It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mars this month and not for another 60,000 years

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 06:33 AM
link   
This was sent to me by a friend so I don't know how accurate it is but will try and research it later.

MARS SPECTACULAR!

The Red Planet is about to be spectacular! This month and next, Earth is catching up with Mars in an encounter that will culminate in the closest approach between the two planets in recorded history. The next time Mars may come this close is in 2287. Due to the way Jupiter's gravity tugs on Mars and perturbs its orbit, astronomers can only be certain that Mars has not come this close to Earth in the Last 5,000 years, but it may be as long as 60,000 years before it happens again.

The encounter will culminate on August 27th when Mars comes to within 34,649,589 miles of Earth and will be (next to the moon) the brightest object in the night sky. It will attain a magnitude of -2.9 and will appear 25.11 arc seconds wide. At a modest 75-power magnification

Mars will look as large as the full moon to the naked eye. Mars will be easy to spot. At the beginning of August it will rise in the east at 10 p. m. and reach its azimuth at about 3 a. m.

By the end of August when the two planets are closest, Mars will rise at nightfall and reach its highest point in the sky at 12:30a. m. That's pretty convenient to see something that no human being has seen in recorded history. So, mark your calendar at the beginning of August to see Mars grow progressively brighter and brighter throughout the month.

Share this with your children and grandchildren. NO ONE ALIVE TODAY WILL EVER SEE THIS AGAIN

[edit on 6-8-2005 by I See You]

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 08:29 AM
link   
sounds good, I'll be looking for this

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Yes this will be very interesting and cool to say the least. I will be watching this also.

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Unfortunately much of that email is a Hoax. I beloeve MArs will be brighter and more red than normal but thats about it.

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Well this is a hoax to an extent as I found from www.space.com

Here is the link: www.space.com...

It says that is will not be as big as the moon by the naked eye but the first post says under 75x mag that it would look as big so we will see.

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Interesting.... This is something I would definitely like to see. thx for the info, I'll be watchin'!

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Yep, been looking forward to this since first hearing about it...
Hoping to go to a local planetarium and share this with my step-daughter as well....

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 03:06 PM
link   
someone explain this to me, I swore like last year ppl were saying that the closest mars will be in 2k years, and I heard something about it during the start of iraqi war closest it will be in 10k years

So which is it?

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Actually it's not a hoax and has already been discussed quite a bit. This is just one thread that I started awhile back but several others exist. Hope it helps.

Wupy

Earth, Mars encounter coming soon

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrwupy
Actually it's not a hoax and has already been discussed quite a bit. This is just one thread that I started awhile back but several others exist. Hope it helps.

Wupy

Earth, Mars encounter coming soon

The exaggeration of the original post which has been circulating is incorrect, it will not be as big as the moon to the naked eye. Common sense should tell anyone this if they listened in school (unless standards really have got that bad?).

It is going to be closer and we will get good views with a telescope, but the e-mail is classic chinese whispers and exaggerated beyond realism.

Oh and even the August date is way off:

October 30th at 0319 Universal Time. Distance: 69 million kilometers

[edit on 6-8-2005 by AgentSmith]

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 04:45 PM
link   
If you look at the original it simply has a break in the paragraph at the wrong place. Look at the punctuation.:

"The encounter will culminate on August 27th when Mars comes to within 34,649,589 miles of Earth and will be (next to the moon) the brightest object in the night sky. It will attain a magnitude of -2.9 and will appear 25.11 arc seconds wide. At a modest 75-power magnification

Mars will look as large as the full moon to the naked eye. Mars will be easy to spot. At the beginning of August it will rise in the east at 10 p. m. and reach its azimuth at about 3 a. m."

This fooled me as well until I looked a bit closer. All it's actually saying is at a modest 75X Mars will appear as large as the full moon. 75X is not a powerful telescope. They probably have binoculars that strong, but I haven't checked so i'm not sure.

Wupy

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 08:30 PM
link   

a modest 75X Mars will appear as large as the full moon. 75X is not a powerful telescope.

That isn't a powerful telescope, any 4.5" newtonian/dobsonian telescope can do 2-3 times that magnification with decent clarity.

I'll be pulling my 10" scope out on a regular basis in August to check it out. Already have a star party planned for next Friday, should be fun.

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 10:47 PM
link   
I can sum this thread up in four words...

Search Function. Thread Closed.

top topics

join