It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

no news- surely Area 51 cant be that secret???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 01:46 PM
link   
After all the publicity that place has got the government cant be that stupid holding top secret things there if there was a war that place would be instantly bombed

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Most of the top advanced technology and "alien" stuff has been moved to a location in Utah.

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Well, we still have Sandia, White Sands, Los Alamos, and other high-tech government labs there. They could be "bombed" anywhere, but the locations are still very remote and away from prying eyes. Satellites are more of a concern, but thats a concern anywhere you go. Area 51 is still fully capable of performing its duties, and the recent construction boom should tell anyone that it is perfectly alive and well.

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by anitawee
if there was a war that place would be instantly bombed

Lucky there isn't a war then

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 06:39 PM
link   
This thread should be here.

It'll be hard for the place to get bombed. As soon as Nellis see something on the rader they'll send some fighter jets up there.

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Your right, area 51 is NO secret, but what they are doing there IS. Lots of 'rumors' abound about whats really going on there.

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 09:36 PM
link   

This thread should be here

Follow up posts support the ET angle, so letting it slide for now...

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Yup. As somepeople have already mentioned, the place isn't secret, but what they do there is.

I heared that recently there has been huge excavation and that they are probably moving most of the base underground. This would probably protect it from any blast aswell as the obvious advantages of camoflage from Spy Sattelites.

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 02:08 AM
link   
I was stationed at White Sands Missile Range there in New Mexico. That's a really cool place and I miss that place. It's tucked in right behind a big mountain. I never saw anything alien or top secret there though, unfortunatley..

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 03:02 AM
link   
For the longest time there was no official acknowledgement that Area 51 existed at all, which is quite different from other places like Los Alamos. Other facilities maintain security, some rather strongly, but Area 51 was just in another league.

From what I understand the area is totally independant from the State that it is in. The story I heard is that once it was acknowledged as existing someone said 'It might as well be the 51st state' which is where the name came from. That might just be a little myth but it is also quite true as far as how things work there.

For me this incredable level of secrecy fits right in with it being the primary center for UFO research. There are other places where secret military projects are running but we at least always acknowledged that they existed unlike Area 51.

A.T
(-)

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 04:07 AM
link   
I thought it was "51" because that was the grid it was in.

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 05:14 AM
link   

I thought it was "51" because that was the grid it was in.

I have heard that and I have also heard that it is the 51st in the set of secret installations. I have a hard time with the latter because the documents that are the foundation did not surface until years after the name because common. I find it hard to believe that we would keep the very existance of the place a secret and then acknowledge that it was one of many such places.

With all things of this sort it is hard to trace down where the name originated. I actually posted thinking that perhaps someone who has spent some time looking might have a really solid answer.

A.T
(-)

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Personally I think it's there to cover up another secret building nearby..
ex. everyone is paying attention to Area 51
if you put another nearby and used Area 51 to hide it how could the public find the actual building..
equineartist

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Equin, that's S-4.

top topics

join