It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A View Of Iraq From An USArmy Soldier

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 07:30 AM
link   
I am a concerned veteran of the Iraq War. I am not an expert on the vast and wide range of issues throughout the political spectrum, but I can offer some first hand experience of the war in Iraq through the eyes of a soldier. My view of the situation in Iraq will differ from what the American People are being told by the Bush Administration. The purpose of this message is to voice my concern that we were misled into war and continue to be misled about the situation! in Iraq every day. My opinions on this matter come from what I witnessed in Iraq personally

We now know most of the information given to us by the current Administration concerning Iraq, if not all the information, was false. This was information given to the American people to justify a war. The information about weapons of mass destruction and a link to Osama Bin Laden scared the American people into supporting the war in Iraq. They presented an atmosphere of intimidation that suggested if we did not act immediately there was the possibility of another ! attack. Bush said himself that we do not want the proof or the smoking gun to come in the form of a "mushroom cloud." Donald Rumsfeld said, "We know where the weapons are."

The invasion was very confusing, and so was the period of time I spent in Iraq afterward. At first it did seem as if some of the Iraqi people were happy to be rid of Saddam Hussein. But that was only for a short period of time. Shortly after Saddam's regime fell, the Shiite Muslims in Iraq conducted a pilgrimage to Karbala, a pilgrimage prohibited by Saddam while he was in power. As I witnessed the Shiite pilgrimage, which was a new freedom that we provided to them, they used the pilgrimage to protest our presence in their country. I watched as they beat themselves over the head with sticks until they bled, and screamed at us in anger to leave their country. Some even carried signs that stated, "No Saddam, No America." These were people that Saddam oppressed; they were his enemies. To me, it seemed they hated us more than him.

During my year in Iraq I had many altercations with the so-called "insurgency." I found the insurgency I saw to be quite different from the insurgency described to the American people by the Bush Administration, the media, and other supporters of the war. There is no doubt in my mind there are foreigners from other surrounding countries in Iraq. Anyone in the Middle East who hates America now has the opportunity to kill Americans because there are roughly 140,000 US troops in Iraq. But the bulk of the insurgency I faced was primarily the people of Iraq who were attacking us as a reaction to what they felt was an occupation of their country.

I wish I could provide an answer to this mess. I wish I knew of a realistic way to get our troops home. But we are very limited in our options in my opinion. If we pull out immediately, it's likely the Iraqi security forces will not be able to provide stability on their own. In that event, the new Iraqi government could possibly be overthrown. The other option would be to reduce our troop numbers and have a gradual pullout. That is very risky because it seems that even with the current number of troops the violence still continues. With a significant troop reduction, there is a strong possibility the violence and attacks on US and coalition forces could escalate and get even worse. In my opinion, that is more of a certainty.

In closing, I ask that we never forget why this war started. The Bush Administration cried weapons of mass destruction and a link to Al Queda. We know that this is false and the Bush administration concedes it as well. As a soldier who fought in that war, I feel misled. I feel that I was sent off to fight for a cause that never existed. When I joined the military I did so to defend the United States of America, not to be sent off to a part of the world to fight people who never attacked me or my country. Many have died as a result of this. The people who started this war need to start being honest with the American people and take responsibility for their actions. More than anything, they need to stop saying everything is rosy and create a solution to this problem they created.

Thank you for hearing me out. God Bless our great nation, the United States of America.

John Bruhns

Source:
Information Clearing House

Now there you have it - a View of Situation in Iraq from a US Soldier.

A Man who has been to Iraq, who has seen the War with his Own Eyes and a Man who is Thinking with his Head.

Clearly Iraq Today is a MESS and what to do now, it's a very big Dilemma.

It was a War based on LIES and even Soliders feel Deceived and Mislead - for the Main Reasons for this War and main reasons why Young Men and Women joined the Army to go and Fight in Iraq were based on Lies.

What is TRUE then?

What is REAL?

How can we Belive a WORD that these People say?

Yet Another Proof that this Goverment is a bunch of War Pigs that do not CARE for Nobody - not even the Lives of their Fellow Countrymen - but for THEMSELVES, their Stocks and their own Secret Intentions in this War.

August is only 5 days old and already alot of US Soliders and Marines Died.

How many More Mothers will receive the Letter from the Department of Defence and will collapse on the Ground Screaming and Crying?

All those EAGER War Supporters that still support Bush in his "Democracy in the Middle East" Campaign - I suggest that you go down ther YOURSELVES and see with your own eyes what is really going on; and then Decide.

Just like Mister John Bruhns did.

