It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Climber Trapped on Nanga Parbat on 5900 meters

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Attempting an international rescue from Nanga Parabt

Slovenian Climber and Mountain Rescuer Tomaz Humar is Trapped on Mountain Nanga Parbat on the Height of 5900 meters. Tomaz has been trapped in this mountain since Wednesday - he is in a labyrinth of seracs and mushroom-shaped-snow (snow blown up to mushroom-shaped form).

The situation got dangerous because of the snow fallen yesterday, for the second day the snow in the face has been sliding strong – large snow slides erupting all around Tomaz – he is incredibly lucky to be stuck on the snow ridge, that is just the right height, so the snow slides don’t reach it.

Because of the conditions descent to any side of the ridge would be same as suicide. So Tomaz yesterday asked for helicopter rescue. The rescue is fairly difficult due to the fact that the face is very steep. The plan was Tomaz will be rescued by a rope thrown to him from the helicopter. But the rescue didn’t go trough, no matter how hard Nazir Sabir and the expeditions members in the base camp tried to find a pilot to fly the helicopter.

The current situation:
In Pakistan Nazir Sabir is trying to persuade and start the rescue, meanwhile Viki Groselj is searching for someone in Slovenia. They are both trying to find a flight crew. At this moment things started moving in some parts of Asia, but there is talk of getting someone from Europe. About the rescue both political sides have been notified.

But it looks like the team has got the help from probably the Best Helicopter pilot, with more then 10.000 hours in the air. With little Luck Tomaz could be Rescued Tomorrow.

Source:
Tomaz Humar - Nanga Parbat 2005 Expedition

-Nanga Parbat-

Nanga Parbat (also known as Nangaparbat Peak or Diamir) is the ninth highest mountain on Earth. Nanga Parbat means "Naked Mountain". Nanga means naked in both Urdu and Hindi. Parbat is a Hindi only word meaning mountain. The word mountain is called 'pahaar' in Urdu. The Sherpas, localites of the Himalayan region call Nanga Parbat, “the maneater” or the "Mountain of the Devil. No other peak has claimed lives with such regularity and the list of tragedies is overwhelming.

It bears the name "The killer mountain". Before Hermann Buhl in 1953 reached its peak 31 people had to die trying. Catastrophes followed one another - starting with the British Mummery expedition in 1895. In the year 1934 a storm swallowed 4 German Mountaineers and 6 sherpas, three years later a snow slide buried a whole base camp and with it 18 sherpas and 12 mountaineers.

en.wikipedia.org...

Tomaz - HANG ON!

We are With You!

[edit on 6/8/05 by Souljah]

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 04:54 PM
link   
wow, I really hope they get him out of there quick, What a beautfull place but also so deadly, im sure the only thing on his mind right now is keeping alive untill his rescue,

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by asala
wow, I really hope they get him out of there quick, What a beautfull place but also so deadly, im sure the only thing on his mind right now is keeping alive untill his rescue.

The Main Problem is the Heavy Snow and the Extreme Winds that are making the Rescue impossible. And the Extreme Danger of Snow-slides which are confining Tomaz to his tent - and He is kneeling on one square meter for 4 days now. He can't climb down nor up, because snow slide will just take him away - clear suicide. Now the only Hope is a Helicopter, but the Pakistani don't have the proper pilot with Experience in this Mountain, nor the Helicopter for this kind of Weather.

I really hope for the best, since this Mountain is named "The Maneater".

[edit on 6/8/05 by Souljah]

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 05:33 PM
link   
gosh thats an awfull situation for this man, Is there any hope that the weather may take a change for the better, I hope they can get another rescue crew to come help,

I cant imagine what his family are going through also, this must be there worst nightmare,

My thoughts are with this man and that he stays strong up there,

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by asala
gosh thats an awfull situation for this man, Is there any hope that the weather may take a change for the better, I hope they can get another rescue crew to come help,

I cant imagine what his family are going through also, this must be there worst nightmare,

My thoughts are with this man and that he stays strong up there,

Thanks!

I think All Slovenian's are now with Him - hoping that tomorrow the French Pilot will take the Chopper to the Mountain and get Tomaz down to the Base Camp.

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Update:

A helicopter was sent to the Rescue but had to turn away because it ran out of fuel (!) - second pass was made to throw some food, but he could not make it - soon a major cloud storm was formed and he had to go away.

But he took some pictures of the Location of Our Hero:

Pretty Scary Location, with Snow Slides coming down left and right....

www.humar.com...

