It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: PETA Protesting Against KFC's Animal Cruelty

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Here's the end-point question. Answer me this:

If it requires breaking a chicken's neck and/or whacking it on the head one time with a mallet, what advantage would come of doing anything else to it but those one or two things? Why would you do it? Why would it even be allowed by the company you work for? And why would your major customer not ask for assurances it has stopped?

If there is no reason in the slaughter process, then there is no acceptable reason for doing it. And in my mind - that's pretty well followed with a period. One iota of extra pain inflicted on a creature other than the necessary steps for slaughtering it is "sick bastard" activity.

p.s. - no comment on the chicken/snake question. it would probably be biased by my inability to comprehend why you would have as a pet a snake big enough to eat a chicken in the first place. lol

[edit on 8-7-2005 by Valhall]

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 11:24 AM
link   
If every creature in the animal kingdom was considerate and humane to the food they are about to kill and consume, all known beastial lineages would have died out a long time ago. It seems apparent that even though we have the ability to be compassionate towards our food, we have the ability to create certain laws pertaining the treatment of animals, we are still governed by our primal instinct. We are animals with shoes. That's what it comes down to.

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I am very loving towards my food, I see my steak coming out to me and I get excited, so giddy like a school girl at Nysncstock. They place it infront of me, I give it then once over and then I cut into the beefy goodness, and with each bite I savor the flavor and with each bite, I let the juice swish around in my mouth.

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 11:48 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Val, last response and the I promise I'm gonna leave this one alone

The business of killing is never as black and white as you make it sound. It may seem like I am defending the actions on those tapes, but I'm not. I am simply saying that in the broader context of the life and death of the chickens, from the manner in which slaughter bound chickens are raised to the manner in which they meet their demise, what was shown on the tapes shouldn't really be that big a surprise. I would imagine most slaughter houses don't have employees that behave that way, but I would concede that finding animal welfare minded chicken killers is hard. I don't imagine those people make much more than $10 or so an hour, what kind of caliber personality does that for that kind of money?

As for the snake thing, you'd be surprised. It doesn't take a snake being too big to consume a normal sized chicken. My friend's snake was a Burmese Python which is actually a very common pet snake in the U.S. Most people feed their snakes rabbits because chickens can cause injury to the snakes, but some snakes just prefer the chickens. In order to protect the pet some of the people remove the beaks, feet, and legs.

BTW, I hate snakes!!!!!!!

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Looking at this in diagnostic mode, one can thoughtfully validate the central point of why PETA or any other group from their point of view has to resort to such tactics.

People are in a fishbowl mind, shutting out information, and feeling helpless to change anything when they peer out of the circular waters. You could call PETA counterpropaganda if anything. In this Meisner effect, people demonstated their apathy at calling the police years ago when it was clearly necessary for a screaming woman in the street. The same goes for torture which is a reflection of factory farming extended to concentrated living conditions for people who are abused too routinely. Once established the intestinal fluke of apathy feeds the disorder cult of raw government power, which is actually cowardice ignorance and fear. What has happened to even the motions of having a democracy when outrage is directed to the messenger rather than the wrong-doer?

There is almost too much one can write about apathy, but this somnambulism shows itself almost daily and it does not take too much to wake up from it, but once you do there are deeper levels of this sleep that others refuse to relinquish. All of it sums up the feeling "nobody can do anything," the biggest lie of all.

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Skip, is it apathy that makes people dislike PETA, or is it the outlandish tactics and highbrow idealism behind them?

Is it apathy that makes some feel that maybe the "messenger" is wrong?

I could agree that apathy is major factor in many things, it may be a large reason why almost nothing will come of this story. It could also be that the emotional trauma suffered by a chicken being kicked across a room just before it has it's head cut off to provide some tasty fried goodness just doesn't rate very high on the scale of things most people have to worry about. Sorry to put it so bluntly, but kick someone's children and yeah they're gonna get mad, kick a chicken and send a group of animal rights activists out with a tape and they don't get so bothered. Sorry. You can blame apathy, I prefer to believe it is just truely not all that big a deal. (unless you can find a tape of Bin-Laden kicking a chicken, then i would be all crazy mad at chicken kickers.)

