It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Footage of Dead U.S Soldier Investigated..

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Marine Corps. officials issued an emotionally worded response today as they investigate a video circulating of a Marine killed in action this week. Statements offered condolences, while neither confirming, or denying the authenticity of the video.

www.defenselink.mil
WASHINGTON, Aug. 3, 2005 – Marine Corps officials in Iraq issued an emotionally worded statement today as they investigate whether a body in a video and photographs circulating in the region are of a Marine killed in action this week.
The Combined Press Information Center in Baghdad released the statement on behalf of the 2nd Marine Expeditionary Force (Forward), which has lost 21 Marines to terrorist attacks in the last three days, including 14 who died in a roadside bomb explosion this morning

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Looks like insurgent operations are stepping up again. Could this possibly have something to do with Amnesty internationals statement condemning insurgent operations in Iraq?

The footage in question appears to be genuine, showing an unidentified group under surveillance whilst the cameramen are "chanting" Allah'u akbar. The video then goes on to show two men shelling an unidentified location with moratars, and then cuts to footage of an apparent dead U.S soldier. Afterwards the clip shows masked insurgents standing in front of numerous weapons (appearing to be U.S) spread out on a blanket.

Assuming the footage is genuine, I believe this corroborates stories earlier this week of a sniper expedition coming under attack. Is the insurgency stepping up again? Is this a pretense of things to come? With recent death toll, and video surfacing from Al Quedas "#2" man, it would appear so. To see actual footage under question see 1st link below.
(warning contains graphic images of death)

Related News Links:
www.informationclearinghouse.info
abcnews.go.com

[edit on 5-8-2005 by John bull 1]

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I find the posting of links to such a thing to be inappropriate. It may be out there for anyone to see but why make it so easily accessible.

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 09:25 PM
link   
ktla.trb.com...

Perhaps the young man should be able to rest in peace vs websites and news continuing to show such a tragedy.

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by anniejhops
I find the posting of links to such a thing to be inappropriate. It may be out there for anyone to see but why make it so easily accessible.

Your thoughts are appreciated. One question though. Seeing that this is not being covered by ANY mainstream media source, how can you say by me posting it here, that I am making it "widely accessible"?

I do not nec think it should be on the news at six, but I do not think it should be buried beneath a world of information either.

ktla.trb.com...

Perhaps the young man should be able to rest in peace vs websites and news continuing to show such a tragedy.

How can you say something is "continuing to show such a tragedy" when officials will not even confirm said report. This is not matter of replaying graphic material for shock value, this is merely showing what has happened.

I am not trying to advocate any kind of violence, nor am I trying to appeal to ANY morbid fascination. I am merely trying to report something I have come across that is not being covered by the mainstream media.

Thank you for your input though, much appreciated, & no offense meant.

[edit on 4-8-2005 by phoenixhasrisin]

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I understand the need for humans to digest all sorts of information. However, this website is a large one with a news service. To post the story is one thing, to post a link to the video is another. Most mainstream news would not show such a video using business sense and sensitivity as they sometimes do with emotional stories such as this.

I think the link should be removed by the site staff. If people are that morbidly curious, they will find it on their own. Websites that want to maintain certain levels of credibility and respect often censor graphfic information especially when they maintain a young membership base.

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Why don't we leave this issue to the admin of this board. There may very well be a need to put a warning in this about graphic content, or to entirely remove the link, but the removal of this it would be for that reason only (graphics), not because of some patriotic sense to preserve the dignity of the death of one side of a conflict.

ok?

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 09:41 PM
link   

I understand the need for humans to digest all sorts of information. However, this website is a large one with a news service. To post the story is one thing, to post a link to the video is another. Most mainstream news would not show such a video using business sense and sensitivity as they sometimes do with emotional stories such as this.

I think the link should be removed by the site staff. If people are that morbidly curious, they will find it on their own. Websites that want to maintain certain levels of credibility and respect often censor graphfic information especially when they maintain a young membership base.

Correct, however. perhaps we could agree on the need for the video with limited footage of the actual body. Would you still find that acceptable?

Like I said, I am not trying to satisfy ANY morbid fascination on anybody's behalf. I find all aspects of war sickening, and no side better than the other(in regards to violence)

Can I ask you then?

Do you think ALL of the video needs to be censored? Or do you think that selective editing could get across the same mesage whilst not offending?
Thank you again!
(thank you ATS staff for allowing this sensitive yet relevant topic to be discussed without sensationalism, or prejudice.)

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
Why don't we leave this issue to the admin of this board. There may very well be a need to put a warning in this about graphic content, or to entirely remove the link, but the removal of this it would be for that reason only (graphics), not because of some patriotic sense to preserve the dignity of the death of one side of a conflict.

ok?

I believe I was responding to the members question on my response. Patriotism has nothing to do with basic common sense in news reporting. How any news service treats various stories is how they are viewed as a viable source. Discussion is a part of the purpose of posting items on this site thus my responses were appropriate. Enough said.

