It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CIA operating in Norway

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 07:03 AM
link   
I just wanted to tell you that the CIA has been interrogating people in Norway without permission, specifically the iranian Reza Mohajer. The norwegian chief of justice, Odd Einar Dørum wont comment on it at all.

Could not find any english article, so the norwegian will have to do:

www.vg.no...

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Did they break norwegian laws or did they just question him?

My Norwegian is bit rusty (closest language i speak is swedish and i'm not perfect at it either), so couldn't tell from the article...

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by northwolf
Did they break norwegian laws or did they just question him?

CIA dont have any juristiction in Norway, they must get an extradiction of the person in question or go through the usual channels (Interpol?)

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Can you translate the part of the article that says that the CIA is doing it illegally? That the norwegian government as a whole is opposed to it and can't stop it??

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
Can you translate the part of the article that says that the CIA is doing it illegally? That the norwegian government as a whole is opposed to it and can't stop it??

Silent About CIA Claims

Justice Minister Odd Einar Dørum declines request to answer alligations that the iranian Reza Mohajer was interrogated by the CIA in Norway.

Journalists TOM BAKKELI, KADAFI ZAMAN

SECRETIVE: Justice Minister Odd Einar Dørum declined yesterday to answer alligations that an iranian asylum applicatant has been interrogated in Norway by the CIA.

- "No comment" is all Dørum says.

Mohajer (42), that was a colonel in the iranian Revolusjons Gard, claims that he was contacted by the CIA and met with them in 2002 at two occations in Oslo. The CIA was given sensitive informaion abou the iranian army, claims Mohajer.

If the CIA has avoided the proper channels, as Mohajer claim, then it violated norwegian law. All allied intelligence agencies are required to comply with norwegian law.

...some stuff about the same thing happening in Italy....

Mohajer claim to have given the CIA names of terrorists, both iranian and other nationalities.

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I won´t be surprised if they have a secret deal which allows them to do this. Kind of like what the CIA can now do in Ireland.

Treaty Gives CIA Powers Over Irish Citizens

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 06:26 PM
link   
What evidence supports this man's claims that the interview took place?

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
What evidence supports this man's claims that the interview took place?

Nothing, really. Although it is puzzeling that no one in the norwegian justice ministry wants to comment the claims though, this usually means that they know something and dont want to go public with it.

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 07:53 AM
link   
This is one of the problems we face in the War on Terror. If we went through normal, diplomatic channels we would have never been able to interview him. The evidence needed for an extradition isn't light. If that kind of evidence even existed, we wouldn't want to just interview the guy. We'd want him arrested and I'm sure the Norwegian government would comply with such a request, supported by evidence.

It looks like all the CIA did was interview the guy. As far as I know, there have been no allegations of intimidation or abuse of any kind. Unfortunately, when we're dealing with terrorists we don't always have the luxury of being able to pin enough things on them. It's times like these that we rely heavily on allies, like Norway, to permit us to conduct an investigation and/or interview.

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 10:14 AM
link   
And questioning a man is not illegal, as far as i know.
Just as long a you don't force the person you're talking to, or violate his privacy by for example going to his property without asking first.
And CIA like any other intel-agency can operate where ever they want, but they're considered as civilians without any authority. right?

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by northwolf
And questioning a man is not illegal, as far as i know.

I dont really know much about international law, but according to the newspaper article the CIA had violated norwegian law by interviewing him in Norway.

[edit on 6-8-2005 by anorwegianguy1972]

new topics

top topics

join