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
While PETA really gripes my backside, in this particular instance they have something worth pursuing. The video was terrible. Yeah - we have to ring a chicken's neck and then process it to eat it, but we don't have to jump up and down on them (while they're alive) like we're a 5 year old in a moon-walk bouncy, and we don't have to throw them against walls and kick them.

Val I didn't see a link to a video. If you have one please share. Never mind, the post below your's had it.

Ok, now I've seen the video I agree with your post. Kill them & eat them yes, but do so with some semblance of human dignity in the process.

[edit on 7-8-2005 by Astronomer68]

[edit on 7-8-2005 by Astronomer68]

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Well.the last time i tasted KFC,which was 11 years ago,i realised it was more gross batter than chicken.Does anyone still eat that stuff??

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Like said by a few people in this thread, the chickens are there to be slaughtered. Thats not what PETA is protesting against. What they are protesting against is the cruel and barbaric extracurricular activity these perverts are indulging in.

There is no need to bounce chickens off walls and the fact that they will be slaughtered in the end is irrelevent. We have no right to be cruel to animals. You can still kill animals for food and not be cruel. If you cant comprehend that then thats youre loss and be prepared to be charged under the clear laws that protect all animals from this heinous act.

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 04:18 PM
link   
If a man hunts a great white shark, would it be considered as cruel by PETA? quite possibly...

If a great white shark had been attacking an human prior to this would this change their opinion?

The fact that PETA can put an animals well being before a human is ludacris. How often have you heard PETA going over to Africa to stop President Mugabi from his tyranni? Does this barbaric act differ in any way?

I think not.. it just happens to be that protecting animals is the more fashionable and safest option.

I say throw them to the lions and see how humane they feel afterwards.

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Peta has every right to persue KFC. Animals should not be treated this way. If stomping on chickings and throwing them against walls made them taste better that would be a different story. Even in the old days a person would cut off the chickens head first thing. That ways the chiken doesnt suffer as much. MEAT TASTE GOOD! I could never become vegetarian even if my life depended on it. Peta is also very bad at times. They even got caught abusing dog corpses and dumpin them in a dumbster. In this case though peta has a point.

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by AndrewTB
Peta has every right to persue KFC.

Wrong Peta has no right to persue KFC, they did not kill or misshandle the chickens that was done by a slaugther house, so lets put the blame were it belongs.

PETA is so brain dead they need to have their 501c status taken away, they are nothing but terrorist posing as animal activists. They do not give a darn about the animals if they had their way they would kill them all. And let us not forget they also kill animals they claim they had saved. They should be the last ones to talk.

I could go on and on about this since I had family members who were in the poultry business for years, so I know what it was like then and what it like now. Trust me for the most part the industry has changed their ways big time as mandated by the USDA.

If you want to lay the blame anywhere it should be on the industry for hiring ilegals who do not follow the rules.

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I love my meat and could never become a vegetarian, but I want the animals I eat to have been treated as humanely and with as much as respect as possible. They shouldn't be tortured or abused.

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I mean, if the chickens are in need being tortured it should stop. Thats just unessesary, on the other hand i do love fried chicken, so there is always POPYES!

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by biopolitical
I mean, if the chickens are in need being tortured it should stop. Thats just unessesary, on the other hand i do love fried chicken, so there is always POPYES!

Who do you think Popyes buys their chickens from?

More then likely one of the very same vendors that KFC uses. KFC like anyother big chain uses several vendors not just one. Example KFC sells chicken in the UK, do you think they ship the chickens from the US? No of course not. The same goes for McDonalds with their hamburgers or any major fast food chain. They get their products from the local country whenever possible.

