It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Chinese Government Evacuates Nearly 600,000 Ahead of Typhoon Matsa

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 04:53 AM
link   
A powerful typhoon approaching China has prompted authorities to evacuate some 590,000 people. The storm just missed Taiwan, but dumped nearly fifty inches of rain in passing. With Matsa's high winds and torrential rains, the damage to China could prove extensive.

quote.bloomberg.com
Chinese authorities in Zhejiang evacuated 590,000 people as the eastern province braced itself for the arrival of Typhoon Matsa, which may make landfall as early as tonight.

Matsa, with sustained winds of 162 kph (100 mph), was about 250 kilometers south-southeast of Wenling in Zhejiang and 520 kilometers away from Shanghai at 5 p.m. local, according to Shanghai's weather bureau. The typhoon is moving 15 kph north- northwest and may hit Zhejiang early Saturday. Wind gusts are as higher than 180 kph.

Last month, Typhoon Haitang left three people dead and 21 injured, causing $261 million of damage in Zhejiang and Fujian provinces, the official Xinhua news agency reported on July 21. In nearby Taiwan, Haitang left 12 people dead.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is a fairly large evacuation. I wonder where they're going to put all those people? Temporary shelters? Rural communities? I wonder...

They're expecting landfall perhaps by tonight, hopefully the damage will not be too bad, and people will be able to return to their homes, or what's left of them, in short order. Some areas are still reeling from Typhoon Haitang, which struck just weeks ago, in mid-July. Between 600,000 and 1 million people were evacuated ahead of Haitang, but this storm could prove to be much more devastating.

Any ideas why fewer people were evacuated this time? Could it be that there are fewer people left to evacuate? Perhaps some folks just decided they didn't want to live in the crosshairs anymore? I'm not sure, but that seems the most likely explanation.

[edit on 5-8-2005 by WyrdeOne]

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 05:22 AM
link   
So in the same region that it is suspected we have the bird flu, and some type of hemorrhagic pig-sickness they are going to move almost 600,000 people out of their homes and into some type of make-shift cramped quarters.

R
U
N

A
W
A
Y
!
!
!

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 06:22 AM
link   
F
A
S
T

the potential for the spread of disease has just increased umpteen times. I do hope the region is spared by both the typhoon and any outbreaks

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I hesitate to even say this, for fear it might be true...

What if they're not moving them, so much as making them disappear?

The numbers are what first gave me pause. A million got evacuated a few weeks ago, and now only slightly more than half that number...

Could it be that China has taken drastic steps to stop the spread of the disease?

I don't think it's the case, but I gotta admit, the thought has crossed my mind.

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 08:06 PM
link   
I understand your trepidation, so I'll provide you with a rational explanation.

I doubt China can create weather patterns that precise just yet.....

That said, I've been cherrypickin ATSNN stories due to time constraints.....how and why were a million evacuated recently?

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
I hesitate to even say this, for fear it might be true...

What if they're not moving them, so much as making them disappear?

The numbers are what first gave me pause. A million got evacuated a few weeks ago, and now only slightly more than half that number...

Could it be that China has taken drastic steps to stop the spread of the disease?

I don't think it's the case, but I gotta admit, the thought has crossed my mind.

I think your taking the conspiracy nature of this site a bit too seriousely ...

Honestly, when you see people writing this kind of stuff about the China, you further begin to understand why even the Chinese people that dispise the CCP, trust it more then people like you in the west.

Let me explain to you what i mean.

If the headings were, "Typoon hits China: People braces for impact".

You would say, "Why arn't those people evacuated???!!, must be because of the evil Communist government who wants to cover up the bird flu and thus leaving those villagers to die!!!"

If the headings were, "Typoon hits China: 1,000 dead".

You would say "Why arn't those people evacuated, evil CCP caused the deaths of 1000 people".

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 08:46 PM
link   

I think your taking the conspiracy nature of this site a bit too seriousely ...

Better to ask a question than to assume you know the answer.

Honestly, when you see people writing this kind of stuff about the China, you further begin to understand why even the Chinese people that dispise the CCP, trust it more then people like you in the west.

People like me, eh? I'm gonna let that go. The concept of mass killings for some imagined political, medical, or other benefit is not a new concept. The Chinese know a little something about the process, I think.

If the headline were to read New York, instead of Zheijang, I would have asked the same question, where did the other half million people go?

The bird flu angle provides a reasonable excuse for disappearing half a million people. I would be remiss if I didn't ask the question.

If the headings were, "Typoon hits China: People braces for impact".

You would say, "Why arn't those people evacuated???!!, must be because of the evil Communist government who wants to cover up the bird flu and thus leaving those villagers to die!!!"

You might be right about that. But remember, this is a conspiracy site, we engage in wild flights of fancy, if for no other reason than to keep the debunkers motivated. There's no harm in asking a question. Notice I haven't presented this possibility in my mind as fact. That would have been wrong, and I would totally understand your point. But all I did was offer up a theory, and if you care to debunk it with fact, instead of rhetoric, I'd me much obliged.

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Ok, i will provide proof.

Typhoon Haitang July 19 - BBC

More than 800,000 people have been evacuated from the provinces of Fujian and Zhejiang.

Typhoon Matsa August 8 - Chinadaily

More than 1.24 million people were evacuated to safety yesterday in East China's Zhejiang Province, as Typhoon Matsa is expected to batter the area after wreaking havoc in Taiwan.

I think that would throughly end speculation on the issues that you raised?

EDIT: Bloomberg also just updated their story.

Bloomberg

I think there was a misunderstanding about the term i used "people like you", i never meant you as an individual, i don't know you well enough to use that term in an individual fashion, i was making a general comment.

Cheers.

[edit on 5-8-2005 by rapier28]

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Indeed, thanks for posting those links.

There were so many conflicting sets of figures online, I couldn't figure out which were accurate.

I suppose all we can do is trust the most recent figures, no?

In any case, thanks again. Good information for people curious as to what's going on.

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Thanx

Like i said in the edit above, i hope they wasn't any misunderstanding about my first post, it wasn't meant to be offensive (although it seems i can come across quite badly even when i don't want to, so i've noticed
)

Keep up the good work.

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Well, now the number is at one million evacuated.

www.cnn.com...

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Valhall
Some news agencies are reporting 1 and a quarter million...

I guess the numbers keep rising as a result of steady evactuations. The numbers we're seeing may be best understood as 'evacuated so far.'

I don't think it's gonna go much higher than 1.25 though, since it wouldn't make much sense to evacuate during a typhoon.

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Yeah - that same article goes on to say 1.24 million...but they have the headline reading 1 million.

Since when is it okay to round down 240,000 people?

mainstream media sucks sometimes...wait, make that a lot of times.

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 09:49 PM
link   
[edit on 6-8-2005 by rapier28]

top topics

join