And I Also Strongly Suggest that you all Read the Entire Letter.

Thank You.

[edit on 5/8/05 by Souljah]

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 07:48 AM
link   
He does not represent an entire army and every soldier and Marine out there. I agree with alot of what he said, even though it was ONE man's view.

However....

But the bulk of the insurgency I faced was primarily the people of Iraq who were attacking us as a reaction to what they felt was an occupation of their country.

That CANNOT be proven and one man's testimony is NOT proof.
Many of my buddies that were and are still Iraq said just the opposite.

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 07:52 AM
link   
SportyMB,

Who talks about Proof and Evidence - this is One Man's View over the Carnage, called War in Iraq. His Own Opinion. He has Expressed it. He did not present the Facts nor did he show any Evidence. He was speaking from his own Experience - something we people here CAN NOT do.

This is His Story - and not your buddies' one.

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Souljah, I didnt say he stated anything as fact and I know you didnt
either.
I was just giving a friendly reminder to people.....that he is one man
that expressed his opinion. Because, as we all know, many people
try to act like a letter from someone is the truth. And they'll say some
trash like See, Everything I said is true because this guy wrote it in a letter and other nonsense like that. Just simply getting it out of the way
in advance

sporty

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Interesting read Souljah, thnx for posting it.

But the bulk of the insurgency I faced was primarily the people of Iraq who were attacking us as a reaction to what they felt was an occupation of their country.

That CANNOT be proven and one man's testimony is NOT proof.

CANNOT be proven ?
IMHO it's a pretty understandable reaction to a totaly unjustified war which is making Iraq far worse then under Saddam.

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 02:51 PM
link   
A "Soldier"? Really?

What service? What rank? What unit? Where stationed? What MOS? What home-of-record?

Nothing in that diatribe says anything about him serving anywhere in Iraq as a Soldier.

Typical BS post by Souljah....again.

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Army
A "Soldier"? Really?

What service? What rank? What unit? Where stationed? What MOS? What home-of-record?

This is a soldier who voluntarily joined our Army in February 2002; trained as an infantryman at Fort Benning, Georgia; sent to Fort Riley; participated in the opening stages of the war, fighting all the way to Baghdad where he would remain for the next year and was promoted to the rank of sergeant during his service to the United States and was honorably discharged. He is 27 years old.

www.kaptur.house.gov...

"I did my job well in Iraq. During the deployment, my superiors promoted me to the rank of sergeant. I was made a rifle team leader and was put in charge of other soldiers when we carried out missions."

Is that SATISFACTORY for You, S I R?

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Hasn't this been done to death? Do we need to go over the definition again?

the term "insurgent" in Iraq means - Iraqi civilian, and or foreign Jihadist waging guerilla warfare against coalition forces.

Propaganda 101:

Iraq civilians cannot be insurgents, nor foriegners. To be an insurgent one must revolt against an ESTABLISHED, OPERATING governing body. Not revolt against an invading body. For Iraqi's to be insurgents they would've had to revolt against Sadaam and Sadaam's IDF.

The definition is being rendered to fit Iraq, and probably history for that matter, simply because guerilla is an ugly word that brings up memories of Vietnam, Latin America, and the Phillipines.

An example of the correct definition of an insurgent would be the Tamil Tigers.

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Sorry Souljah, I have friends over there, and they paint a different picture.

I will take the words of friends whom I have known for over a decade over the words of one man on information clearing house.

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Insurgency

An insurgency is an armed rebellion by any irregular armed force that rises up against an established authority, government, administration or occupation. Those carrying out an insurgency are “insurgents”. Insurgents conduct sabotage and harassment. Insurgents usually are in opposition to a civil authority or government primarily in the hope of improving their condition.

American Mad Man - Ofcourse you Belive your friends, especially if you all share the same Views as Yourself.

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Hopefully a few vets from this current Iraq War can jump in and lend support or opposition to this soldiers view by parallelling their experiences over there, one way or another. Would be interesting reading.

That way, this thread wont be filled up by "My right wing neocon buddy over there who is exactly like me which is why we are friends reckons the opposite" posts which mean nothing anyway. The fact that you think posts like this are made to "convince you" is arrogant and laughable. ATS is not about you. Your "lone crusader" fantasy roleplay about kicking in the saloon doors at ATS and joining up to set the board straight has done nothing to deny ignorance on this board whatsoever. The same can be said for the romantacist freedom fighter groupies.

[edit on 5-8-2005 by cargo]

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by cargo
The same can be said for the romantacist freedom fighter groupies.

Was that Directed at me?

