It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scottish national anthem

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueLies
Which is why I don't think you should have one, this will just put a band aid over it.

???

Having a national athem helps people to be patriotic towards their country, you are already patriotic towards your country and it didn't take a song to do it. those un official songs speak of great history and struggles within your soil and because of those songs it should stir up emotion and want to make you continue the good fight to make scotland what it once was.
Then when you are where you want to be as a country then perhaps make an anthem to send a message along the lines of 'we did it' or we are where we want to be and will continue to fight for what we want for scotland.

But thats not what our songs are about, hell in the first verse of "O' Flower of scotland it says . "Those days are past now and in the past they must remain."

Tell me where does it say we would "carry on the good fight"?
But we are a country, we're a kingdom technically made up of 4 countries.

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by cargo
I like Scotland The Brave. As a half Scot with dual citizenship of the UK, I would make sure I voted for it if there is ever a vote.

The tune is better, but the words are really pants!

Me? I'd vote for "Pick Up The Pieces" by the Average White Band!

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 03:15 PM
link   
My post wasn't referring to the content of those songs...
You said you have to leave the past in the past but yet at the same time the song is about getting to where scotland once was before... I mean carry on the good to fight in an economical way to get scotland where it wants to be, not in the physical sense.

ie/
When will we see your like again
That fought and died for

The hills are bare now,
And autumn leaves lie thick and still
O'er land that is lost now,
Which those so dearly held
That stood against him

[edit on 23-9-2005 by TrueLies]

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 03:28 PM
link   

My post wasn't referring to the content of those songs...
You said you have to leave the past in the past but yet at the same time the song is about getting to where scotland once was before... I mean carry on the good to fight in an economical way to get scotland where it wants to be, not in the physical sense.

Yeah getting it back to a proud nation, I think thats quite a fitting national anthem..
Also carry on the good figh economicaly? You are not reffering to the north sea oil are you?

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
Yeah getting it back to a proud nation, I think thats quite a fitting national anthem..

First your going to have to think about what makes you proud?

No country can ever forget where they came from. Scotland is wonderful for many historic reasons. People will always make or break a country, america has the founding fathers that we hear so much about who made the constitution, and so they pride themselves on that and wave their flag proudly because it symbolises freedom.
Your flag is similar, you've fought more fights then they have, and you've won many fights. your history is a bitter sweet romance novel, you have many inventors in that country, many architectural designs came from there, everybody in north america who has scottish roots prides themselves on that and tries to see how far back they can go to find out about their scottish families. america and canada hold scottish festivals every year where they sell clan wear and plaques, foods, and hold highland games, and dancing, ect.
The scottish culture is very laid back and people here who have relatives over there love that about scotland.
I don't think scotland really needs to make an anthem because your more authentic the way you are, why be like everybody else who just makes an anthem to make one? you have two un official anthem of which both are very beautiful and meaningful, you can picture what they are talking about and that will always bring emotion to one's heart. Isn't that what you want? To be passionate about your country?

I buy books about scotland, i have one called a passion for scotland, another is about the celts, and a few others i can't think off the top of my head. Every country goes back into time to think about how they got to where they are today, so it's not a bad thing at all to bring up the past, perhaps the writer of that song was deeply disturbed by the past because he loved his country so much he just couldn't bare to think about things that happened. I don't know, just a thought. Your part of the uk now, it appears you've made peace with them which is a good thing, some people still want scotland to remain independant, others want it to be united. either way I don't see a problem it's what the people want, and by the looks of it, they wanted to unite with britan and ireland to make a kingdom and it seems to be working.

so instead of making just a scottish anthem why isn't there a uk anthem?
it was a modern decision perhaps it will take time.

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 05:42 PM
link   

First your going to have to think about what makes you proud?

No country can ever forget where they came from. Scotland is wonderful for many historic reasons. People will always make or break a country, america has the founding fathers that we hear so much about who made the constitution, and so they pride themselves on that and wave their flag proudly because it symbolises freedom.
Your flag is similar, you've fought more fights then they have, and you've won many fights. your history is a bitter sweet romance novel, you have many inventors in that country, many architectural designs came from there, everybody in north america who has scottish roots prides themselves on that and tries to see how far back they can go to find out about their scottish families. america and canada hold scottish festivals every year where they sell clan wear and plaques, foods, and hold highland games, and dancing, ect.
The scottish culture is very laid back and people here who have relatives over there love that about scotland.
I don't think scotland really needs to make an anthem because your more authentic the way you are, why be like everybody else who just makes an anthem to make one? you have two un official anthem of which both are very beautiful and meaningful, you can picture what they are talking about and that will always bring emotion to one's heart. Isn't that what you want? To be passionate about your country?