Do not believe the BS that Peta is spreading. Hell they attacked Safeway grocery stores a while back also. Nothing new for PETA they simply hate meat and meat eaters. Tell them to go you know where and get on with life.

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 06:48 PM
link   
It's not just the manner of death that is cruel. Industry animals are needlessly tortured all their lives. Most are suffering physical and emotional pain and agony from the moment they are born until the moment they mercifully die. Some industries are better than others, but none are good enough, and the worst ones are absolutely deplorable.

Even those of us who don't really think or care much about industry animals, should be aware of what we eat, and care about the animals suffering for the same reason we expect the use of anesthesia for surgery on our own pets and our own families, as well as the quality of the product. The animals feel pain every bit as well as we do.

The industry's only goal is to make as large of a profit as possible, which means mass producing substandard animals while spending as little money on their food, shelter and care as possible. Many animals are wasted, left to die sick and consumed by other hungry, crazed animals. Many are hurt in dangerous conditions and left to suffer with broken limbs. All of them are crowded and most are either freezing or sweltering, laying in their waste.

Some PETA individuals are extreme at times, but they have to be. Not enough people are listening! And they believe that SOMEBODY has to stand up for the rights of the animals to be protected from such torture. They will know when to back off, and that will be when the animals are taken better care of, when we demand a healthier happier product.

For most people, if we just see and think about what the industries are doing to hundreds of thousands of helpless animals, responsible people would choose to support with our dollar those who take MORE reasonable care of the animals we will consume.

PETA is acting out of necessity, and trying desperately to make people aware. When we finally see the truth and horror only because it's forced in our faces and we can't look the other way, let's not blame PETA for ruining our appetite.

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I don't care what PETA ever says...I love KFC Chicken and I always will.
God put them here for us to eat and thats what I'll do for the rest of my life...
Pick on some other food chain Peta!

[edit on 7-8-2005 by MagicaRose]

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I wonder how many people that advocate the eating of meat could actually catch, kill, gut, and prepare any kind of animal? I wonder how many people could prepare foie de veau a la lyonnaise to serve 20 and actually sit down to eat afterwards? Sorry anyways, I have been both vegetarian, and omnivorous at various points in my life, and as such have been around plenty of PETA people, as well as had my run-ins with them.

I do not agree with PETA pushing vegetarianism as it is not whats best for our body. The fact of the matter is the human body does absorb certain animal proteins easier than many vegetable sources, that does not mean that we need to eat meat every day though either. I truly think that if they were a bit more inclusive they would get more support.

PETA should be applauded for their antics though, and for bringing up many of the issues that surround the practice of factory farming. From the mention of our consumer lifestyle that is truly not sustainable, to the deplorable conditions that are necesarry just to bring that food to the KFC, PETA does raise some valid points.

They are always thinking of new, and improved ways to shock and offend and I think its great. If they got one child to question where his food came from that day then that is a good thing, and they are perfectly justified. Besides freedom of speech is still partially legal here, so they might as well use it whilst it lasts. Soon all protesters will be "terrorist" of some sort or another.

I also think the larger issue of factory farming and it's social rammifications are questionable at best, unfortunately I eat flesh so most of them hate me too. Thank God we have people like this left.

(On a side note damn those steaks looked good perfect marbling, nice photo.)

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Simulacra

The method in which the chicken is killed does not matter.

I'll agree to that as far as the result of a dead chicken. However I have some questions if the taste might be different depending on the method of death. It may be possible for the chicken to release some hormones or chemicals if the chicken doesn't die quickly so I'm not sure. I heard for instance that a chicken might taste differently if the neck is twisted before it gets broken off versus say just an axe cut across the neck. I don't know if that's a true story or if someone was just pulling my chain though. All this talk has made me hungry though. I prefer a nice cut of cow meat over chicken anyway. I don't eat KFC chicken since I believe they use MSG in their secret recipe. Now that is something I can't stomach very well.

<< 1    3 >>

join