It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: PETA Protesting Against KFC's Animal Cruelty

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Why are people still incapable of separating the concepts of "having a right to eat meat" with "not having a right to torture and abuse animals"? You can still eat meat and not torture animals! How dense can some people be?

On the "issue" of whether the chickens taste better if they've been tortured...I remember watching a documentary years ago on seafood. There was a crab potter and a bunch of scientists and they were saying that crabs taste better if they are killed instantly upon getting to the boat. They used a large skewer and penetrated the crabs brain with it killing it in an instant.

They then went on to say that a distressed crab releases chemicals and it adversely affects the taste of its meat.

Even if it worked the other way, and animals tasted fantastic after torture, it would still be illegal to torture animals for improved taste.

[edit on 8/8/05 by subz]

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Even if PETA succeeded in getting KFC to change their suppliers, who's to say that the next supplier is going to be 'ethical' ? I say that the odds are stacked against KFC to find a supplier that is agreeable to PETA.

Lets not forget that people that tend to work in abbatoirs are not the sort that loves or respects animals. Their whole job revolves about killing animals, and if you do it that many times you are totally removed from the killing act and ignorant of the creatures feelings. The animal is merely a product to them, and they are on a production line.

I used to know someone who worked in an abbatoir, and the stories he used to tell of what he did to the animals would make you sick. But he used to say the stories with such amusement, he genuinely got his kicks out of abusing the animals.

This has been going on for years and will never change as far as I can see.

This is one of the few times that I believe that ignorance is bliss. In our modern 'civilised' society it is better not to know what process took place to get the chicken into the burger.

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Even if PETA succeeded in getting KFC to change their suppliers, who's to say that the next supplier is going to be 'ethical' ?

Our dollar says it all. It's the consumer who holds the power to spare the animals the unnecessary torture. If we don't care, it's mostly because we don't even know, and that is why it continues.

If we don't buy a particular product at all, or choose a happier one from a kinder company, we can force the end to such abuse of the animals. As long as we buy bad meat, we support the bad industry.

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by EarthSister
If we don't buy a particular product at all, or choose a happier one from a kinder company, we can force the end to such abuse of the animals. As long as we buy bad meat, we support the bad industry.

Who decides who the good companies are? Their PR departments?

The person I was talking about that works for an abbatoir, supplies meat to the local butchers. These are traditionally the good companies to which you refer.

My point was that it is impossible for the public to buy from an ethical meat producer because they are so few and far between. Unless you are killing the animal yourself, you do not know what has happened to that animal before it ends up on your plate.

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Maybe those who are supposed to be determining which industry farms are acceptable and which are not are out to lunch at their jobs because the consumer doesn't demand common decency, since most consumers really don't even know what they are eating or where it came from or how it lived. Or maybe the inspectors are getting paid off by the industry. I have heard that some farms hire and pay their own inspectors. I would not doubt that ever happens, but I couldn't know by whom.

Many of the businesses, especially KFC apparently, that buy from the industry farms, such as Tyson apparently, just want cheap meat, not decent care for the animals or quality of the product. PETA is MADE of people who DO care, some very much and very personally, and they take it to the consumers by doing whatever they have to do to be heard, because it's the consumers who have the final word on who their dollar will support and who it will not.

Most of us care once we are just aware of the suffering. And people who care about the treatment of industry animals at all, take notice of this problem whether they eat them or not. Those of us who don't decide take on that battle ourselves, should at least be supportive of those who do. After all, all of the protection laws apply to all of us, for all of us, and more to the point- the final product belongs to all of those who eat industry animals.

If we refuse to support unnecessary cruelty to the animals that we are going to eat (bad meat) then those farms and businesses will have to raise their standards to supply to our demand. They won't still be there in hiding, beating up the animals for no reason. It's dim to simply dismiss the problem with thinking that the animals are suffering regardless of whether we eat them or not, or that if we don't eat them somebody else will anyway.

You know, this debate is a hot one, and a stupid one. It's hot because it's not a small issue, but so many people need to witness a little needless torture themselves in order to "get it" -- maybe even imagine the feeling of a little bit of it on their own pets, or on their own bodies. And it's stupid because it's such a no-brainer that as long as we continue to mindlessly, blindly buy bad meat, the animals will continue to be abundantly over bred to live and die in utter torture.

I know, they are just animals. Compared to people, when we have to pick our battles or cut our losses, people come first, but this is dinner, not war. And the way we treat the others who are within our reach and dependent on our care says everything about our own moral character as people, not about the comparable value of the others.

[edit on 8/8/2005 by EarthSister]

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 04:32 PM
link   

You know, this debate is a hot one, and a stupid one. It's hot because it's not a small issue, but so many people need to witness a little needless torture themselves in order to "get it" -- maybe even imagine the feeling of a little bit of it on their own pets, or on their own bodies.

