It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teen Faces 17 Years For Taping Movie

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I agree that the punishment was harsh. Unbelievable, really. I agree they were probably an example.

However, I am against bootlegging movies or music. I don't care how much they make or how bad the movies are. That isn't relevent. This is property owned by someone else. Stealing is stealing.

It's not the same as taping our favorite show. That's legal. This is distribution. That's illegal.

If you created something and copyrighted it, and planned to distribute and sell it and someone else got their hands on it and gave it away, would you not be upset?

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 05:37 PM
link   
It always holds true that if you sell Anything without paying the piper
that you're asking for big trouble.

I find it much more disturbing that people who file share with absolutely no financial motives
are also being criminalized heavily for doing so, while corporations send our jobs
overseas where cheap labor and zero property rights are honored as their way of
keeping prices down.

If third world developing countries like China, Korea and India were forced to honor copyrights and those developing businesses had to pay for licensing every machine or workstation in use,
This would certainly affect the fairness of international trade and manufacturing.

But since they can't enforce any of this in those countries, they punish those they can.

This is what is so totally unfair about anti-piracy legislation.

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Just goes to show how corrupt politicians are in the US. They will pass any law if you pay them enough.

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 09:07 AM
link   
I agree Benevolent Heretic.

Anyhow, I guess this teen, as hopefully others who pirate films, will learn to read and comprehend those warnings that are on every video tape and DVD.

seekerof

[edit on 7-8-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 10:49 AM
link   
That's a lot...
But maybe they have good reasons to do so...
In china they would propably ahve been killed...

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I Also Agree with the Post above - Stealing is Stealing.

One thing is if you record it for yourself - and whole different thing is to sell copies around and make money.

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
I agree Benevolent Heretic.

Originally posted by Souljah
I Also Agree with the Post above - Stealing is Stealing.

I'm all teary!

One thing is if you record it for yourself - and whole different thing is to sell copies around and make money.

True. And, it's also a whole different thing to distribute it, even if he didn't sell it, but gave it away, because the recipients are potential customers who might otherwise pay money to the artist(s). So, even by distributing the movie, it can be argued that he took money from the movie's makers.

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Stealin' isn't stealin' unless you get caught.

You have much to learn.

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
Stealin' isn't stealin' unless you get caught.

Any by then you are just "Borrowing" it?

I would like to see you say that when some junkie steals your auto-radio....

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
Watch Indie Flicks etc.

Right on! I am an Independent Film Actor, and have had speaking roles in ten films now, only two of which have gone into mainstream distribution. You would not believe how hard it is for these films to get that distribution deal, and all the support they can get is desperately needed. Most of the independent films are made right out of somebody's pockets, and many times there is no reward for their incredible efforts. Many work for nothing more than a percentage of a maybe. Please support independent film!
I can see both sides of the copyright issue, when somebody downloads a copy, they aren't likely to run out and buy one and even I loose money, however I think both the film and music industry need to realize that file sharing technology isn't going to go away, learn to co-exsist, make their product more marketable, put a poster in the CD case or something, but sending kids to jail isn't doing them any good, and IMO the fine line between Civil and Criminal Law is being brutally raped. If the Film and Music Industries want to go after 'pirates', then they should hrie the lawyers and foot the bill, I think the FBI has better things to do than chasing 17 year olds down and prosecuting them for something that should stay in Civil Court anyway.

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I love Indie Flicks also!

This one is really "In" lately with all the terrorist attacks:

Bomb

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 01:34 PM
link   
He hasn't actually got 17 years though has he? This is the maximum jail time that he could receive. He might get 6 months, or 5 years or whatever. We don't know yet.

17 years maximum for something non-violent does seem very harsh though. Perhaps the long sentances are there so that they can lock away organised criminals who are involved in piracy (and lots of other nastier stuff). Just like they locked Al Capone away for ages for tax evasion rather than for all the people he had killed and tortued.

We will just have to wait for his sentancing to see how long they lock him up for.

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 06:13 PM
link   
I think the solution to the whole Bootlegging thing could be solved if studios - Both film and recording - would lower their prices.

