It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christians Protest At US Soldier's Funeral -

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Memorial services for a Marine who died in Iraq were marred Thursday when members of a Kansas church protested outside the church where the service was held.

Members of the Topeka, Kansas-based Westboro Baptist Church (WBC) had said they were going to attend Tuesday's funeral for Marine Corps Sergeant Bryan Opskar in Moorhead, Minnesota — the town where he and his wife lived. Protesters appeared instead at the services held in Princeton, Minnesota where the Opskar grew up.

A group of about ten protesters, including children, gathered across the street from the church silently holding signs. The signs included the messages "God blew up the troops," "Thank God for IEDs," "America is doomed" and "God hates America."

This is the second time in the last three weeks that the church has sent protesters to a dead-serviceman's funeral with a message that their deaths are a punishment from God. The church, famous for its anti-gay message, says that American troops are dying in Iraq because God is punishing the United States for an unsolved bombing of the church in 1995 that left a child seriously injured.

In a press release, the church said Opskar was killed by "by an IED (improvised explosive device), like the IED America used to bomb our church, in a terroristic attempt to stop WBC's anti-gay preaching."

NBC - KARE11

According to these Christians, God is punishing the United States for promoting a gay agenda. By this Christian logic, if we got rid of the gays, then God would then again protect the United States, and our terrorist problem would be over. I'd like to know what moderate Christians think about this, and why have they been so silent? Where are the moderate Christians to condemn the desecration of this soldier's funeral?

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Though i dont consider myself a christian (as its a title that very few people can honestly live up to) Ill put in my views, As far as there gay opinion, well idunno about the god punishing america thing, makes em sound like loons, but im with em on there dislike for them, As far as the protesting, at funerals, They pretty much cancel out he fact that they are christians by the utter disrespect for those men, they are a joke imho.

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Those people definitely need to get a life of some sort. My heart goes out to the poor families who have this disgusting disrespect added to the saddest day of their lives!

This can only be blamed on all Christians. These extremists are Christianity's problem. Why they don't take care of their own, I'll never know!

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 08:12 PM
link   
This is a disgrace. If this had have been my sons funeral they would have needed to dig ten more holes

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I just can't picture what these people must be like. Do they go home after a hard day's insulting the dead, sit around the dinner table, and pat each other on the back for being such good Christians? How does somebody grow up to become one of these people? I like to think I can understand people who come from a wide range of backgrounds, but I cannot for the life of me understand why these people, living in relative comfort here in America, with so many opportunities open to them, would choose to spend their time doing something like this. Is it something in the water?

-koji K.

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 08:30 PM
link   
If I was at that funeral I would be burning down a church later that night. Im not an American but those people don't deserve to live in the US.

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by C0leAs far as the protesting, at funerals, They pretty much cancel out he fact that they are christians by the utter disrespect for those men, they are a joke imho.

You nailed it spot on......

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 08:39 PM
link   

I'd like to know what moderate Christians think about this, and why have they been so silent? Where are the moderate Christians to condemn the desecration of this soldier's funeral?

We ignore them because they don't deserve the publicity.

It is sad that such people exist and even worse that they infect all groups, religions, etc. in society. There are always loons that take some weird road.

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Forgiven
We ignore them because they don't deserve the publicity.

Please realize we don't really want to start bombing churches tonight, we're being sarcastic, I'm afraid (or at least I am) about the numerous demands that 'mainstream Muslims' do something about the Muslim extremist terrorists actions. We're commenting on the twisted idea that all Muslims are responsible for terrorism. Some have suggested bombing Mecca and mosques as a way to retaliate and get them to stop. Thus the church bombing comment. I think

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Remember they are doing the work of God, in their minds they are just following a higher purpose in their faith.

they are christians and they have their right to express their opinion as long as is in the name of religion.

Sometimes I wonder whenever the tables are turn around and religious groups get to be the bad guys and not the "liberals"

[edit on 5-8-2005 by marg6043]

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 08:48 PM
link   
All religions have their extremists. It's just sad that the soldiers had to die at the hands of the Muslim extremists and then be disgraced at the hands of the christian ones.

I should rephrase that. This soldier was not disgraced, It was Christianity that was disgraced.

Perhaps the day will come when the Muslim world brings its extremists back into the light, and christianity will do the same.

Until then, I pray for them all.

Wupy

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 08:51 PM
link   
These people are a disgrace and certainly aren't Christians whatever they claim to be. They are no different than Islamic terrorists and should be treated in the same harsh manner.

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Sometimes I wonder whenever the tables are turn around and religious groups get to be the bad guys and not the "liberals"

I agree with the first part of your post, although I do think they're being disrespectful, I support their right to do what they're doing.

But I'm not clear on the meaning of this part. Could you expand a little so I know what you're saying? Sorry, I just don't undestand.

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Well they have the right, but some lines you do not cross, let the family GRIEVE.

What they are doing is not a Christian act by any stretch.

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Afew weeks ago it was the story of a "democrat" in at a soldier's funeral, they made it into a big deal and was all over the news for days.

We have now Christians crashing this soldier's funeral and the publicity is not the same.

Funny.

I guess when it comes to the will of good God, and what is done in his name he will prevail.

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 09:01 PM
link   
It's very uncouth what they're doing. Very insensitive as well.

They have the right, sure. But what about their responsibility?

They see their responsibility to their ideology as primary, and their responsibility to their fellow men as secondary. This is bass-ackwards, and it's essentially what defines an extremist.

Anyone willing to make such an ass out of themself, and be so cruel to their neighbors, has a very warped sense of morality.

I don't think they're terrorists though. Just religious idiots lacking their own soul.

cjf

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 09:03 PM
link   
There is little doubt in my mind Reverend Fred Phelps and his followers have some serious issues and twisted views; but the ‘protesting’ at a funeral under these pretences is deplorable. Although the 'right' exists, it was neither the time nor the place. One can only hope people can see him for the complete unchristian joke he and his organization truly represent.

If that was my son’s funeral and this group showed, at best I would be incarcerated.

The Rev. Fred Phelps, the controversial man who has led disruptive anti-gay protests at funerals all over the country, claims Taylor and other soldiers were killed with improvised explosive devices as part of retaliation by God against the United States for allowing "gays" to bomb his church, Westboro Baptist Church of Topeka, Kan.
(Link to Article) (emphasis added)

Another sick 'advertisement' by the same group:

Thank God for the Bombing of London’s Subway

IMO, what complete idiots.

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Hum, after reading the link over and over again I have the opinion that they are actually blaming the US for having our soldiers killed.

Doesn't that merits to be call an act of terror against the government?

After all they are blaming the death of our soldiers as punishment from God that include the government.

Funny how God now is involved on how our soldiers are dying in Iraq.

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 09:07 PM
link   
I have 3 letters for the Rev. Fred Phelps: ATF

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Sick people, I saw these pictures a while back. Very sick!
People like this make me wonder why our government gives its citizens the freedom of stupidicy.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join