It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feature request/idea (Pages: 1 .. 4 5 6 )

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 12:36 AM
link   
An idea that might save ATS a little bandwidth and would alleviate a bit of browsing headache would be to have multi-page posts listed in the manner provided. I have noticed on popular threads that browsing back to continue reading where I left off is difficult sometimes.

Let's say that I finish reading a thread before I go to work that is 7 pages long. When I return from work it is 9 pages. As it is right now I have to click page 9 and backtrack to where I left off. If it were possible to list the pages (1 .. 7 8 9) rather than (1 2 3 .. 9) I believe it would provide faster browsing for all ATS users.

Edit:

I also left this on the gripe/idea form. I guess leave a comment if you think it's a good idea or not.

[edit on 6/8/2005 by Seth76]

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 02:10 AM
link   
I don't know if it will save any bandwidth, but it does sound convenient for those who browse and it does let you know just how long a thread is by looking at the first page.

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
I don't know if it will save any bandwidth, but it does sound convenient for those who browse and it does let you know just how long a thread is by looking at the first page.

Yeah I don't see how it will save bandwidth either. Also can you not already see how long a thread is by looking at the first page?

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by phixion

Yeah I don't see how it will save bandwidth either.

In my example where a thread has 9 pages, how do you get to page 7? Fewer page loads saves bandwidth for our beloved ATS...

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Also can you not already see how long a thread is by looking at the first page?

If you can, I haven't found it. Could you clue me in?

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seth76

Yeah I don't see how it will save bandwidth either.

In my example where a thread has 9 pages, how do you get to page 7? Fewer page loads saves bandwidth for our beloved ATS...

I understand what you mean, why step through earlier posts to get to the page near to the page you want to access it. Go straight there, save bandwidth.

Mess with the URL in your browser -
I'll use this thread, as it's open in another window on my workstation.

See the URL in the address bar of your browser - 'http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread153363/pg1'

That's the start of the thread, but if you want to look at page 5, change the URL to 'http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread153363/pg5' and click whichever affirmative modality your browser requires, and off you go - page 5.

... or, (and I'll be honest and say that this has only just come to me, so maybe it's not too obvious), bookmark the last page you read and just open that and recommence reading maybe ?

Any good ?

[Edit: I forgot that the "http://" prefixed text would be parsed as active links - oops]

[edit on 6-8-2005 by 0951]

new topics

top topics

join