Volume is the key to it.
By knocking the prices down their losses would be offset by volume.

Is it easier to sell 1 thing for $1,000,000 or 1,000,000 things for $1?

Where as I don't agree with bootlegg, I would drop $5 or so on a CD or DVD without thinking about it. With their sale prices over $15 I think twice about it. (I sure ain't gonna drop $15 on a CD that I am only getting for a track or two). Also think Pay-music downloads are bogus - Why pay napster to Download when you can call your buddy and have him burn the whole CD for a replacement CD?

As long as it is a LOT cheaper to bootleg people will. If I can make a boot leg copy for $2 or get a genuine one for $5 I'll grab the real thing - it looks better, it feels better, and I get a Professional case with Filler notes and stuff. However when the origional is $15 - the bootleg becomes an attractive option.

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Exactly! Weird Al Poodle Hat for 7.99 I was willing to buy it. Fat Boy Slim You've Come A Long Way Baby for 7.99 also willing to pay. 15-20 dollars for a POD or Disturbed cd? No.

8 dollars for a movie that I don't know will be good? No. Especially if I am with a girl and will maybe see half of it if that.(Hehehe)

Why I like the local Drive In, 2 movies for 6 dollars. Of course might see one whole movie put together......

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Seventeen Years for Recording a Movie?

I feel soooo much better now that the rapists, murderers, child abductors, and drug dealers are off the streets that they can focus on the REAL criminals.

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 03:56 AM
link   
anywhys those moviestar got a lot of money drives the best cars and does what ever they want so what is the problem a few bucks went away?

Its a crime yes but does it have to be 17 years for it no.

If a guy take crack thats behind bars for more than 2 years but if celeb takes crack then its rehab for 2 monoth

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I just read in PC Magazine that, I believe, 90% of China's software is pirated. That is a problem, not this kid. I don't believe that anyone would substitute a tiny, fuzzy, shakey movie on their computer for seeing a good movie in the theater. The reasons people would download the movies - 1) They don't have enough money, so the industry wouldn't get it anyway. 2) It's a really bad movie not worth paying to see (do better, Hollywood!). 3) To see if it's good enough to buy on DVD.

Haven't you ever rented a movie then ended up buying it because you're going to watch it so much? It seems like the movie would be such poor quality taped off the screen, like those 30-second song previews you get before buying them. I'm not saying it's right to pirate, but people are going to see the movie in theaters and buy it whether there are pirated copies out there or not (unless it has both Nicolas Cage and Robin Williams ... and the sountrack is Dakota Fanning screaming).

[edit on 8-8-2005 by SmileyMan34]

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Wow.. That's Crazy. Crime and punishment keeps getting more and more ridiculous, and never consistent. I hope he doesn't get convicted.

[edit on 8-8-2005 by YoungN]

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 02:43 PM
link   
The real problem is places like China - not a few foolish kids trying to have some fun with the establishment.

Got a buddy of mine in the Merchant Marine - he's always saying
If ya want this or that let me know. Said something about getting Microsoft 2003 Server for $5 or so.
--

I hope to see the kid walk away from the whole thing too.

Though I kinda doubt that he will - It's not like he's a junkie ball player or anything...

"Tain't no thing as justice anymore y'know - it's just us"

Can we Boycott hollywood and the recording Industry?
If we boycott them they'll have to start cutting their prices...

Na - it'd never work - too many lizard people out there who'd blow it any way..

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 12:17 AM
link   
movies can be catagorized into ____ different catagories:

1. Awesome Movie - You go to the midnight showing, or at least see it twice in theaters(its practically worth the 9 bucks a veiwing)

2. Great Movie - Definately want to go see, even if you did download it, your computer screen/ speakers are not big enough to appreciate the movie.

3. O.K. Movie - You'll wait til it comes out on DVD, by now it doesnt make much difference if its pirated or bought, you just want to see it someday, no hurry

4. Crappy Movie - why waste money? even if you download it you might not even finish watching it.

Now...If Hollywood made more QUALITY #1 and #2 movies, they wouldn't need to worry about who was buying the DVD, everyone would want to see it on the big screen anyways.

---Pineapple

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join