It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britain to ban two Islamist groups (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 09:10 AM
link   
In further attempts to thwart future terrorist attacks in Britain, two radical Islamist groups will be banned from operating in the country. Hizb ut-Tahrir and the successor organization of al Muhajiroun (a group that celebrated the Sept. 11 2001, attacks on the United States but is meant to have disbanded) are the 2 groups who will not be allowed to operate in Britain.

go.reuters.com
LONDON (Reuters) - Britain will ban two radical Islamist groups from operating in the country as part of a raft of measures to be introduced following bomb attacks on London last month, Prime Minister Tony Blair said on Friday.
He said his government would outlaw Hizb ut-Tahrir, an organization that says it is dedicated to creating an Islamic caliphate centered on the Middle East but insists it does not support violence.

Blair said the government would also ban a successor organization to al Muhajiroun, a group that celebrated the Sept. 11 2001, attacks on the United States but is meant to have disbanded.

"We will proscribe Hizb ut-Tahrir and the successor organization of al Muhajiroun," Blair told a news conference.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is yet another step taken by Britain to avoid future attacks including strict deportation guidelines for fanatics who encourage terrorism. I believe this to be a direct retaliation to the recent al-Qaeda threats to the UK and the US.

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Mmmmmm....do these groups actually exist in the UK at present or are these just two groups that Blair is saying will NOT be allowed to operate within the UK?

If these named groups are not currently operating in the UK (something that would be difficult to prove either way) the this is nothing more than Grandstanding for the press.

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Hizb ut-Tahrir - still exists and works in the UK. They are hell bent shoving an Islamic state down our throats.

al Muhajiroun - promoted terrorism and threaten to use it against the UK. Sent two suicide bombers to Israel.

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 10:04 AM
link   
What I'd like to know is exactly how Blair will stop them from "operating". I imagine that they do much of their work covertly, which would make it hard to disband them or any group like them. But, I may be wrong. Perhaps they work out in the open.

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Already covered here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

join