It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Goin' Medieval? Sounds like one of my friends...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I've been playing role-playing games and the like for a long time with friends. After reading this I had to check the name and picture to make sure he wasn't one of them. Anyway, here we go...

Crusader Nabbed By Michigan Cops
Medieval sword, mallet, armor no match for ye olde Taser

AUGUST 5--Meet Robert McClain. The Michigan man, 42, was arrested last week after he attempted to literally go medieval on cops. According to the below Royal Oak Police Department report, officers were dispatched to McClain's home after a motorist called 911 to report that McClain had fled the scene of an auto accident. When they arrived at his crib, McClain allegedly tried to strike a cop with a four-foot sword. After missing, McClain retreated to his basement, where he donned a chainmail armored vest and leather gauntlets to protect his arms. He also added a giant wooden mallet to his arsenal and beckoned officers to come downstairs and get him. "I'm gonna crush your #ing skulls," McClain warned. Then, in a nice rhetorical flourish (for a lunatic, at least), he added, "I have a thousand years of power." That omnipotence, however, was no match for a police Taser, which felled McClain. He was then carted off and charged with felony assault and a misdemeanor count for failing to remain at an accident scene.

Source: www.thesmokinggun.com...

...and no, I don't believe role-playing games caused this to happen.

Pray, train, study,
God bless.

[edit on 5-8-2005 by saint4God]

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 06:36 AM
link   
sounds like he got what he deserved.. what a werido... interesting read,,

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Methinks it's a clear sign that certain citizens should put down their WhiteWolf books once in awhile, and go get some sunshine.

Or take their medication, at the very least.

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Police Taser > 1,000 years of power

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Rant. You beast.

That's the second lot of tissues I've had to break out for the sole purpose of monitor wipeage.

I wonder if he'd have to roll extra dice for that.

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Clearly, this was a botch. He rolled a handful of ones, and was defeated by the primogen's thugs! Oh, whatever shall out valiant shovelhead do?

Lesson learned: Metal armor+electricity=good watching for the viewers of COPS.

Well, another bad guy behind bars. Hopefully, this gives everyone a chuckle and some appreciation for what the police deal with everyday.

DE

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Each Officer should be issued with at least 1 Hammer of Thor and 1 Favor of Odin.

Sanc'.

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Frankly, my Booster Snail and Assault Snail combo would 0wn j00.

Or something.

Clicky clicky - more or less worksafe

Sorry, sorry. Shutting up.

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 08:50 AM
link   
This reminds of a medieval guy who used to ride the downtown EL in Chicago with a play sword and makeshift armour. People pretty much ignored him although he often had very interesting battle epics to recite to us on our morning commute. Rumour had it he used to be U of I professor of History who had a complete breakdown.

Trouble was there was also another character on the train who believed he was an Elizabethan poet who was sent to the future to instruct us about the past. He wore one of those neck thingies and recited all manner of Shakespearean sonnets and bard-like poetry written by himself.

Sometimes the two of them got into battles and once the coppers had to come and take them away.

Lost souls really. It must be horrible to think you are a 1000 year old knight. As if you could really save anyone in this day and age.

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by nikelbee
He wore one of those neck thingies

Did he ever mention his name? Percy, perhaps.

Sanc'.

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 09:16 AM
link   
As far as the 1,000 years of power, most people can't keep a steady exercise routine so he probably took some time off now and then and just practiced to keep in shape. All in all, it's probably only 225 years of actual power usage. Though it sounds like a lot, he clearly hadn't been keeping up with it as evidenced by the car wreck. Reflexes must be going. He would'a had a better chance using this instead of weapons and armor:

As a gamer, I gotta say it's pretty embarrassing for the rpg/ccg world since it gives reason to think we're nuts (well, more than within acceptable parameters anyway).

[edit on 11-8-2005 by saint4God]

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 09:53 AM
link   
The thing I find truly amazing about this story is that he attacked an officer with a four foot sword and wasn't shot. People have been killed for less. Those Michigan cops are pretty patient. Good for them.

Peace

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Why do i always find cases involving wannabe medieval warriors funny?!
I always imagined this was how those people jammed into the Warhammer shops playing those board games would end up when they grew up.

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I think this illustrates perfectly the reasons for having tazers.

The guy was obviously unhinged, and dangerous, but since the cops felt they could bring him down without killing him, the tazer gave them that option.

Good for them indeed.

It's always nice to read one good tazer story, since there are several bad ones in the news every week. These things are awesome when used under the proper circumstances.

The cops should get a commendation.

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Wife accused in swordplay death of husband
Tue Jun 20, 4:20 AM ET

A Chinese woman has been charged with accidentally killing her husband with a sword after he refused to make her dinner, the Shanghai Daily said on Tuesday.

Police said Tang Xiaowan, 25, who has been practising swordsmanship since she was young, had often forced her husband of three years at swordpoint to carry out her demands.

On March 3, her husband, Li Weidong, refused to cook dinner because he was late for work.

Police said Tang picked up her sword and put it on Li's chest and promptly slipped, stabbing Li by mistake.

Li died in hospital from loss of blood.

Tang was arrested on Monday and charged with manslaughter.

[edit on 22-6-2006 by saint4God]

top topics

join