It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korean Nuclear Disarmament Talks Suspended Again (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 05:44 AM
link   
The six-way disarmament talks over North Korea's nuclear weapons have stalled again. The talks broke down over North Koreas insistance on maintaining a peaceful nuclear power programme. The North Koreans are demanding that they receive the Light Water Reactor they were promised in the now defunkt Agreed Framework of 1994. The talks are set to resume in a few weeks.

news.yahoo.com
BEIJING - Envoys to North Korean disarmament talks on Sunday suspended their meetings for three weeks, deadlocked over the North's insistence on retaining a peaceful nuclear program.

The latest round of six-nation talks lasted 13 days. They are to resume the week of Aug. 29, Chinese Vice Foreign Minister Wu Dawei told reporters. However, he warned that even after the break, "I can't say for sure that we will reach agreement."

The American envoy, Assistant Secretary of State Christopher Hill, said contacts between Washington and Pyongyang would not have to stop during the break.

"Sure, we're willing to be in contact," Hill said. "We will continue to share our views. We won't let issues of protocol ... get in the way. We are going to work aggressively to take care of this problem."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I think the North Koreans are changing tactic in light of Iran's latest concessions from the Americans over their peaceful nuclear power programme.

They have absolutely no chance of receiving the LWR as the Agreed Framework is anathema to the Bush administrations "moral clarity". The North Koreans will push and push for it until the 11th hour, drop the demand in return for increased fuel aid, normalized relations, and a non-agression pact.

They might get one or two of the above but definately not all. The recent mellowing of the Bush administrations rhetoric on the remaining Axis of Evil troika will have encouraged the North Koreans to continue their agressive negotiations.

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 7/8/05 by subz]

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 06:01 AM
link   
well, i don't know what to make anymore with North Korea. I think North Korea know that military action will not be taken against them unless they do something insane.

The chances are, North Korea is probably going to keep dragging this along until they get what they want.

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 06:30 AM
link   
So long as nuclear birds dont start flying around I think it will be all worth it. No amount of money is too much to prevent a nuclear war.

join