It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Make Your Own Air Conditioner.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Saw this and thought it was pretty kewl. For a mere 20 bucks you could make your own homemade a/c unit. And it works pretty damn good i might add. This kid is pretty smart.....lol

Clicky

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 04:25 PM
link   
that is perty neat. I would try it but I just dont have trhe need to. nice find though

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Looks pretty cool, probably better than just putting a block of ice in front of a fan.

Still, I'm glad I have my real A/C

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 06:19 PM
link   
cool, hehe
but out west we call those swamp coolers.
Pretty cheap to buy..Water is the heat exchanger.

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I stopped at the 3rd sentence...

You need a garbage full of 'ice water' do you know how much it costs to buy ice?

How many bags of ice would he use throughout the day?

My analysis is that it would be cheaper just ot get a freakin 65$ air conditioner...

go to the flea market or whatever...

Bags of ice gets expensive over time with that money you could save up to get an a/c....

The other cheap thing to do is just walk around your house naked...

Or avoid your home altogether until it's time for bed.

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 07:10 PM
link   
I'm personally very content with not putting any clothes on, and just having a fan pointed at me all day. Works just fine for me. Still, very cool find.

Pun SO intended.

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 07:40 PM
link   
How neat! In a pinch i'd make one,. Thanks!

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueLies
I stopped at the 3rd sentence...

You need a garbage full of 'ice water' do you know how much it costs to buy ice?

How many bags of ice would he use throughout the day?

My analysis is that it would be cheaper just ot get a freakin 65$ air conditioner...

go to the flea market or whatever...

Bags of ice gets expensive over time with that money you could save up to get an a/c....

And now a quote from his website:

I realize small air conditioners are quite cheap. But then you don't get to build anything!

Perhaps, it seems, that money isn't the first priority for everybody.

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by diehard_democrat
Perhaps, it seems, that money isn't the first priority for everybody.

Then he's a hypocrite because he said earlier on his first priority was building a cheap air conditioner because he didn't have the money for a regular one...
maybe not hypocrite per se more like conflicting points of personal interest and priority.

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueLies

Well, for starters, you don't have to use ice:

I've also hooked this up to a garden hose as the cold water feed. It doesn't cool quite as well as ice water, but allows me to not worry about tripping over a garbage can when I wake up in the morning.

Also, you don't have to buy bags of ice as long as you have a freezer. It'd be annoying to have to make 10-15 trays of ice every night, but that's normally the trade off for saving money--being lazy is expensive. I'd imagine the fan uses less electricity than even a small refridgerated A/C unit at least though, and even a cheap swamp cooler is still probably more expensive than putting this together if you already have the fan.

Super idea IMO
Great find, and I think I might try it sometime.

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by MCory1

Also, you don't have to buy bags of ice as long as you have a freezer. It'd be annoying to have to make 10-15 trays of ice every night, but that's normally the trade off for saving money--being lazy is expensive.

Interjecting your own personal opinion is just that... Your opinion...

My dad had an air conditioner... Does that make him lazy?? He had to work 8-10 hrs a day, to pay bills and debts off... Why should he spend all day tending to the ice bucket or water container to keep his house cool when he could let the machine do it for him so when he comes home from the hot stinky factory he could not worry about filling the the bucket with ice but rather come home to an enjoyable cool house? That makes you lazy?? hm.

Get a freaking air conditioner and spend your time doing other constructive things.

Btw, I never said it was a bad idea, but one should be able to ask questions about it without getting # on for doing it.

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Damn...lol.. some of you guys kill me ... you can turn a guys good idea for a cheap a/c unit into an argument for being lazy

Anyway... it is a good idea if you have the time and want to do it.

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by North Rider

Anyway... it is a good idea if you have the time and want to do it.

It sounds like fun to do, and I'll probably be working on something like that for myself sometime soon.

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Oh man ..i was all exited when i read this, came right away to read it, and only than i realized they are talking about "air conditioner"...not "hair conditioner" .... man ... heh !:shk:

new topics

top topics

join