[edit on 7/8/05 by Souljah]

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 11:45 AM
link   
gosh, them pics really do make you shocked to think thats where he is,
Im so sad that today still he has been unable to get food or brought home,

He really is a hero for going through this alone, I continue to wish him out of this,

Keep us updated,

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I hope that this does not turn out to be a disaster for the rescuers. He is putting other lives in danger by such a risky rescue mission. These guy are extremists to the extent when they climb these mountains and know the risks. I myself am an avid backpacker and novice climber and know that sometimes help just can't get there and have to be ready. He is not a hero at all. I don't understand why you call him a hero. He is a man who got himself into a bad situation and can't call him a hero like men that really are hero's.

[edit on 7-8-2005 by I See You]

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by I See You
I hope that this does not turn out to be a disaster for the rescuers. He is putting other lives in danger by such a risky rescue mission. These guy are extremists to the extent when they climb these mountains and know the risks. I myself am an avid backpacker and novice climber and know that sometimes help just can't get there and have to be ready. He is not a hero at all. I don't understand why you call him a hero. He is a man who got himself into a bad situation and can't call him a hero like men that really are hero's.

You try "Hanging" on a Rock in the most Dangerous Mountain the World for Four Days. He is not some Crazy Extremsts: he is a Mountaineer, a Mountaineering instructor and a Mountain Rescuer. So I guess he knows something about the Mountains.

He doesn't climb for fame or mountaineering awards, although he has received many and his ascend of the south face of Dhaulagiri made him famous in the whole world. He climbs because he can only truly start breathing at an altitude of 5000 m. There is no rest for him in the valley - his heart, his mind, and his legs have been hauling him up there in the mountain faces for as long as he can remember. The reason he climbs is that the mountains are the only place where he is really close to Him.

Something from his Life:

After his successful return from Dhaulagiri, after surviving the impossible - he fell backwards into a hole while building a house and severely damaged both of his legs. In the next months spent in hospitals and health resorts, there were a few occasions when he was at the edge of surviving. The doctors were certain he would never walk again. After a series of operations it became apparent in May 2001 that he would be able to use his legs after all, although his right leg is a little bit shorter and the left ankle is partly immobile. But to climb again? Forget it! Nevertheless, to stop climbing was not a realistic option for Tomaz.

So I guess after the Accident, for which doctors said that he would NEVER Walk again, he is doing pretty good.

He Might not be Hero for You.....

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Yet he is still putting other lives in danger. The real hero's will be the ones who rescue him. Whether he's a guide a mountaineer or what he has done in his past. The real hero's are the ones who rescue him.

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Here is a Link to the Movie recorded by the Passing Helicopter.

www.humar.com...

EDIT: But apparently sometimes the Server gets too busy and that's probably why you can't see this video all the time. Only Today the Visitors Exceeded 51.000 with 5.4 miljonov hits.

[edit on 7/8/05 by Souljah]

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Thanks for the video. At least he knows that they are trying to get to him and that will help him survive longer. Let's just hope that his hero's will get to him in time.

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 06:33 AM
link   
We Heard from Tomaz!

Tomaž told us he is very cold, that he is wet and afraid of frostbite. Doctor Anda instructed him to take some Aspirin and Adelat to try to move as much as possible and melt some snow for some warm liquid. We think he had to dig to keep his bivouac clean all night because it was snowing very hard. In the morning we presume, he then fell asleep. We read him the e-mails of his brothers and told him about the updates on the rescue. We are still hoping for some good weather today.

Source:
Humar.com

And the GOOD News is that the Weather is Getting Better - it stopped snowing and there is Hope for a Rescue or at least Food Delivery, today maybe!

Here is a Picture from Today:

Hang on Tomaz!

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Hang on Tomaz, I hope he comes back alive.

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 04:18 PM
link   
At least they are in contact with him and advising him on what to do,

Hopefully if the weather is clearing he will be out soon or at least being able to get some food and dry clothes,

Poor guy, Fingers and toes crossed for him

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I have to agree with "i see you" this guy is no more of a hero than a drunk driver.putting someone else life in danger

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Well there is a Considerable debate going on here in Slovenia too, and 55% of the People think that this guy is Crazy and is Putting himself and others in Danger. So I kind of Understand you guys that think he is putting himself and others in Danger. But then I look at the list of Expeditions and the Climbs that he was on and remember his Quote that says: "All I wanted was to Climb..." and all that stuff just Dissapears.