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 07:42 PM
link   
It was meant as a dig at simpleton multiplayer team-based mentality here. The only people who will gain anything from their experience at ATS are those who come here with an open mind. That is the essence of the conspiracist.

I havn't seen you show any open hostility towards Americans as a people, Souljah. But you must understand that your views will have you labelled one way or another, by one group or another, as being part of one group or another.

I myself cannot find fault in the Iraqi people fighting the coalition forces. Who am I to pass judgement on them for choosing to fight those who have essentially invaded and occupied their country? Make no mistake, that is what has happened here. I am also a citizen of a coalition country with soldiers in Iraq now, and I love my countrymen who I know are not there out of the will to dominate and belittle the people of Iraq (Although I cannot be sure there are not individuals in the coalition forces who are like that). so it is very conflicting for me.

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 07:55 PM
link   
OK, two can play your game....but I come with more accurate weapons:

Marine from former Russian Republic fights for freedom in Iraq
Marine Corps News ^ | Aug 5, 2005 | Cpl. Ken Melton

HIT, Iraq (August 5, 2005) -- “To know what freedom really is, you have to defend it,” said the soft-spoken machine gunner from Company K, 3rd Battalion, 25th Marine Regiment. “I’m here doing my part because I know what it’s like to not have the freedom many take for granted.”

Twenty-four-year-old Cpl. Andrei V. Chernyshev was born in Alma-aty, Kazakhstan in the former Soviet Union were he and his family was denied freedom to practice their faith as Christians, under communist rule.

Despite this fact, Chernyshev remembers having a good childhood before moving to the United States with his family at age 12 when the government collapsed.

He learned how to speak English over the next few years while adjusting to his new life style as an immigrant in America.

“They had a better educational system here and we weren’t not discriminated against because of our beliefs,” the State College, Penn., native and 1999 State College Area High School graduate. “The idea of free thought, free speech was something new to me and I was happy to be a part of it.”

Throughout his school years, he met other students from different countries, who shared similar stories with him.

He joined the Marine Corps Reserve after graduating from high school with hopes of traveling after he earned his associate’s degree. He got his chance when his unit deployed to Iraq last March.

As he patrols the streets here, some citizens seem intimidated by his size of 6 feet 6 inches tall, but after speaking with him, they see he is not as imposing as he seems.

“When people find out I’m Russian they seem to be more relaxed around me,” the 2004 South Hills Business School graduate said. “They know that in the past Russia was friendly with their country and they see now that some from there is trying to help them.”

One way Chernyshev helps his unit and the community is by using his language skills to identify weaponry and explosives from Russia so they can be properly disposed.

Chernyshev knows that by helping the people of Iraq he is providing security for his new home, America, which he became citizen of two years ago.

“I don’t understand why some Americans protest the war and the military and so many immigrants support it,” Chernyshev said in his distinctive Russian accent. “I guess it’s because we know what it is to be deprived and to have dangerous men tearing our country apart.

“I don’t want anyone to have to experience that, and I will not let anyone do that to my America.”

See how the whole truth works? Name, rank, unit, location, mission, MOS.....and desire.

I'll also pipe in to this. I was there, and I am in full agreement with CPL Chernyshev in his assessment of the situation, and reasons. No grey areas. No "open mindedness" (which really means no personal convictions). Nothing but black and white, good and evil, right and wrong....... death and life.

Me? I prefer being right, alive, and acting with strong personal conviction with but one goal in mind....victory over those that want us dead.

It really is just that simple.

Thought I would add this one too:
Native American from N.D. serves in Marine Corps, continues family tradition
Marine Corps News ^ | Aug 5, 2005 | 2nd Marine Division

AR RAMADI, Iraq (August 5, 2005) -- Kelly P. Baker is proud of his heritage and the fact that he’s continuing his family’s legacy of serving in the Marine Corps during a time of conflict.

Corporal Baker, a 21-year-old from New Town – a city inside Ft. Berthold Indian Reservation in North Dakota – is a third generation Marine and descendant of affiliated Great Plains tribes Mandan, Hidasta and Arikara.

“I’m very proud to be Native American and following in the footsteps of my grandpa and dad,” said Baker during a recent foot patrol in the city here with his fellow Marines. “They were both Marines.”

Baker is a rifleman and team leader with 2nd Squad, 1st Platoon, Company C, 1st Battalion, 5th Marine Regiment. He has spent the past five months in the Al Anbar capital with the infantry battalion conducting security and stabilization operations in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom. This is his first deployment to Iraq.

