It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scottish national anthem

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I am a scot, many of you may have noticed it..., and I recently watched a "The last word" tv program and a few interesting discussions came up. (They frequently do on this show!) They are on again on the 12th of august at 1030 on BBC btw...

One was a national anthem for scotland , who here feels that scotland needs a national anthem?

Oh and why?

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 07:14 PM
link   
THE SCOTTISH NATIONAL ANTHEM
FLOWER OF SCOTLAND

This anthem commemorates the battle of Bannockburn (1314) when the Scottish army under the leadership of Robert the Bruce defeated Edward II of England.

THE SCOTTISH NATIONAL ANTHEM

FLOWER OF SCOTLAND

O Flower of Scotland,
When will we see your like again
That fought and died for
Your wee bit hill and glen.
And stood against him,
Proud Edward's army,
And sent him homeward
Tae think again.

The hills are bare now,
And autumn leaves lie thick and still
O'er land that is lost now,
Which those so dearly held
That stood against him,
Proud Edward's army
And sent him homeward
Tae think again.

Those days are past now
And in the past they must remain
But we can still rise now
And be the nation again!
That stood against him
Proud Edward's army
And sent him homeward
Tae think again.

O Flower of Scotland,
When will we see your like again
That fought and died for
Your wee bit hill and glen.
And stood against him,
Proud Edward's army,
And sent him homeward
Tae think again

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Thing is masked its not really the "official" one since we have 2 "un-official" songs.
O' flower of scotland and scotland the brave.

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Can you post Scotland The Brave?

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
Can you post Scotland The Brave?

Ask and yea will recieve...

Hark, when the night is falling
Hear, hear the pipes are calling
Loudly and proudly calling
Down through the Glen.
There where the hills are sleeping
Now feel the blood a-leaping
High as the spirits
Of the old highland men.
Chorus:
Towering in gallant fame
Scotland my mountain hame
High may your proud standards
Gloriously wave!
Land of my high endeavor
Land of the shining river
Land of my heart forever
Scotland the brave!

High in the misty highlands
Out by the purple islands
Brave are the hearts that beat
Beneath Scottish skies
Wild are the winds to meet you
Staunch are the friends that greet you
Kind as the light that shines
From fair maiden's eyes.
Chorus

Far off in sunlit places
Sad are the Scottish faces
Yearning to feel the kiss
Of sweet Scottish rain.
Where tropic skies are beaming,
Love sets the heart a-dreaming,
Longing and dreaming
for the homeland again.

Chorus

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 01:15 AM
link   
I like Scotland The Brave. As a half Scot with dual citizenship of the UK, I would make sure I voted for it if there is ever a vote.

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by cargo
I like Scotland The Brave. As a half Scot with dual citizenship of the UK, I would make sure I voted for it if there is ever a vote.

I personally think its....well kinda bad...to put it lightly...

posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp

Originally posted by cargo

I personally think its....well kinda bad...to put it lightly...

Trust me, nothing is more mind numbing than the Australian national anthem. Anthems really have nothing to do with the words, IMO, but more to do with the tune.

On the other hand though, it is easier for me to say I like Scotland the Brave when I don't actually live there or have to sing it.

[edit on 13-8-2005 by cargo]

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 08:25 AM
link   
"Flower of Scotland" is the closest thing we have to an official anthem, and only because it has been adopted by football and rugby fans. Good lyrics in my opinion, but some find it embarassing that our anthem is so overtly anti-English...

A better official anthem would be Robert Burns' "A man's a man for aw that".

Scotland's lack of an "official" anthem is just symptomatic of our repressed nationhood.

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Actually its anti english...

Those days are past now,
And in the past
they must remain

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by CiderGood_HeadacheBad
"A better official anthem would be Robert Burns' "A man's a man for aw that".

- That IMO was one of the finer moments of the opening of the Scot's Parliament.

Watching the Queen having to sit and listen to that wonderful gem from Burns was a moment to treasure.

(there is a taste of the Scot in me too - I am even entitled to wear a kilt thanks to my family line)

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 11:30 AM
link   
As a Englishman..(stop with the boo's and hisses)..I see no problem with Scotland having a national anthem, in fact I think it madness that England doesn't have one to call its own, although we have a couple of patriotic anthems just like Scotland.

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by UK Wizard
As a Englishman..(stop with the boo's and hisses

- Don't be so defensive Wizard.