Maybe not imagining a living food product is the same as a pet or person could help liberate some of the PETA people from the bonds that chain them to over-emotional, irrational targeting of industry. I don't see how the actions of the people on the tapes can be used as an indictment on the whole industry and KFC in particular.

If the torture was the issue then PETA has enough video evidence to hand it over to police and ask charges be filed against the men who did it. But that is not what they did, at least not to my knowledge. Nope, rather than hold those actually responsible to account, PETA has chosen the old tryed and true method for dealing with percieved injustice. Make one incident an indictment of all in that business, use the video to go after a corporation, try a boycott (which is more likely to hurt KFC's low paid workers the most, the ones with no control over the company's actions), and lastly I'm sure this will appear in PETA fundraising efforts.

Yup, leave it to a group like PETA to go the completely opposite direction of logic to achieve it's goals. Had they had a role in getting the men arrested on animal cruelty charges maybe people would think twice about acting that way, instead PETA chooses to play a "connect-the-dots" game with KFC and it's suppliers, which ultimately must be good for fundraising if nothing else.

Assuming that a boycott of KFC is going to make the whole industry crack down on "abuse" seems like the longest distance between two points, wouldn't asking that the people who actually did the things on the tape pay the price be the easiest way to achieve the goal? I'm sure if people in other slaughter houses heard that you can go to jail for kicking the chickens they would think twice about doing it, but if the only thing that is done is a silly boycott of a fast food joint what is the deterrent?

I'm not sure which is sillier, PETA's tactics and methods here or that not one person in this thread has stopped to think that maybe it's the lowest paid workers at KFC who get screwed by this stupid boycott. The people on the tape doing the bad things are the problem so why are people making minimum wage deep frying chicken all day going to pay?

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I like to eat meat a lot. I think PETA is wrong to go about things the way it does. Fanatical vegans etc. I'd like to eat meat that hasn't been tortured for the last few moments of it's life. I hate people that torture animals, even if I am going to eat a chicken, or a cow or a pig, theres no need to hurt it needlessly. I'd imagine that this incident of the factory is one off by some sick freak(s)? If this was commonplace and chickens were tossed around and jumped upon, wouldn't the factory (slaughter house - sorry I dont know the word to use) managers have something to say about this at least? It does make me wonder what kind of Texas chainsaw massacre inbreds are working in slaughterhouses if this is indeed common. I believe it is either faked or a one off incident(s) that PETA are upset about. Of course I'm sure that it does happen, but not on the scale that PETA is trying to convey (that KFC = tortured chickens)

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Wake up and smell the roses people. Just because Peta found a few places that mistreated chickens does not mean they are all bad. They are blowing this way out of proportion. Does it happen yes unforntuntely it does on occasion and that is mostly do to improper training or the inability of some illegals to understand the English language. That means it is not KFCs fault it is the fault of the slaughterhouse, yet peta wants you to believe their lies.

Peta also claims they save animals when in reality they kill them.
www.atsnn.com...

www.petakillsanimals.com...

Trust me, what they are showing you is not the norm, they just want you to think it is. Do not buy their line of bull it is not worth getting your shorts in a bundle.

Also check the realted links and see what they do to animals, they should be the last ones to complain they are just as guilty if not more so, since they claim they are saving animals which is a down right lie

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by shots
Wake up and smell the roses people. Just because Peta found a few places that mistreated chickens does not mean they are all bad. They are blowing this way out of proportion. Does it happen yes unforntuntely it does on occasion and that is mostly do to improper training or the inability of some illegals to understand the English language. That means it is not KFCs fault it is the fault of the slaughterhouse, yet peta wants you to believe their lies.

This member gets the Golden Chicken Wing award. Exactly. Misuses are rare, slaughterhouses are government regulated and product going to national distributers like KFC are federally regulated. PETA DOES blow things out of proportion, sometimes even fabricating evidence.

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Ludicrous.

How can anybody think that the only time industry animals are abused "like that" is when there is a hidden camera to capture it on tape? And how can anybody think that when the lowly workers aren't paid enough to be kind to the animals, that the foremen are? Look at that- everybody else there is obviously very used to this happening all the time in that place.

It's a problem with the whole industry, regardless of which farms torture their animals at all, or all their lives, or just at their slaughter. And it's a problem with all of us that we can't stop any farm from committing such needless abuse even one time! It's already against the law!

As for PETA, when somebody is unaware he is doing something that is causing others harm, and you need to get his attention but he continues to ignore you, you have to YELL VERY LOUDLY to make him look and understand the problem, even though he prefers to be oblivious to it.

I said how I feel for anybody who doesn't realize the problem, or realizes it but doesn't care and doesn't want to hear about it. It hurts me a great deal that any intelligent person of my race can stand up and look at it and then trivialize and defend it.

