It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christians Protest At US Soldier's Funeral -

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 02:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlienAntFarm
But the WAR that our government wages on innocent nations is the cause of their demise.

You are joking right?

Please god tell me he's joking.

[edit on 6-8-2005 by C0le]

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by C0le

You are joking right?

Please god tell me he's joking.

I doubt it.....just mark it down as a tulipwalker thing.......

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 02:42 AM
link   
**Disclaimer** The following post expresses some views about the role of the military which may offend patriots and servicemen. It is not my intention to demean those who fight for us. What I intend to express is that the fight for our interests is sadly not so noble as we might like to believe. The ultimate end of my explanation here is that the reader should realize the fallacies upon which certain views have been based and realize that the war in Iraq, discomforting as it may be, is hardly different from most wars.

Originally posted by AlienAntFarm
Instead of saying "God" killed the soldier, why not place blame where it's due, on the head of the neo-cons and other warmongers who are responsible for the soldier's death.

I can't answer for everyone obviously, but I for one do not place the blame there (at least not all of it) because the people actually planting the bombs aren't neocons. They're religious fanatics who have been told that God wants them to kill Americans.
That's sorta ironic really. Christian zealots calling the work of Muslim zealots the wrath of God. Sounds like the protestors should have put a little more thought into the implications of their statements.

You're all so hyped up about supporting soldiers and the war effort.

Yes, hyper as can be. (/sarcasm). Actually only a thin majority of Americans support our troops in any way. If I had only one wish, I'd wish for a dime for every person who had a militant bumper sticker on their car but hadn't given a single hour or a single dollar of theirs to actually DO something in support of our troops. Pay no mind to the hypocrites. In their hearts, although they may not even know it, they have embraced a set of beliefs founded on what I am about to say.

Here's the deal, it's simple, but I don't expect everyone to get it:
For the most part (but not entirely without exception) war is an ugly and inhumane business with very little nobility in it by any standard. A large portion of the armed forces always have been and probably always will be comprised of the poor. Before all of the pomp and pretention is thrust upon them, most of them begin with a very simple decision about their own ambitions in life. The military offers advantages that a poor man might otherwise never be offered, so they take it. Especially at the beginning of nationalized armies and to a certain extent even still, the military is essentially a nationalized mercinary force. I joined the USMC and I knew the people there- that's what I saw.

Now why is this important? Because the military never was solely some noble elite of the citizenry fighting to stave off the utter destruction of their brethren. The military is often used for much more than that. The military is used simply for the advantage of the nation. Do you really think that first world nations got where they are by being peaceful unless threatened? This is a dog eat dog world. If you're not preying upon others and growing strong, you're being preyed upon. The war in Iraq, in addition to being a battle against terrorists who seek to harm our country, is also a war for the strategic and economic advancement of America's interests, not unlike the barbary wars and Mexican-American war which are glorified and celebrated in the Marine Corps Hymn.

The military has always been "abused" as AlienAntFarm calls it. This is their role, it is what they are paid to do, and it is what they sign up for. It is what I signed up for when I pledged 4 years to the USMC (which was cut rather short by a back injury which hinders me still and may always). It's an open secret at best. In boot, Drill Instructors often referred to Iraq as "the edge of the empire". It didn't particularly disturb me because I have at least a general understanding of the global strategic situation and of history. This is what militaries do. It is far beyond the WWII image that we all love to hold up and glorify as what war is all about. Successful nations don't wait until the enemy is at the gates. They go out and they further themselves at the expense of potential enemies and others so that they will not be assailable to anyone in the future.
If you think you are against Bush, or against the war in Iraq, you are mistaken. What you are really against is the lamentable but inescapable reality of nature: that there are predators, and prey.

These Christians, as goofy as they may be, are trying to tell us that America has no business being in Iraq doing Israel's dirty business for it. Am I right or am I wrong?

You're wrong. Read the article. They are trying to tell us that God is punishing America because somebody bombed their church in response to their gay-bashing.

America should not be in Iraq under any circumstances. Nothing has been gained from this war. Not one thing.

You're right. Our presence in Iraq has given us nothing. At least not as long as you don't count any of the following strategic gains:
1. Access to Iran independent of the Persian Gulf, which Iranian SS-N-22s can make inaccessible in the event of conflict.
2. The death or capture of quite a few terrorists who otherwise might have taken action against friendly governments in the region or against the US itself. Think about it, every radical Muslim who leaves Saudi Arabia to get killed in Iraq is one less man in the ranks of a potentially destabilizing force in a nation who's friendship is vitally important to America's quality of life and strength in the world.
3. The public demonstration of the UN's inability to protect nations from America's wrath, possibly deterring others who may have stood against America in the way that Saddam did. Iran and North Korea come to mind. They have just been put on notice that the United States will come after them if need be and that France, Germany, Russia, and China will not protect them.

The dead soldiers are blood on the hands of those who commanded them to enter hostile territory. They would be alive and well with their families if they had remained at home or on a foreign base.

They'd also be alive if that territory had not been housing or entered subsequently by terrorists who are willing to die to kill Americans, and who probably would have eventually fought us elsewhere had we not presented ourselves on the field to invite this battle, in which we are doing far more damage to them that they are doing to us, no matter what lies may be spread by people like you for political reasons.

The views expressed above are cynical, unpleasant, and accurate. Try not to be depressed. Just sit back in your air conditioned home, in front of your top of the line computer, and post whatever you have to post to feel enlightened. As you do, realize that all of these things have been brought to you as the fruit of many wars just as ugly as this one, often with casualties far beyond the single thousands.
If that doesn't sit well with you, you could always join a humanitarian organization and go to Africa, to see what happens to non-predatory nations.

