It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Public Education's "Hidden Curriculum"

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Orangetom,

I understand that "friends" and "enemies" are really the same: if a powerful gov let down its gaurd for even a short time, other govs would try and exploit that.

Hey how about those Cowboys..Tampa Bay....Nascar....Despirate Housewives.....Fear Factor...you know .important stuff in our daily lives.??? Any drivel ...to keep you from thinking about the nature of a thing...Any Drivel!!! Lol lol...Life in the fast food lane!!!!

I always noticed how pop culture and the media have distracted young minds from actually thinking for themselves. Our news is filled with what could matter less: "Michael Jackson molests another school aged boy!" "Could Jen really be marrying Brad? Is this it?!"
On top of that, there is a social pressure that gives the message "If you think this stuff is boring, then you're a loser/geek"

Know what I mean?

posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by chitoryu12
I've always thought about that(heh, a thirteen year old thinking independently). I mean, all the stuff they teach you, when will you use it in real life. I think that at schools they should have a list of "job classes". You pick a job that you want to be, and you take classes that teach you how to deal with that carrer. They could also have one core class that teaches you to handle certain real-life situations.

Well, there should be basic schooling, like: adding, subtracting, basic history, etc. But this process should either be a side thing or should end once you enter junior high.

The schools need to individualize and teach you stuff you need, but there is a problem with what you propose for schooling: What if you realize that the career you've wanted all your life really doesn't work for you? Then the only knowledge you have is how to work that career, and you're stuck in a dead end of a job you hate. You'd have to go back, throw the dice again and relearn a new career, which is really inefficient.

[edit on 13-8-2005 by the_individualist]

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 09:47 AM
link   
I agree, but as to schools making you conform. It seems theyve done a crappy job on me. Also what you conform to in both cities I have lived in is that the government sucks and that nwo is coming. Although...
I have been shunned for not giving two ----s about the news outside of politics

<< 1   >>

join