It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

shuttle idea. Is this possible

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I suppose if they were going to jettison this belly liner from the craft before it prepares to re-enter instead of expecting it to naturally burn then it could be possible.

That way we would not have to worry about the friction on re-entry and could therefore use a lightweight but strong material.

This would then get rid of the weight to fuel and power scenario and it would also get rid of the friction on re-entry problem.

Super light weight and super strong guarding the tiles until it is jettisoned away minutes before re-entry. Either that or a new thermal protection system.

What do i know im just a ex military guy from U.K. who usually talks bout weapons and ufos and stuff.

Thinks it would be easier to develop my own shuttle

Idea is then scrapped

Since there are so many people who know what they are on about lets have all your ideas on a new space craft starting from scratch. You never know at the end of the discussion we may be able to offer our idea to NASA for a few million each

THE ATS SHUTTLE

Seriously though id like to hear your ideas on components, Parts etc etc

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 10:22 PM
link   
why not a carbon carbon sheilding

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 04:36 AM
link   
I thought about carbon as its stong but its also very lightweight. With it being so light would it handle take off

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 01:11 PM
link   
it takes the heat of renetry why not lift off. yes the speed is greater bbut it takes mach 8 coming in so what 10 going out.

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Here's an idea! Why doesn't NASA apply for the permit excluding it from the ban on the freon foam and use the good stuff? Once Clinton left office, the EPA relaxed that restriction on NASA but to my knowledge they haven't taken advantage of it. Also, the sealant putty used to secure the O-rings was changed because of anti-asbestos laws and the replacement stuff became brittle at lower temps..ie..the Challenger dissaster.

Use what it takes to do the job or don't do it. Simple as that. Stop killing people to appease a politically correct agenda.

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by astrocreep
Here's an idea! Why doesn't NASA apply for the permit excluding it from the ban on the freon foam and use the good stuff?

NASA is exempt from US enviromental laws, which means they can use it!

And as far as i know that is what they intend to do!

Mic

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by thesaint
This would then get rid of the weight to fuel and power scenario and it would also get rid of the friction on re-entry problem.

what weight to fuel and power scenario? the shuttle's weight on liftoff is produced somewhere around 98% by the fuel alone.

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by astrocreep
Here's an idea! Why doesn't NASA apply for the permit excluding it from the ban on the freon foam and use the good stuff? Once Clinton left office, the EPA

The shuttle is filled with all kinds of toxic and nasty checmicals. I'm not sure why they'd be worried about a bit of CFC's.

In terms of the "vacuum sealing shuttle idea". Besides the objections somebody else has correctly and kindly pointed out saving me the trouble of repeating most of it, thanks, how are you going to apply the coating? To me it would be easier to find a better adhesive to solve the foam problem.

Bottom line is that the shuttle is too complicated.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join