And if by chance you think your nation is not imperialist like the United States and that you have a leg to stand on in damning us, examine your nations politics. If you're prospering and not being raped without having to fight, it's because you're riding an ally's coat tails- probably America's, and you've bloodied your hands by shaking ours.

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 03:34 AM
link   
3. The public demonstration of the UN's inability to protect nations from America's wrath, possibly deterring others who may have stood against America in the way that Saddam did. Iran and North Korea come to mind. They have just been put on notice that the United States will come after them if need be and that France, Germany, Russia, and China will not protect them.

This is so important, yet the peacenicks can not grasp the importance of this one very important fact.....

Cheers m8!

And this gets a WATS

And if by chance you think your nation is not imperialist like the United States and that you have a leg to stand on in damning us, examine your nations politics. If you're prospering and not being raped without having to fight, it's because you're riding an ally's coat tails- probably America's, and you've bloodied your hands by shaking ours.

You have voted The Vagabond for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have one more vote left for this month.

[edit on 6-8-2005 by edsinger]

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Vagabond
**Disclaimer** The following post expresses some views about the role of the military which may offend patriots and servicemen. It is not my intention to demean those who fight for us.......

...........above are cynical, unpleasant, and accurate. Try not to be depressed. Just sit back in your air conditioned home, in front of your top of the line computer, and post whatever you have to post to feel enlightened. As you do, realize that all of these things have been brought to you as the fruit of many wars just as ugly as this one, often with casualties far beyond the single thousands.
If that doesn't sit well with you, you could always join a humanitarian organization and go to Africa, to see what happens to non-predatory nations.

That WHACK!! was the nail getting hit on the head.

Terror, oil, geopolitics, and who-knows-what-else are probably all motivating factors in this war/struggle. In the end, all we can do is sit back and be thankful we don't have to deal with the headache that must certainly come with deciding what the best course of action is. It's much easier to be a critic.

Going to the website of these "Christians", and seeing how they proudly posted thier exploits and ear-to-ear grins brought new meaning to the word disgust for me.

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Why do threads always start to die after I weigh in? I should really start keeping a count of show-stoppers

Thankyou Ed and Juan for your kind words and agreement. It's always an honor to be well recieved by fellow ATSers- especially in the form of a WATS vote- can't say I'm sure I deserve it, but thanks.

Now... where in the world did AAF go? Did I put on my flame retardant suit for nothing?

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I'm starting to have my doubts that this church is actually practicing christianity. Its starting to look more like a cult to me. One charismatic leader sending his followers into harms way and probably hoping they get attacked, as a sign of all that is wrong with the world.

If his followers get attacked it proves to the rest of his brainwashed desciples that he's right and they are being persecuted by EVERYONE for following gods word, or in this case what he says is gods word.

This church is getting scary. Jim Jones followed this same path of persecution until he lead his people to Guyana and we all know how that little fiasco ended.

I may be wrong, I freely admit that. I'm just starting to see some serious cult issues come forth from this group, issues that are dangerous to them and to us.

Just my 2 cents.

Wupy

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Yes, I agree Wupy. I hold Snake Handlers in higher regard than these folks. From their website:

God Hates Sweden!
God Hates Sweden Monument!
GOD HATES ALL WORKERS OF INIQUITY.
God Hates America!

The Lord willing, in addition to 6 daily pickets in Topeka (15 on Sunday):

* Schedules for upcoming pickets
* Funeral of Army Sgt. Christopher J. Taylor - (2 p.m., Sat., Aug. 6, Opelika, Ala.)
* Funeral of Army Pfc. Ramon A. Villatoro Jr. -- at 9 a.m. Aug. 6, at Our Lady of Sodom Church, 601 E. California Ave., Bakersfield, Cal.
* Funeral of Army Sgt. Jason T. Palmerton - (9 a.m.. Mon., Aug. 8, Arlington National Cemetery)

God's doing a lot more hating than I remember... These guys are whackos. With a purpose.

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Haha, lol why do people keep twisting their religion so that they can fit their agenda! and people who do this are dangerious, very dangerious.

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Wupy does certainly seem to be right. Far be it from me to tell anyone what is on the mind of God, but I will say that their actions are abominable in my eyes, and are not inspired by any God that I would kneel to.

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
God Hates Sweden!
God Hates Sweden Monument!
GOD HATES ALL WORKERS OF INIQUITY.
God Hates America!

The Jesus I know loves all of the above, even the workers of iniquity, despite their shortcomings. Written language can be tricky though. Maybe the Jesus I know is actually just some guy named hay-soos. Or maybe theirs is.
The worship of a God that hates His own creation is a little strange and a little disturbing. If they call themselves Christian they are definately not mainstream, so the word cult could certainly apply.

* Funeral of Army Pfc. Ramon A. Villatoro Jr. -- at 9 a.m. Aug. 6, at Our Lady of Sodom Church, 601 E. California Ave., Bakersfield, Cal.

Would that you had posted that just a day sooner. Before I took note of the date and time I was thinking about calling up a couple of my fellow baptist jarheads to go down and find some peaceful way of obstructing their protest.

I've come up with a plan to stop them, but somehow I doubt I'll be able to get the resources I need. Basically the plan is to have Colin Powell appear at every one of the funerals they intend to protest in a spandex uniform. That should scare them off.

All I can say is that it's stuff like this that makes me want to become a better man. There are a thousand little battles like this and if I could I'd fight them all. Shame on these hate mongers and God bless the innocent people they torment- even the ones who like to put things in the out hole.

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Vagabond
Shame on these hate mongers and God bless the innocent people they torment- even the ones who like to put things in the out hole.

Bless you! Sorry for the one line post, but sometimes that's what's needed.

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Its Gods punishment ehh?
Isnt that the same line Saddam used when the Shuttle broke up on re-entry? 'God is punishing the americans!"

Looks like those people are in good company.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join