Here is the List of his Past Expeditions:

- Ganesh V, 6989m, November 13, 1994
was the beginning, and it was no coincidence that I tackled it roped to Srauf. From a certain viewpoint, this was possibly the hardest of all of my expeditions, as it was accompanied by too many blank spots in my knowledge of high-altitude mountains.

- Annapurna I, 8091m, May 6, 1995
was an unexpected opportunity and my first and only 8000 m peak, which I refused to let slip by. Enough water has passed under the bridge since then; Tone and I can now accept each other's differences.

- Ama dablam, 6828m, May 4, 1996
A first in climbing a virgin face alpine style. A long lasting taste.

- Bobaye, 6808m, November 2, 1996
A first in climbing a virgin face alpine style solo. I am ready for Nuptse.

- Lobuche, 6119 m, Pomuri, 7165 m, Nuptse, 7742 m
The Trilogy: Lobuche East, Pomuri and the west face of Nuptse. Joy, pain, a new dimension. The limit?

- El Capitan, October 26, 1998
The first "big wall." Veni, vidi, vici; or, the last piece in the mosaic until Dhaulagiri.

- Daulaghiri, 8167m, November 2, 1999
The thought became reality. The lucky seven was not coincidental. I am thankful for the grace I have been given. Where do I go from here? The common denominator of all my expeditions, adventures and aspirations has been the call of the face.

- Sisha Pangma, 8046m, 2002

- Nanga Parbat, 8125m, May 2003

- Acongcagua, 6960m, 2003

- Jannu, 7464m - poskus

- Cholatse, 6440m, April 23, 2005

- Nanga Parbat, 8125m, July 1, 2005

And here is the Latest Voice from him:

Tomaz shared some details with Maja, of what it's like "up there. Another avalanche had just burried him, so he had to dig his way out. He's not lying in a hole, as presumed, but on a shelf, where he digs out some sort of a U-shaped tunnel in which he then lies head-first, so he can react quicky, if an avalanche starts sliding.

Then he uses his elbows to push the snow away - left and right .. He's cold, and the moisture keeps freezing on this body - for 2 days in a row his toes turned blue and he tried massaging them with some cream and now yet another night like that follows ...

Sounds like Hell just Freezed Over...

Hang in There!!!

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Today's News:

- 10:28 - The weather over glacial valley Basin and over the mountain is still very bad. On 3500m, at base camp, there's a slight drizzle, but up on Tomaz's altitude it's still snowing. With some occasional dry spells it has been snowing for 5 days in a row. Tomaz is soaking wet and his clothes keep freezing onto his body. "What's with the rescue?" he keeps asking, "Why arren't the helicopter at base camp yet?..." The last information that reached us, said that 3 helicopters, 2 of them being rescue LAMA helicopters, the 3rd one a fuel delivery one, are all on stand by at a nearby location of Jaglote, 30km off Gilgit.

- 11:48 - Three helicopters in base camp. The wall still in fog. Gathering some informations.

- 12:49 - The two helicopters are taking off. The last arrangements are being made. The final signals ...

- 13:24 - Both helicopters are airborn, it's still a bit foggy. They are trying to close in on him, they are carrying food - hopefully they will at least succeed in delivering that. Communication over th VHF station is operational.

Waiting for More News to come from the Mountain...

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Tomaz Humar is rescued!

Pakistani troops have rescued a renowned Slovenian mountaineer stuck under a narrow ice ledge on one of the world's highest peaks for four days.

Tomaz Humar was trapped by bad weather on Nanga Parbat in northern Pakistan at a height of nearly 6,000m.

He was unable to untie his rope, which had to be severed as an army helicopter carried him away to safety.

It is believed to be the first time such a rescue has been carried out successfully at such a high altitude.

The Slovenian went up on a solo climb, on a route never scaled before. He became trapped on 5 August.

Mr Humar had been in a snow cave with little food and trapped by avalanches.

Source:
BBC News

Tomaz is rescued, no dire consequences

YAY!

He's Saved!

Much Respect to the Pakistani Army and the Brave Helicopter Pilots!

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah
Tomaz Humar is rescued!

YAY!

He's Saved!

Wow, greeeat!

Hope was kind of fading there, and then... he was saved. Six days.

Very nice job to manage to rescue him

Slovenska Tiskovna: Humar: "I Felt Like a Lilliputian in Gulliver's Travels"

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join