His grandfather, the late Clyde Baker, served as a motor transportation operator in the Marines during World War II and fought in the Battle of Okinawa. His father Hugh Baker served during Vietnam.

“He and my grandpa both got out as corporals,” said Baker.

Baker said he’d planned to join the Corps from an early age. He led an active lifestyle growing up, “playing lots of basketball and running” is how he spent most of his time. “Those are big on the reservation.”

Much of Baker’s inspiration to become a Marine and proudly wear the Eagle, Globe and Anchor came from his father.

“My dad would share stories with me about his time in the Marines,” he said.

The attacks of September 11, 2001 further prompted Baker to enlist and take a stand against terrorism. Upon graduating New Town High School in 2002, he sought out the nearest Marine recruiter and enlisted choosing the infantry military occupational specialty.

“I chose the infantry because, in my opinion, that’s what the Marine Corps is all about – fighting,” he said. “I figured that if I was in the Marine infantry I would deploy right away and get into the fight soon. The war on terrorism is important, and I wanted to be a part of it right away.”

Baker, however, had to wait some time before battling terrorist on Iraq’s urban battlefield.

After graduating from Marine Corps Recruit Training in San Diego and the School of Infantry West at Marine Corp Base Camp Pendleton, Calif., Baker was stationed at Marine Corps Barracks 8th and I in Washington, D.C., for two years.

“I was part of the Parade Four,” he said proudly. “I was the right rifleman.”

Though he wasn’t in the fight, Baker said he enjoyed his time as a member of the Parade Four.

“I loved it. I got to travel a lot nationally and internationally with the Silent Drill Platoon and Drum and Bugle Corps.”

Baker traveled to Paris and Ireland and throughout the West Coast, during which time he had the privilege of meeting several VIPS and play basketball with the Marine Corps Commandant Gen. Mike Hagee.

Baker joined 1st Battalion, 5th Marines last November and got his wish to fight in the Global War on Terrorism when the infantry battalion deployed here in March.

“I feel good about what I’m doing here,” he said. “It may be 120 degrees most days and carrying around all this heavy gear on long missions stinks, but it’s worth the sweat. We’re not only helping free the Iraqi people, but we’re helping keep America and the rest of the world safe. If we can fight the terrorist here in Iraq and not in the States, than that’s good.”

Baker’s family supports his patriotism, but his service worries his mother, Barbara. Justin, her other son, served in the Army’s 82nd Airborne Division and fought the Taliban in Afghanistan from 2001 – 2002.

“That kept her nervous and high strung,” Baker said. “She watched the news a lot and checked the internet and is doing the same while I’m here. Dad is all for it. Mom supports me, too, but is still concerned like most mothers. She’s anxious for this deployment to be over and for me to come home.”

Baker corresponds with his mother and father several times each week through e-mail and phone.

“I tell her not to worry and that I’m serving with Marines who’re here a third time so I’m in good hands,” he said. “I tell her I’m safer here than in California.”

Baker will return to California when his unit finishes its deployment. He plans on finishing his time in the Corps and getting out next year with an honorable discharge to pursue a higher education.

“I plan to attend the University of Marry in Bismarck, N.D., and getting a master’s in social work,” he said. “I’m looking forward to spending time with my family when I get back. They are really important to me.”

Seems to me, I can easily find real and complete reports from the men "over there", that really do have a clue what they are doing.

[edit on 5-8-2005 by Army]

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 08:03 PM
link   
The trouble is he is not fighting normal people , they believe in Allah who in their belief will make them marters so they don't care if they die. The US and UK don't believe in Allah and they do care about dying. Thats the difference ,a belief in a God that has lost its way in Western countries but is still mainstream in Muslim Nations

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 08:10 PM
link   

victory over those that want us dead.

Perhaps there is a young Iraqi man sitting by the window of a bombed out office building checking over his AK-74 while his RPG-7 is leaning against the wall. Perhaps he notices a Hummvee coming down the street. Perhaps the intelligence gathered which stated this Hummvee would come down this street at this time and on this day, like clock work, was right. Perhaps he has the intention of blowing up this Humvee with said RPG-7, firing on survivors and then bugging out ASAP. Perhaps you are in that Hummvee. Perhaps he wants you dead.

Perhaps if you weren't in his country, driving down the street in your Humvee, he wouldn't want you dead. Perhaps if you were in Afghanistan patrolling a rocky mountain in search for remnant Taliban, he would not want you dead. perhaps if you were at home, watching the game, sipping a beer, and sitting with your young American son, he wouldn't want you dead.

If you invade someone's country, they will want you dead. There is your black and white.

