It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christians Protest At US Soldier's Funeral -

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 09:27 PM
link   
God is obviously on their side. It is nothing short of a miracle that nobody ripped them limb from limb over this. I'm a strong supporter of the right to assemble, but there is a time and a place. This is simply distasteful- it seems patently designed to stir anger and perhaps even invite violent confrontation.

Lucky for these people the 21 gun salute wasn't fired in a non-standard direction, if you know what I mean.

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 09:43 PM
link   
I hear you all, it's deplorable, despicable, totally selfish and dishonorable. These are all value judgments, and in this case, we pretty much share the values. We agree.

HOWEVER, their legal right must never be eliminated because we think it’s morally wrong! Morals and rights don’t mix. If we were to prevent them this assembly, we open ourselves to the possibility of the same judgments by someone else. Their morals could dictate our rights.

I could spit on these people, but NEVER should their right to express their views be taken away.

Maybe I was the only one being sarcastic about bombing churches and blaming all Christians…

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 10:05 PM
link   
well, im surprised we dont have the anti-americans supporting these "christians" im sure they would if they supported gay rights. In any case these are NOT christians, christians have respect for the soldiers, and this is totally disrespectful, while they have a right to assemble, someone else might take it upon themselves to kick some rear hehe. To the guy on the first page who asked why christians dont take care of their own, what would you have us do? they did nothing illegal just immoral IMO. Im sure this will only fuel the anti-christian sentiment.

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Heretic makes an outstanding point. I suppose it could easily be considered a weakness in me that I am disinclined to submit to his logic. I'm not so sure that all situations can be adequately covered by law. I see sort of an interpersonal code of conduct separate from the law. There are some things you do to a person at your own peril. I have the legal right to go interrupt even the most solemn and sacred public event with my insensitivity, short of violating any laws. That being said, I could hardly fail to understand that I was going to be hurting people in a very harsh emotional way and that they may very well retaliate.

This is an entirely emotional view on my part, so take it with a grain of salt. I wouldn't want them stopped by law. What I would really like is for their own common sense to stop them. Short of that, I'd like to see the mourners who they had come to torment turn on them and kill them.

I realize there is little or no logical or legal grounds for what I am proposing, but give me a break. If you come to disrespect one of my loved ones at their funeral, you run a fair chance of suffering physical injury at my hands.

A slightly analogous situation occurred to me about 2 and a half weeks ago. I was at the viewing for my grandfather. I stepped outside to have a moment away from all the crying and have a smoke. To my shock and awe, there is a bum wandering the parking lot, looking in our cars for one to break into and steal something from. I chased him for about a block, and had I caught him I doubt I ever would have stopped swinging at him of my own free will. There are some things you just don't do, even if you're technically allowed to.

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by curme
This is the second time in the last three weeks that the church has sent protesters to a dead-serviceman's funeral with a message that their deaths are a punishment from God. The church, famous for its anti-gay message, says that American troops are dying in Iraq because God is punishing the United States for an unsolved bombing of the church in 1995 that left a child seriously injured.

According to these Christians, God is punishing the United States for promoting a gay agenda. By this Christian logic, if we got rid of the gays, then God would then again protect the United States, and our terrorist problem would be over. I'd like to know what moderate Christians think about this, and why have they been so silent? Where are the moderate Christians to condemn the desecration of this soldier's funeral?

These people are not Christians, and this is not an example of "Christian logic". They are just a bunch of self-centered fruitcakes that believe their "church" is so special that God would punish people for burning it. They deserve our scorn and ridicule; not much more mention than that.

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Vagabond
I realize there is little or no logical or legal grounds for what I am proposing, but give me a break. If you come to disrespect one of my loved ones at their funeral, you run a fair chance of suffering physical injury at my hands.

I hear you. Break granted.

Lately in America, it is becoming more and more acceptable for one group of people to have a moral judgment against another group and to use the force of law or their numbers to prevent other people from rights given to them by the Constitution.

Just as an example, Republicans (in general) think it’s WRONG to be anti-war. Many of them think there should be a way to shut up the people who express anti-war sentiment. Many of them want to make laws that forbid the expression of what they consider anti-American speech in an effort to control the anti-war movement. But that expression is a right we are guaranteed.

These so-called Christian demonstrators are doing their best to do exactly that. They’re trying to control gay people, using any means available to them, any pressure they can to force gay people to stop being gay (or something). They’re scum for doing it and if I were a mourner, I couldn’t make any guarantees about their safety, but from an observer's perspective, I see that we must respect their right.

