It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Still Hope?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 05:31 AM
link   
I know this isn't exactly a Crypto post, but it's supposed to give supporters of/believers in Cryptozoolgy some hope. You'll see what I mean...

Is it really so hard to believe that some animals remain yet to be discovered, although there has been clues to their existence? Earlier this year the ivory-billed woodpecker was re-discovered after it was thought to be extinct.
Article on Woodpecker discovery
ATS Discussion

A couple of months ago a new plant species was discovered. The Bootlace Lily.
The Bootlace Lily
This plant can only be found in Kloof, just outside Durban, South Africa. A whole planet, and this plant can (and does) only exist in a couple of square miles (if it is that much...).

And let’s not leave the Coelacanth out of this…

Why is it so hard to believe that some animal (and plant) species remains hidden to the human race? You can go to the Congo, and search for days at end - without luck - for Midland gorillas, yet their existence won't be disputed. The same goes for the Knysna Forest Elephants in South Africa. Before the re-introduction of elephants and the opening of the Knysna Elephant Park, you could criss-cross the forest without finding a single elephant - and these creatures are HUGE! But no-one denied their exstence. Only in the late 90's was one of these mysterious elephants caught on video (Sorry, I couldn't find the video clip on the Net) ...

The point that I want to make is that Crypto-supporters/fans and believers of Bigfoot, Nessie, etc. shouldn't give up hope. Yes, evidence is scarce, even with all our technology, but who knows how many more undiscovered animals are running wild? And in the end, wouldn't it be spoiling our fun when they actually find real proof of Bigfoot? It's kinda fun to ponder on the blurry pics... "Hoax? But it looks so real!" ... We're all in this because of the mystery, aren't we? We don't really want to discover a new species, but we get a kick out of proving that it does exists...

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 01:07 PM
link   
New species being discovered is very possible in my mind. Many unknown plants probably exist in jungles. However with the destruction of the rainforests some may never be found. New animals on land is always possible. Its a big world, anything can be out there.

The undeniable thing is what lies in the ocean. Can you imagine what is on the bottom of the ocean in darkness right now? I'm sure there are many, many things there yet to be found.

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by cereal

The undeniable thing is what lies in the ocean. Can you imagine what is on the bottom of the ocean in darkness right now? I'm sure there are many, many things there yet to be found.

Several years ago I was visiting the Monterey Bay Aquarium (Monterey, California). The ocean gets quite deep very quickly offshore, so a lot of deep sea research is conducted there. While there, a grad student was delivering a lecture on his thesis. The surface waters are well explored. and the deep ocean bed has had a lot of attention, but very few researched the middle layer of oceans -- above the sea bed and below the depth light penetrates. This is a region that is totally dark and has no 'floor'. It is a true 3 dimensional ecosystem with no planar surface reference and because of currents and water movement there is no up or down. This grad student, using a submersible with video cameras, had discovered (he was part of a larger research team, so the credit is shared) entire new families of organisms, and possibly an new order (they were waiting for official recognition that it was a new order). No big nessies or anything like that, mostly single cell colonies, shrimp-like, and jellyfish-like creatures.

new topics

join