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 08:13 PM
link   

OK, two can play your game....but I come with more accurate weapons:

So, your 'more accurate weapons' are press releases from 'the Marine Corps' news'? What's your definition of 'more accurate'?

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 08:14 PM
link   

That way, this thread wont be filled up by "My right wing neocon buddy over there who is exactly like me which is why we are friends reckons the opposite" posts which mean nothing anyway. The fact that you think posts like this are made to "convince you" is arrogant and laughable. ATS is not about you. Your "lone crusader" fantasy roleplay about kicking in the saloon doors at ATS and joining up to set the board straight has done nothing to deny ignorance on this board whatsoever.

You have voted cargo for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have one more vote left for this month.

Its such a shame that most Americans have been socially-conditioned to see things in terms of black vs. white, good vs. bad, Republican vs. Democrat etc etc. Everything is in a shade of grey in this day and age, and the sooner more people realise that - the sooner this board will become more constructive...

And from what I can see, Souljah has done nothing, except post his opinion and the opinion of one of the G-I's that was over there... Army, you seem to be the product of your nations social-engineering... the perfect example actually...

Americans are brought up to be overly competitive, and overly patriotic, and overly 2-Dimensional...

I am personally against my country being involved in the NWO chess board... And I am against any foreign country invading another - No matter the reasons... The US Government LIED (I repeat) LIED!!! to its people to start this war... And you all forgot sooo easily, I would be wanting answers...

And while you may be personally for the war - none of you seem to have come to grips with the fact that your government lied...

But I'm joining Souljah on the side of Freedom Fighter Groupies... Merely because its closer to the thruth, than this absolute BS our governments feed us...

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Its such a shame that most Americans have been socially-conditioned to see things in terms of black vs. white, good vs. bad...

Yes, conditioned since its founding to think black and white, good vs. evil. My way of thinking, has YOU socially engineered to no longer think of your fellow man, but what you can get for yourself. Sacrifice has been slowly eliminated in American society, to the point of some seeing only "grey".

And from what I can see, Souljah has done nothing, except post his opinion and the opinion of one of the G-I's that was over there...

Ahh, but there's the rub! I do appreciate Souljah's opinions, however there is no way to confirm that a Soldier actually wrote that. Read again, my first post.

Army, you seem to be the product of your nations social-engineering... the perfect example actually...

If by that you mean, being raised in a God fearing household by a Mother AND a Father (and 2 brothers and 4 sisters, and nearly 90 foster kids), both of whom did their duty during WWII without question (Dad was a Bombardier on a B17, Mom riveted together B24's). Reached Life in Boy Scouts, was county All-Star in 4-H, still serve as Assistant Scoutmaster, pray to my God regularly, pay too high taxes (thank you Clinton), have been married for nearly 20 years to my one and only wife, raised a beautiful daughter who is now in nursing college, and joined the Army in 1988 to serve and give back to my country.

Yes, I suppose that is a perfect example.

Americans are brought up to be overly competitive, and overly patriotic, and overly 2-Dimensional...

Yet we overcame the injustice of the Civil War and remain one Nation, defied imperialism in WWI and freed western Europe, defied Socialism/Fascism/Imperialsm in WWII and freed damn near most of the world, stopped Communist world domination in its tracks, put people on the moon, and have sent machines into deep space.

Thank GOD we are competitive, patriotic, and 2 dimensional, and have allowed that to fuel our desire to improve not only our lot, but mankind.

(when was the last time high quality Syrian automobiles dominated the luxury market?)

I am personally against my country being involved in the NWO chess board... And I am against any foreign country invading another - No matter the reasons...

I suppose even the French can't honestly say that. BTW, the US is leaving western Europe and closing dozens of military bases there....puts a damper on the NWO, don't it?

The US Government LIED (I repeat) LIED!!! to its people to start this war... And you all forgot sooo easily, I would be wanting answers...

I suppose it would be redundant to remind you, that the intell that GW acted on, is the very same that Clinton acted on? The only difference, is GW got Senate and Congressional permmision first.

And while you may be personally for the war...

Do not mistake "for war", for doing what is necessary. NO soldier wants war, we are the last hope after total diplomatic failure. However, good Soldiers understand what he is supposed to do. Nobody made us join the military.

But I'm joining Souljah on the side of Freedom Fighter Groupies... Merely because its closer to the thruth, than this absolute BS our governments feed us...

And as soon as he posts the truth......

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Off topic, but I'm assuming that Souljah created this thread from the replies generated, yet, I can't see the initial post.. whats the deal here? I checked my ignore list to see if I accidentally ignored him and hes not on it....

??

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join