This trend toward controlling people we disagree with bothers me a great deal. We can disagree, we are going to disagree, but we need to live together. We need to learn how to say, “You know, I really hate what you’re doing, but I support your right to do it because it’s a right guaranteed by the Constitution and I have the same right when I need it.”

Then call them nasty names and leave.

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 10:44 PM
link   
xphiles

well, im surprised we dont have the anti-americans supporting these "christians" im sure they would if they supported gay rights.

Doubt it. Homosexuality is disdained more places than it's accepted. I personally don't care who you bugger. Who are the anti-Americans anyway? Why do you care, for that matter? Are you America, or are you a person? Because if you're a person, they're not attacking you.

Vagabond

Heretic makes an outstanding point.

I agree. He/she got at least one WATS for it.

I suppose it could easily be considered a weakness in me that I am disinclined to submit to his logic. I'm not so sure that all situations can be adequately covered by law.

I think most people suffer this to some degree. I don't think it's a weakness, exactly, it's more like an imbalance between our two conflicting natures. On one side there is compassion and restraint, our sense of justice, or as some call it, humanity, and on the other side there is instinct, cold logical cruelty bestowed by nature, designed to keep you alive long enough to killl and breed prolifically.

I could hardly fail to understand that I was going to be hurting people in a very harsh emotional way and that they may very well retaliate.

Yeah, they know too. They do it regardless, because they actually believe it's worth the injury, if a soul gets saved. It's truly tragic when people sacrifice goodness in this life, in search of rewards in the afterlife.

What I would really like is for their own common sense to stop them. Short of that, I'd like to see the mourners who they had come to torment turn on them and kill them.

It's sometimes hard to understand why things happen, and it's easy to resort to wishing for control over the universe. But the truth is more painful than any punishment you could devise.

"In the private chambers of the soul, the guilty party is identified, and the accusing finger there is not legend, but consequence, not fantasy, but the truth. People pay for what they do, and still more, for what they have allowed themselves to become. And they pay for it simply: by the lives they lead."
- James Baldwin

Killing serves a purpose yes. Sometimes it becomes necessary to do violence, you'll hear no objections from me. However, every decision comes with a consequence.

These people, who seem so alien to decent folks, are living testament to how far men can fall from grace while pursuing it. Getting beaten down in a parking lot pales in comparison to a lifetime of guilt, doubt, and fear.

My advice is to leave them to their misery.

[edit on 5-8-2005 by WyrdeOne]

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Hey muslims!

I'm talking to the ones that sit on their hands and say nothing about the terrorist acts perpetrated by their more radical brethren. I'm also talking to the muslims that condemn terrorism, but always do it with a "but" - as in "but because of the Israelis we understand why these muslims just blew up several innocent women and children".

Notice how we talk about radical Christians whenever they show their ugly beliefs? We trash them just as they deserve. See anyone saying they're bad, "but"?

See how it's done? Now, how about you try it ...

[edit on 8/5/2005 by centurion1211]

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Maybe they are like these guys onetruechurch.info

I remember at one point they had a picture of the twin towers falling and said it was God's punishment.

I know, as a Christian, that the United States may not be at the top of the morallity list, but it aint no Sodom and Gomorrah.

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

Notice how we talk about radical Christians whenever they show their ugly beliefs? We trash them just as they deserve. See anyone saying they're bad, "but"?

[edit on 8/5/2005 by centurion1211]

You mean like, "They're bad, but they're not really Christians. Just a perversion of it." Like that? Um, I actually have seen that a lot.

EDIT: Oh, I actually believe, "They're bad, but they're not really Christians. Just a perversion of it." too. Every religion has it's nuts that make the good ones
look bad.

[edit on 5-8-2005 by curme]

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 11:23 PM
link   
This is just another example of what happens whenever people allow themselves to be brain washed by organized religion. They are only regurgitating what has been force fed to them by their religious leaders. I pray that one day they will learn how to think and act for themselves. I support their right to protest, but I think that they showed very poor taste.

As for being Christians, the Bible says that you will know a true Christian by their fruit (in this case their behavior).

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Centurion's right, there're only 209,000 results for the S earch Muslims speak out about extremism. 209,000 isn't very many is it?

The same Search with the word Christian returns 201,000 results. So make of that what you will.

