It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lewis Purdue vs Dan Brown

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 11:27 AM
link   
There is a questionable problem over a novel written by Lewis Purdue.

The author claims that the Da Vinci Code (2003) written by Dan Brown, takes plot, characters, situations etc. directly from Purdue's book The Da Vinci Legacy (1983).

find out about the book here:
www.davincilegacy.com...

this is a great radio interview with Purdue on his take of the story:

Has anyone read either or both novels?

Are Purdue's claims of plaigarism by Dan Brown warranted?

I've put off reading The Da Vinci Code for what seems like forever, but now with this controversy I'm like, hmmmm... better get to it!

[edit on 8/6/05 by w1kdtr1p]

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I've read the Da Vinci Code but not the Purdue book. From what I hear about the Purdue book, I'm not so sure I buy the plagiarism claims. The theories about the Holy Grail and Mary Magdalene have been popular forever, and all kinds of questions about Da Vinci's works and their "hidden meanings" have floated around for decades.

My guess is that Purdue and Brown used the same sources to research their books (I've checked out some of the "sources" Brown lists in the Thank You notes of the Da Vinci Code - they're kind of questionable, at best, though some are quite interesting). Brown might have even used Purdue's book as inspiration. Inspiration, however, doesn't equal plagiarism. The theories in Brown's book (and the ones that I've heard about from Purdue's book) are way too widespread for any single author to lay claim to them.

Now, I hate Dan Brown, it pains me to defend him, and plagiarism is something I take very seriously but I honestly don't think he plagiarized. I think this Lewis Purdue character is just mad that the world is gaga over the Da Vinci Code and no one remembers his book.

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 04:47 PM
link   
EDIT: Ack, double post, my bad!

[edit on 9-8-2005 by ester]

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I've decided to read The Da Vinci Legacy and Daughter of God, by Purdue first, and then give Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code a go. I believe that following in this order, will provide me with some objectivity on the issue.

You could be right though and Purdue is trying to capitalize on Brown writing a better version of a Codex Thriller.

I can't imagine anyone plaigarising another author, it simply disgusts me too, but then again, ego and power are temptations for some.

I'll get back to you when I'm finished the reading.

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I finally read The Da Vinci Legacy.

It was written in the mid-80's, and definitely is a dated action-spy-thriller, eg. before wire-less technology became common place, therefore it would be easy enough to "out-run" or "hide-out" from intelligent adversaries, also, conversely limiting a protagonist's ability to utilize a variety of accessories: spy-cams, call display, camera-phones, etc.

A fair and yet predictable storyline (won't give away any spoilers) from Mr. Purdue.

Next up: Daughter of God, and then over to Dan Brown's effort.

Note: I won't go into any elaborate criticism or comparison till having read the remaining books.

top topics

join