It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The New German Left Gains Momentum

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I was reading on the BBC World Service web site about a new German political movement that appears to be making headway. It is apparently made up of disaffected social democrats and the reformed communist party. How could this affect the upcoming election the author reports that it's effects will be trivial, however I'm not to sure. The conservatives under Angela Merkel don't seem to be gaining any traction and I believe I heard that they've already spent a significant amount of their funds. This new movement won't help Schroeder that much is for sure but couldn't it revive the left and in say 5yrs time lead to a viable alternative to both the CDU-CSU and the Green-SPD coalitions in a similar way to what the liberal-democrats have done in the UK.

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 05:32 AM
link   
I would guess that depends on the outcome of the Septembe elections and what happens to the SPD afterwards. IĀ“ve heard numerous reports about the big partiesĀ“ thinking about forming a grand coalition (SPD and CDU) to regain some stability AND to keep the more extreme (to either side) parties in check. This is possible because during the last 2 legislature periods the SPD somehow moved to away from certain traditionally social democratic ideas more into the middle of the political spectrum (from a german political point of view).

If it happens that the CDU will be able to take over the government alone or rather with a lesser coalition party, the SPD has to face a decision as to whether continue its current path or to try and get back to its traditional values. In that case they could slice a chunk out of the new "Linkspartei" (literally: Left Party
). In any case the Linkspartei would need some years to consolidate, eventually in some years it will lose the support of those supporters that use it as means to protest and has to focus on those followers that really carry their agenda.

new topics

join