Fact remains, just because you choose not to see/hear it, doesn't mean it's not real.

[edit on 5-8-2005 by WyrdeOne]

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

Excellent!

You mean like, "They're bad, but they're not really Christians. Just a perversion of it." Like that? Um, I actually have seen that a lot.

EDIT: Oh, I actually believe, "They're bad, but they're not really Christians. Just a perversion of it." too. Every religion has it's nuts that make the good ones look bad.

Ah well lets do get picky then,

Do the Muslims say that they are not Muslims? No.

The act that these chumps did, was UN-Christian, the acts that the (radical) Muslims do, or at least the reasoning for them, is well.........

written in the Koran. Sure its taken out of context, just as the Old Testament is by so many in here. Problem is, the Christians are not calling for Jihad against the non-believers, the Muslims are for the most part.

When a Christian zealot comes around that even remotely preachs hate like these Inams do, AND a great majority of Christians celebrate the killings and spread it on the TV set like Al Jezzera does, then give me a call. Until then - its comparing apples to oranges.

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by edsinger

When a Christian zealot comes around that even remotely preachs hate like these Inams do, AND a great majority of Christians celebrate the killings and spread it on the TV set like Al Jezzera does, then give me a call. Until then - its comparing apples to oranges.

What, in your opinion, is a 'great majority'? Say, out of a billion believers?

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by C0le
Though i dont consider myself a christian... As far as there gay opinion, well idunno about the god punishing america thing, makes em sound like loons...

Well, I am a Christian (Believer in Christ, but not very good at the Christ-like part), and I'm tellin' you, somebody ought to send the big guys in white uniforms with the butterfy nets and the "I Love Me" jackets, because those people are as loopy as a roller coaster.

If any of my friends get whacked and these morons show up at the funeral, this is one Southern Baptist that is going to go Pentacostal for a few minutes. For those of you who don't follow, I'm gonna lay hands on them and slay them in the Holy Spirit!

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by edsinger

What, in your opinion, is a 'great majority'? Say, out of a billion believers?

Very good question, let me put it like this.......

Al Jezzera and its line of thinking or presenting the worlds news is LOVED by the majority of the Arab world.

They can not speak out about this for fear is a common excuse, yet they openly and vibrantly support the Palestinian bombers....

Their 'tithes' or whatever they are called are FREELY given to support these actions......

I think you can figure it out, but I will grant you this, its much LESS in the west but I would still say greater than 50% believe that suicide killing of innocents is justifiable in their minds and they either openly or silently SUPPORT them.

As for the Arab world, I would 'guess' greater than 75%...

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne

Most of the muslims speaking out, are American muslims, What counts are muslims who live amung these extremists, and say nothing.

The christians on the other hand are actualy speaking out against the people in our own communities.

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 01:31 AM
link   
bunch of nuts. these are the types that the US has to keep out of government.

thanks,
drfunk

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Instead of saying "God" killed the soldier, why not place blame where it's due, on the head of the neo-cons and other warmongers who are responsible for the soldier's death. Bush lied and troops died.

You're all so hyped up about supporting soldiers and the war effort. And that's nice and all but are these soldiers you so adore being used and abused? Or are they securing our freedom and safety? It's already pretty clear that Iraq under Saddam was no threat to these United States.

These Christians, as goofy as they may be, are trying to tell us that America has no business being in Iraq doing Israel's dirty business for it. Am I right or am I wrong? Christians try to do the right thing but they don't always succeed.

America should not be in Iraq under any circumstances. Nothing has been gained from this war. Not one thing.

The dead soldiers are blood on the hands of those who commanded them to enter hostile territory. They would be alive and well with their families if they had remained at home or on a foreign base. But the WAR that our government wages on innocent nations is the cause of their demise.

So why don't they blame god...er, president Bush?

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 02:15 AM
link   
So do we all agree that there can be some Christians who are not really Christians and there are Muslims who are not really Muslims and therefor, you can't put all the eggs in one basket because of the acts of a few?

Or are the Christians the only ones who are allowed to seperate themselves from the extreemists on their side of the fence but Muslims are all one and the same and deserve equal persecution for acts of the most extreem examples of that paticular ideology??

I for one would now like to see a lot less anti-mulim posts from now on, now that we know that a shared religious ideology does not equal a shared view on expressing that ideolgy, be it Christian or Muslim.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join