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 09:43 PM
link   

I tried to be specific and state that there was graphic content contained within the links provided. I do not wish to spread horrifc images, just to spread the news. Thank you for your opinion in regards to the ATS acceptability, and subject matter being discussed.

I do not wish this to turn into an "Anti-American" rant, or any other form of nation bashing, or praise of the death of US forces! I am simply trying to bring attention to events of the past few days, as supported by video evidence, and US reactionary statements. Thank you once again to all who have been objective.

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 09:50 PM
link   
This is what the insurgents wants you to see. One would think phoenixhasrisin supports the insurgents, after all this is what they (insurgents) want you to do?...

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 09:53 PM
link   

I believe I was responding to the members question on my response. Patriotism has nothing to do with basic common sense in news reporting. How any news service treats various stories is how they are viewed as a viable source. Discussion is a part of the purpose of posting items on this site thus my responses were appropriate. Enough said.

And I believe I was telling you you're not in Kansas anymore Dorothy. If the admin of this board decide to either remove this thread, or administer a graphic content warning it will happen....else, you don't get to censor content here.

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Any link to graphic video of this fallen marine should be removed. Have some respect for this man, and the community in which he lived in. It appears you are one of those individuals which feel FREEDOM comes without personal cost. A soft soul who has never missed a meal or spent time hold a M-4 in your hand. Remove the links and respect the fallen. This could be your son, daughter, brother, sister, father, or mother...

You are no better than the enemy we fight...

AIRBORNE!!!

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Once again...if the admin decides this video should be removed, they will remove it. If they feel that there should be a graphic content warning administered to the original post, they will administer it. But it will be solely up to their discretion.

War is ugly on both sides.

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by XPhiles
This is what the insurgents wants you to see. One would think phoenixhasrisin supports the insurgents, after all this is what they (insurgents) want you to do?...

Come on! I have tried to be clear that I do not support war in any way shape or form! To suggest that I condone such actions, because I tell others about the specifics , is rediculous! I feel the same empty feeling whlist looking at a "fellow american" as I do at an Iraqi "insurgent". To me, people are people! The horror of looking at a lifeless corpse transcends all national identity.

Please look behind the "horror", hopefully you will find the ugly truth that lies behind the story.

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Valhall. I don't know you, you don't know me. I am not sure why you feel the need to be agressive in your responses. I simply responded to the post and then to the posters questions. I certainly have no authority here but as a member can post my opinion as can you. Your comments are not necessary. Feel free to u2u me.

As for the other comments from xphile I am not sure I would accuse any member of such a thing. I do think the poster was reporting news, not supporting the actions. I would agree that insurgents do want such things to be viewed in hopes that countries involved will quickly retreat. It is in my opinion just another form of terrorism aimed at peoples emotions. Fear can have a strong effect on public opinion and in this area, the insurgents would appear to be winning.

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Once again...if the admin decides this video should be removed, they will remove it. If they feel that there should be a graphic content warning administered to the original post, they will administer it. But it will be solely up to their discretion.
War is ugly on both sides.

Thank you Valhall. Once again, I am not advocating this, I am just trying to bring attention to it. Since the mainstream press does not want to, then someone has to.

I just want people to know. Unfortunately many are trying to keep this buried so that people will never find out.

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Valhall. I don't know you, you don't know me. I am not sure why you feel the need to be agressive in your responses. I simply responded to the post and then to the posters questions. I certainly have no authority here but as a member can post my opinion as can you. Your comments are not necessary. Feel free to u2u me.

I find it strange that you are accusing me of being aggressive in my request that members stop demanding censorship of other member's posts. It is highly ironical that I have the original poster of this thread on ignore, but have the objectivity and wherewithall to defend the member's right to post this article as a legitimate article (as long as the admin of this board deem it so) without any compunction to become "agressive".

You need to give free thought a try.

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 10:13 PM
link   

I find it strange that you are accusing me of being aggressive in my request that members stop demanding censorship of other member's posts. It is highly ironical that I have the original poster of this thread on ignore, but have the objectivity and wherewithall to defend the member's right to post this article as a legitimate article (as long as the admin of this board deem it so) without any compunction to become "agressive".

You need to give free thought a try.

Valhall. I know we have had our spats about things, but that does not mean you need to put me on ignore.

Whilst I have NEVER agreed with you, that has not stopped me from following your post'.
Despite our differences we might still have some common ground. Even if you disagree, thank you for speaking up about my story, it really means alot to me.

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 10:24 PM
link   
phoenixhasrisin I understand your stance on this, though it is a plain and simple fact, the people who did this video are gaining pleasure of the actions those who spread and populate it on the net.

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by XPhiles
phoenixhasrisin I understand your stance on this, though it is a plain and simple fact, the people who did this video are gaining pleasure of the actions those who spread and populate it on the net.

Yes sir, and this I can not deny. Is that any difference from the coalition forces that praise attacks on insurgent, and civillian targets.

None in mine eyes is more worthy than another. Let me state that again and again.

Thank you sir for your input,

top topics

<<   2 >>

join