It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: H5N1 (Bird Flu) Vaccine created.. effective

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 07:34 PM
link   
It appears the US Government developed a H5N1 vaccine using a version of the vaccine made when the Avian Flu first appeared in Hong Kong in 1997. The director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, Dr. Anthony S. Fauci, said that although the vaccine that had undergone preliminary tests it could be used on an emergency basis if a pandemic developed; it would still be several months before that vaccine was tested further and, if licensed, offered to the public.

www.nytimes.com
Government scientists say they have successfully tested in people a vaccine that they believe can protect against the strain of avian influenza that is spreading in birds through Asia and Russia.

Health officials have been racing to develop a vaccine because they worry that if that strain mutated and combined with a human influenza virus to create a new virus, it could spread rapidly through the world. (The vaccine cannot lead to such a situation because it is made from killed virus.)

Tens of millions of birds have died from infection with the virus and culling to prevent the spread of the virus. About 100 people have been infected, and about 50 have died from this strain of the avian influenza virus, called A(H5N1). So far there has been no sustained human-to-human transmission, but that is what health officials fear, because it could cause a pandemic. And that fear has driven the intense research to develop a vaccine.

"It's good news," Dr. Fauci said. "We have a vaccine."

But he cautioned: "We don't have all the vaccine we need to meet the possible demand. The critical issue now is, can we make enough vaccine, given the well-known inability of the vaccine industry to make enough vaccine?"

An earlier human vaccine against the A(H5N1) avian influenza virus was prepared after it first appeared in the world, in Hong Kong in 1997. That vaccine was never fully developed or used, and the strain has mutated since then.

In interviews over recent days, Dr. Fauci has said that tests so far had shown that the new vaccine produced a strong immune response among the small group of healthy adults under age 65 who volunteered to receive it, although the doses needed were higher than in the standard influenza vaccine offered each year. The vaccine, developed with genetic engineering techniques, is intended to protect against infection, not to treat those who are sick.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The United States is thought to be the only country that has produced a human vaccine against the A(H5N1) influenza strain. Australia, Canada, France and Japan are among countries where scientists are trying to develop human avian influenza vaccines, according to the World Health Organization.

This is GREAT news and a heavy burden of fear lifted off my shoulders. I've been following the H5N1 influenza for quite some time and it's had me quite worried.

I just hope they can get enough of this stuff produced if theres a pandemic!

Related News Links:
i-newswire.com
www.nytimes.co m
news.google.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
H5N1 outbreaks reported in China
Possible Human-to-Human H5N1 transmission
NEWS: India, Europe, Australia: Bird Flu Headed your Way
EXCLUSIVE: Interview with Henry L. Niman about Avian Flu

[edit on 8/6/2005 by QuietSoul]

[edit on 8-6-2005 by William One Sac]

[edit on 9-8-2005 by John bull 1]

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Well, with all the handwringing that has been going on about this threat and now we find out that the mean old terrorist US government has developed a vaccine, I don't know what to think. Certainly, we should consider keeping it to ourselves and let all those US government bashers die in their own vomit.

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Here's the bio on Dr. Anthony S. Fauci and a really good article by him (.pdf)

Here's an article regarding the Vaccine used on mice dated in July (I'm surprised we missed this) Article

They're even working on a HIV Vaccine

And if you run a search on top of this page for H5N1 you'll get a huge database of the location and type of animal they obtained their H5N1 strands from..

Edit addition: I would like to note that I see no reference on the NCBI website confirming this claim of vaccine. Only the mice article.

[edit on 8/6/2005 by QuietSoul]

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 08:13 PM
link   
This is good if it comes about in time and is readily available to everyone

somehow though I see them procrastinating and only vaccinating the chosen ones.

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 11:13 PM
link   
It was my understanding the government was contracting with a British drug co. for several million more doses of this vaccine. However, that info is based on the first time this topic came up several weeks ago, so it may no longer be true.

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 07:02 AM
link   
This is great news. I hope those involved and in power move quickly.

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
This is great news. I hope those involved and in power move quickly.

That is good news. We have saved alot of time and instead of 4-6 months to develop the vaccine we can now begin stockpiling the drug. However, let us also hope the H5N1 does not mutate again before this recent outbreak can be quelled.

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 09:21 PM
link   
It seems that everyone is jumping on the bandwagon a little to quick here. I referencing this to the following commentary by Dr. Niman...

The above comments on the development of a pandemic vaccine are overshadowed somewhat by the rapid spread of H5N1 across Russia, Kazakhstan, and Mongolia. Although the sequence of the rapidly spreading H5N1 has not been published, descriptions of the sequence sound much like the recently published H5N1 sequences from Qinghai Lake. Those sequences suggest that the current pandemic vaccine being tested worldwide will not be effective against the H5N1 expected to spread throughout Asia and Europe in the upcoming weeks

Full Commentary here...

www.recombinomics.com...

FredT has hit the bullseye here. We must temper our enthusiasim with some well deserved caution. I think that with all the variants floating around, that any vaccine being created now will have a limited effect if any.

I didn't want everybody jumping for joy, when this might be a very false sense of security. Don't get me wrong here, "I hope H5N1 will recombine into a more efficent H2H virus with a greatly reduced mortality rate more in line with the common variety type".

Just be wary of all these claims based on older sequenced serotypes.

[edit on 7-8-2005 by gman55]

top topics

join