By the way, I'm someone born in England myself (but with direct family connections to Scotland and Ireland as well as continental Europe), I was wondering, don't you have significant family connections that take you beyond mere 'English'?

You're in a minority in England these days if you don't.

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 03:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by sminkeypinkey
- Don't be so defensive Wizard.

I was only joking

I was wondering, don't you have significant family connections that take you beyond mere 'English'?

Apparntly if you go back a few (4 or 5) generations on my mothers side of the family there is Irish blood, but don't worry I'm not some crazy uber-right wing nationalist that believes he's only got true English blood (the very concept isn't possible).

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I think Scotland The Brave is actually the official anthem, Flower of Scotland has been adopted as the "unofficial" anthem.

I've always liked Flower of Scotland, it seems to one of the better national anthems insofar as people enjoy singing it and many will sing it for any reason (well, if there's a drink involved)

Scotland the Brave, tune and lyric wise, is just a bit cheesy. I think that's why Flower of Scotland was adopted.

Originally posted by CiderGood_HeadacheBadbut some find it embarassing that our anthem is so overtly anti-English

Remember God Save the Queen was inherently anti-Scottish until the "Rebellious Scots to crush" verse was dropped.

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by kegs
I think Scotland The Brave is actually the official anthem, Flower of Scotland has been adopted as the "unofficial" anthem.

Take it from a scot, there is no offical anthem.

I've always liked Flower of Scotland, it seems to one of the better national anthems insofar as people enjoy singing it and many will sing it for any reason (well, if there's a drink involved)

Scotland the Brave, tune and lyric wise, is just a bit cheesy. I think that's why Flower of Scotland was adopted.

Na both where created in a diffrent time.

Remember God Save the Queen was inherently anti-Scottish until the "Rebellious Scots to crush" verse was dropped.

But remember its not anti english.
Its anti edwards at most, it specifically says that the days of us fighting them are in the past and must remain in the past.

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 10:05 PM
link   

By Devilwasp Take it from a scot, there is no offical anthem.

Umm, Devilwasp, I am Scottish. See that little 'location' bar at the side..?

By Devilwasp Na both where created in a diffrent time.

Really?

CiderGood_HeadacheBad
but some find it embarassing that our anthem is so overtly anti-English...

Next post:

By Devilwasp
Actually its anti english...

Umm, well yeah...

Next post:
By Me:

Originally posted by CiderGood_HeadacheBad but some find it embarassing that our anthem is so overtly anti-English

Your post:

But remember its not anti english.
Its anti edwards at most, it specifically says that the days of us fighting them are in the past and must remain in the past.

God Save The Queen?

I know what you're trying to say man, but correlate your thoughts better first.

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Devilwasp, I apologise for my last post. I'd had one too many beers before I came on the site. I don't mean to come across as such an arsehole. (I need to stop posting after the pub!)

Sorry for derailing a good thread.

Again, my apologies.

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Devilwasp, I apologise for my last post. I'd had one too many beers before I came on the site. I don't mean to come across as such an arsehole. (I need to stop posting after the pub!)

Sorry for derailing a good thread.

Again, my apologies.

Its ok.
We all do that, my posts as of late have been worse mate...

Umm, Devilwasp, I am Scottish. See that little 'location' bar at the side..?

And you didnt know we had no official anthem?

Really?

Yeah

Umm, well yeah...

Sorry mate screwed my post up....suffering from irn bru withdrawl symptons...need more bru...

God Save The Queen?

No "O'flower of scotland."
I'm sorry if my post doesnt "show" that but thats what I meant.

I know what you're trying to say man, but correlate your thoughts better first.

Thanks....

[edit on 26/02/2005 by devilwasp]

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by CiderGood_HeadacheBad
Scotland's lack of an "official" anthem is just symptomatic of our repressed nationhood.

Which is why I don't think you should have one, this will just put a band aid over it.

Having a national athem helps people to be patriotic towards their country, you are already patriotic towards your country and it didn't take a song to do it. those un official songs speak of great history and struggles within your soil and because of those songs it should stir up emotion and want to make you continue the good fight to make scotland what it once was.
Then when you are where you want to be as a country then perhaps make an anthem to send a message along the lines of 'we did it' or we are where we want to be and will continue to fight for what we want for scotland.

in the mean time those songs should be motivational in nature and allow yourselves to never forget the struggles of other oppressive countries infringing their ideology and laws on you.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join