other Al Qaeda cells lined up for attack.

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Do these guys carry "Al-Quada" membership cards these days?

Or should this be "terrorist attack foiled against Israeli Cruise ships"?

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Remember al-qaeda is not only based out of afghanistan, it has cells in yemen,turkey, UAE, pakistan, etc.

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I think Matrix's point is that how was their origin and affiliation so quickly determined.(Don't mean to put words in your mouth matrix)

Did the terrorists say "Hi. We're your local Al_Qaida bad guys. Sorry we almost blew up your boat."

Not defending the terrorists, but don't give them credit unless you have to.

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 11:23 PM
link   
obviously if it and the people were both intercepted, logic says they knew beforehand who it was.....not hard to see how they "knew so fast".

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 11:30 PM
link   
One for the good guys!

Nice to see....

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Don't forget the Israeli Mossad and other Israeli intelligence services were involved in a 13-month effort to "recruit" an Israeli-run, phony "al-Qaeda cell" among Palestinians, so that Israel could achieve a frontline position in the U.S. war against terrorism and get a green light for a worldwide "revenge without borders" policy.

www.whatreallyhappened.com...

How many cells exactly have they established around the world? Is this why they 'know' straight away and most of the time, before hand?

These are the reasons why people say al-Qaeda doesn't exist and that terrorism is ultimately controlled by intelligence for western purposes. The investigations never lead to the top of the chain because that would expose western input, instead they lead to 'Osama' - the figure head that masks western involvement and since he's dead, he has trouble speaking up when he's been 'found' to be 'linked' to these acts.

I wonder if Turkey will expose these people and investigate their origins or if the story will just stay stuck on 'the al-Qaeda's did it' and that's all we need to know?

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 12:08 AM
link   
I changed my signature after the London Bombings. When you create a monster, you have to feed it.

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Whats that motto?
Through deception we shall fight the war?
Or what ever it is.. ' someone please correct me '
As said prior.. were they all wearin team alqaeda shirts?
Israel has already stuffed up once.. they've had some militants caught POSING as alqaeda...

Plus... if they had 500Kg of TNT in a boat docked.. whats exactly stopping them?

Did they decide to keep it strung at the jetty while they say there morning prayers? or maybe had to have one LAST cuppa coffee before they meet allah..

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Considering the new base that we've built in isreal and the more recent affiliations with isreal it could have been the U.S. gave them a heads up to make isreal look good and to give americans more trust in isreal. Most of your common americans couldn't give you a straight edged answer on anything related to the middle east, everything and every country within is the same to them. So they might want to "break" appart isreal from the middle east concept and basic steriotypes to make our occupation there more acceptable for the coming times. It kinda goes along with the gas testing in New York sub ways and transit systems. Why would they spend the time and money if they weren't trying to prepare us for something. The government does enough to filter what exactly is getting into our news/media and what isn't. They don't do anything for no good reason, or bad depending how you look at it.

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt
A terror attack against israeli tourists were prevented in the southern Turkish port of Alanya.

Also, four Israeli cruise ships carrying about 3,500 Israelis en route to Turkey were instructed to head for ports in Greece and Cyprus Friday after warnings of threats by international Islamic terrorists.

Today, the National Security Council Counter-Terrorism Office issued a travel warning, urging Israelis to refrain from visiting the southern coast of Turkey, between Alanya and Kemer, due to "concrete terrorist threat" . The strip includes the city of Antalya, which is very popular among Israeli tourists.

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 04:52 AM
link   
A suspected Syrian al-Qaida militant appeared before a Turkish court Thursday to face charges, and shouted to journalists from a courthouse window that he was planning to attack Israeli cruise ships on Turkey's Mediterranean coast.

"I have no regrets. I was going to attack Israeli ships. If they come, my friends will attack them," the man shouted. The semiofficial Anatolia news agency identified him only by the initials L.S.

"I had prepared a ton of explosives," he said in a barely audible voice.

The man also shouted "Allah Akbar," Arabic for "God is great," before officials pulled him back and closed the window. He spoke Turkish with an Arabic accent.

Defense lawyer Osman Kara said authorities caught his client with 750 kilograms (1,650 pounds) of explosives, CNN-Turk television reported.

"He was planning to hit Israeli ships in international waters with these explosives," CNN-Turk quoted Kara as saying.

Turkey: Al-Qaida suspect confesses to plotting attack

Turkish police said the man brought to court Thursday was also believed to have acted as a mediator between al-Qaida and Turkish extremists responsible for the 2003 bombings of two synagogues, the British Consulate and a British bank. He also is believed to have helped the bombing masterminds flee the country. The bombings left some 60 people dead.

[edit on 11-8-2005 by Riwka]

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 09:53 PM
link   
I´m not sure if they let him go and then arrested him again or what...
... This article claims he was arrested on Monday. This is a bit confusing. Did they actually let him go?

Turkish man arrested over alleged attack plot on Israeli ships

10/24/2005

A Turkish man was arrested here Monday as part of a probe into an alleged plot by suspected Al-Qaeda militants to attack Israeli cruise ships off Turkey's Mediterranean coast earlier this year, the Anatolia news agency reported.

A court in Istanbul interrogated and then placed under arrest Salih Olcay, whose identity was used in a forged card held by Syrian national Louai Sakra when he was detained in August on charges of belonging to Al-Qaeda.

When arrested in August, Sakra shouted to reporters outside the courthouse that he had prepared a tonne of explosives to attack ships carrying Israeli tourists to resorts on Turkey's Mediterranean coast. Another Syrian, Hamed Obysi, believed to be a go-between for Al-Qaeda and its militants in Turkey, was arrested in the same operation

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Considering that they've been attacking public transport for a while, should this be thought of as a continuation of that or as a new phase that will focus on ships at sea? I recall that awhile back rockets were fired at a US ship in port in that region, tho they didn't reach the target.

top topics

join