With respect I get what you mean, but frankly your missing the point IMO, no matter how hard we try and no matter how much we sing, they will both be UNofficial songs, sung simply as "songs" from scotland...We'd love them to be Official and frankly not sing the "god save the queen"...

I buy books about scotland, i have one called a passion for scotland, another is about the celts, and a few others i can't think off the top of my head. Every country goes back into time to think about how they got to where they are today, so it's not a bad thing at all to bring up the past, perhaps the writer of that song was deeply disturbed by the past because he loved his country so much he just couldn't bare to think about things that happened. I don't know, just a thought. Your part of the uk now, it appears you've made peace with them which is a good thing, some people still want scotland to remain independant, others want it to be united. either way I don't see a problem it's what the people want, and by the looks of it, they wanted to unite with britan and ireland to make a kingdom and it seems to be working.

Welll mate, the thing is...it was written by the corries in the 1970's and I believe he wanted to ask the thistle, what really scotland is like, when would we see the likes of it again. To see the likes of william wallace who had the bravery to stand against opressors, or Robert the Bruce who led scotland to freedom again, only to be betrayed several hundred years later by scottish nobles.
I still feel angry at the "act of union" our nobles signed and frankly, so did many people scotland and they still do today.
We have made peace with england (mostly) but frankly I get narked when epople call the UK england...

so instead of making just a scottish anthem why isn't there a uk anthem?
it was a modern decision perhaps it will take time.

Yeah that was put forward...the "latest" one is
racist and anti scottish so I dont like it , same with billy Connolly lol.

Oh BTW, thank you for a lovely post about my country....I would make one back but frankly it would be humble in comparasion....you have a very nice country though BTW, and nice beaches...

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
With respect I get what you mean, but frankly your missing the point IMO, no matter how hard we try and no matter how much we sing, they will both be UNofficial songs, sung simply as "songs" from scotland...We'd love them to be Official and frankly not sing the "god save the queen".

Oh, so god save the queen would be what the children in school sing in themorning? Is that the anthem for the uk? That seems to just benefit just england, I can understand your dismay. That would be like canada and mexico uniting with america and then them end up singing the star spangled banner.

Well mate, the thing is...it was written by the corries in the 1970's and I believe he wanted to ask the thistle, what really scotland is like,

Pardon my ignorance but what is 'the thistle?'

when would we see the likes of it again. To see the likes of william wallace who had the bravery to stand against opressors, or Robert the Bruce who led scotland to freedom again, only to be betrayed several hundred years later by scottish nobles.
I still feel angry at the "act of union" our nobles signed and frankly, so did many people scotland and they still do today.

so do most people want to be a seperate country from england, or do they want to be united with the kingdom but hold their own national anthem?

We have made peace with england (mostly) but frankly I get narked when epople call the UK england...

I've made that mistake before, but thats because I still regard scotland as it's own, it's a bad habit but i'm working on it.

Yeah that was put forward...the "latest" one is
racist and anti scottish so I dont like it , same with billy Connolly lol.

can you post the words so I can take a look?

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Oh, so god save the queen would be what the children in school sing in themorning?

Thats what some people are taught.

Is that the anthem for the uk?

That is the UK anthem.

That seems to just benefit just england, I can understand your dismay. That would be like canada and mexico uniting with america and then them end up singing the star spangled banner.

Thats why I dont like it.

Pardon my ignorance but what is 'the thistle?'

A weed that usualy comes from scotland and is quite difficult to destroy and is well resiliant.
That seemed to sum up scotland in our opinion.
Kind of like your american eagle..
www.southernskyphoto.com...

so do most people want to be a seperate country from england, or do they want to be united with the kingdom but hold their own national anthem?

Well thats the question we ask quite a lot, I like the idea of being united but frankly with us all being equal and not just having england as the boss.
I cant speak for all of scotland so I wont comment mate..

I've made that mistake before, but thats because I still regard scotland as it's own, it's a bad habit but i'm working on it.

Its ok mate, scotland isnt that "Well known" a country.

can you post the words so I can take a look?

ingeb.org...
There you go mate..

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join