Anyone who has not visited the inside of a bad industry farm, or spent some of their lunch hour on the PETA site reading articles, looking at pictures and hidden camera videos of the wide variety of "consumer" animals being mass tortured, has no right, for any reason, to defend the needless cruel abuse of even one single little chicken.

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Ludicrous.

Anyone who has not visited the inside of a bad industry farm, or spent some of their lunch hour on the PETA site reading articles, looking at pictures and hidden camera videos of the wide variety of "consumer" animals being mass tortured, has no right, for any reason, to defend the needless cruel abuse of even one single little chicken.

Anyone that spends an hour looking at PETAs website needs their head examined, it is filled with nothing but lies.

A good example of their bad judgement/lies would be their anti milk adds. Telling kids it is unsafe to drink milk is a lie. Telling them to drink beer instead is Ludicrous. You do not have to be a rocket scientist to see who is telling the truth here and who is not. I know one thing it sure as hell is not the real doctors of the world (that excludes PCRM).

As for this being a industry wide problem. that is a negative assumption, a visit to one will open anyones eyes; yes I agree with that, because I know if you visit one you will not see what PETA claims is normal is not.

Now for anyone with an ounce of brains let me ask you two questions.

Is telling kids to drink beer responsible? If your answer was Yes you should seek professional help immediately. (it is also against the law for minors to drink beer). But what does Peta care they will not be breaking the laws yet they advocate others doing so by telling underage individuals to drink beer instead.

Are all doctors who advocate drinking milk to help build bones liars? (Keep in mind there is solid scientific evidence that states contrary to PETAs lies.)

[edit on 8/9/2005 by shots]

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 06:03 PM
link   
shots

Show everybody where PETA tells kids to drink beer. If it's true, I want to know about it. Either way, it still does not make it ok for even one farm to torture animals, which is the topic of the discussion.

Many people who do not belong to PETA don't want animals to be tortured and don't drink cow's milk or beer.

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 08:54 PM
link   

shots

Show everybody where PETA tells kids to drink beer. If it's true, I want to know about it.

Oh its true alright had you taken time to look you would have found the info on your own.

Two years ago, PETA got a rise out of everyone from dairy farmers to Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD) with its tongue-in-cheek advisory to college kids that milk is so bad, nutritionally speaking, that even beer is better for you!

www.milksucks.com...

A public relations campaign urging college students to drink beer instead of milk because of alleged inhumanities in the dairy industry came under fire from Mothers Against Drunk Driving for irresponsibility.
www.yaledailynews.com...

There are another 30 to 50 k of posts saying the very same thing if you take the time to look.

Only fools believe what PETA says

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Thanks for showing that, shots. Now read the whole of the articles. Every point in them is great.

I gave my opinion on the problem and it stands.

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Now read the whole of the articles. Every point in them is great.

I gave my opinion on the problem and it stands.

Sorry, I will leave reading their lies to the fools of the world, that are so meek as to believe their lies.

Truth About Peta lies, abuse and death

Necropsy Results Dogs Healthy and well before being killed by PETA

Peta pulls chain from holocaust comparison

Reagan gives PETA an executive order: Back off

There you want truth; read those rather then PETAS lies. After reading them you will find out who is being cruel to animals and who is not. PETA has no room to talk, they are just guilty.

And no I am not saying that a certain amount of abuse does not go on in slaughter houses. What I am saying though it is not the norm as PETA wants people to think.

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 12:01 PM
link   

It's not just the manner of death that is cruel. Industry animals are needlessly tortured all their lives. Most are suffering physical and emotional pain and agony from the moment they are born until the moment they mercifully die. Some industries are better than others, but none are good enough, and the worst ones are absolutely deplorable.

Even those of us who don't really think or care much about industry animals, should be aware of what we eat, and care about the animals suffering for the same reason we expect the use of anesthesia for surgery on our own pets and our own families, as well as the quality of the product. The animals feel pain every bit as well as we do.

The industry's only goal is to make as large of a profit as possible, which means mass producing substandard animals while spending as little money on their food, shelter and care as possible. Many animals are wasted, left to die sick and consumed by other hungry, crazed animals. Many are hurt in dangerous conditions and left to suffer with broken limbs. All of them are crowded and most are either freezing or sweltering, laying in their waste.

Some PETA individuals are extreme at times, but they have to be. Not enough people are listening! And they believe that SOMEBODY has to stand up for the rights of the animals to be protected from such torture. They will know when to back off, and that will be when the animals are taken better care of, when we demand a healthier happier product.

For most people, if we just see and think about what the industries are doing to hundreds of thousands of helpless animals, responsible people would choose to support with our dollar those who take MORE reasonable care of the animals we will consume.

PETA is acting out of necessity, and trying desperately to make people aware. When we finally see the truth and horror only because it's forced in our faces and we can't look the other way, let's not blame PETA for ruining our appetite.

I must say as a fellow meater you make a mighty fine point.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join