It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dog Suicide Bridge in Scotland

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by pantha

Geeezus!

That's a Scary Bridge if you ask me.

[edit on 5/8/05 by Souljah]

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 06:34 AM
link   
yes that is definatly the bridge from this story, here is is from another angle

and heres a link to a story of a survivor of the bridge called Hendrix.

my dog lived to wag his tail

apparently this has been going on since at least 1954 . The bridge has now earnt itself the nickname 'rovers leap'

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 06:44 AM
link   
I have found a Previous ATS Thread about this topic:

Canine Suicides

The bridge, over a tributary of the Clyde, lies within the grounds of Overtoun House, an A-listed baronial building currently run as a Christian centre. It was the scene of a family tragedy in 1994 when Kevin Moy threw his two-week-old son to his death believing him to be the Antichrist.

www.timesonline.co.uk...

Weird Stuff Indeed....

Has anybody seen the movie Damien?

Kind of reminds me of that - altho Damien usually survived.

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Wait wait wait...did he throw the baby off the bridge?

Oh my - this is getting weirder and more interesting by the minute.

Maybe the dogs see the baby's spirit and want to help it!

Oh my.

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Dogs and Cats CAN see and hear stuff we people can't.

So my guess would be that this really has something to do with Ghosts or any other Paranormal event - since Dogs can sense the World that is beyond us, and obviously a Spirit of a Child is lost somewhere and bound to this bridge and under.

Maybe these Dogs DO try to save this poor kid - or they see the scene from 50 years ago, when Father is throwing the Child off the bridge, and they Jump to Catch and Save Him....

Truly Strange....

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah
To me this is the equivelant of walking your dog down the middle of a 4-lane highway in the middle of the night. You're pretty much just asking for it...

Well, come on now, its not quite the same.

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Smokersroom

To me this is the equivelant of walking your dog down the middle of a 4-lane highway in the middle of the night. You're pretty much just asking for it...

Wait a Minute!

I didn't Say that - Rasputin13 did.

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Now this is rather an odd event. Animals tend to have higher senses than humans in several areas thus I would tend to suspect there is something natural in that area causing the unusual behavior. Perhaps something electromagnetic.

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Smokersroom

Well, of course it isn't an exact comparison. There's not much out there to equate a dog jumping off of a bridge. What I'm trying to say is that for someone who knows that dogs have been jumping off that bridge for some unknown reason since 1954, and they choose to walk their dog across that bridge regardless, then they're just asking for something bad to happen. They are putting their pet into a situation that they know to be dangerous, where there is a strong likelyhood of their dog meeting its demise via 50ft+ fall. Now, maybe it's not the same as covering their dog with a gallon of monkey blood and throwing it into the lion cage at the Zoo, but it's not much smarter than that.

In fact, the local government should prohibit people from walking their dogs on this bridge. Those who do, should be ticketed. Repeat offenders should have their pets taken away. There's a million other places you can walk your dog. There's absolutely no reason why someone should walk their dog across that bridge when they're aware of the risks involved. It's cruelty to animals.

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Dogs can be very smart... and very stupid. My dog Caesar (boxer, golden lab mix) was smart as heck in almost every respect. But we had a full-wall mirror in our dining room, and from the day we got him to the day we had to give him away (a couple of years later) he barked at the dog in the mirror, then ran into the next room to go find the other dog.

The first thing I'd do is take some sound measuring equipment to the bridge. Anything high frequency which might be making the dogs want to get off the bridge?

Then I'd take a dog down to the area beneath the bridge. Does he find something he likes to chase there? The dog may not realize how high up he is, especially if the wall of the bridge is solid and cant be seen through. Maybe he thinks there is an animal he wants to eat just on the other side of that wall.

Last but not least, I'd open a bungee cord store in that town and make millions on bungee leashes.

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 09:29 AM
link   
this is freaky. That bridge definitely looks creepy, maybe this is really a paranormal event. very very strange.

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Creep bridge, story and house! But - if the baby was thrown over in 1994, what explained the behaviour of the dogs since 1954? 40 years before the baby something else must have happened. I could see the baby's ghost floating around tempting the doggies but what would have caused them to jump in the first place?

Must be something else going on.

[edit on 8-8-2005 by nikelbee]

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 09:46 AM
link   
It would be suicide for a dog to chase a car and yet they do.
As to the bridge and looking at the pics I'm of the opinion that there is a wind "whooshing" through there and it is sound related. If a study could be made on wind direction/velocity during occurance, I think this is the culprit... 60 feet is a lot of air... and wind does whistle.

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rasputin13

There's absolutely no reason why someone should walk their dog across that bridge when they're aware of the risks involved. It's cruelty to animals.

But it is such a lovely, lovely bridge.

Plus, I'm aure a few people will have said 'Ach its a load of bollocks' and taken their dog there to prove as much, only for fido to make a break for it and leap off into oblivion.

Anyway, why not just keep the mutt on a lead?

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 10:44 AM
link   
There is a simple explanation for what happened with the dogs...

The Culprit:

The action:

Had to do it

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Harmonics.
My idea is based on the following.

So why, she asks, have dogs been leaping off the bridge at rates reportedly as high as one per month during the past 20 or 30 years?

The bridge itself provides few clues. Built in the 1890s, the one-lane span arches over a leafy ravine and waterfall. Several semicircular alcoves jut outward from the walls at 20-foot intervals

Link

This bridge was built in the 1890's, but the reports of these 'canine suicide's' have only been reported over the last three decades? Perhaps this bridge has a harmonic frequency that does 'freak' dog's out and this has been happening since it was built. If someone's dog did commit 'suicide' 100 years ago, there would hardly be a mention of it.

Vibration is an important measure of how a structure moves. Vibration data may be measured from the structure using accelerometers. The picture below shows an accelerometer being mounted on the surface of a bridge.

Link.

Something is 'freaking' these dogs.
I live in a rural area, and gun shots happen every second day...farmers firing in the air to scare to birds away from their crops.

This totally freaks my dog out, and she hides in the laundry. But, we can have a thunderstorm let rip with 'blammo' thunder clap right over my home, and it does not worry her in the slightest.

Sanc'.

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 11:47 AM
link   
The house was built in 1863 by the father of Lord Overtoun, a self professed staunch Christian and owner of a large chemical works whose working practices betrayed a wholly unchristian side.

It was supposedly built as an ornate religious symbol and has the words "Fear God and keep His commandments" carved into the walls. Local historians apparently describe it as a place where angels and gargoyles are said to keep company. I can't find much on this aspect though, or the incident with Kevin Moy.

The house has been taken over by American evangelist Pastor Bob Hill and turned into the "Christian Centre for Hope and Healing" after lying empty for ten years.

I'd forgotten about this since posting in the old thread. Next time I'm near Dumbarton I'll have a look and ask around. CiderGood_HeadacheBad might know more though, he's in Glasgow.

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Timcouchfanclub
ROTFL
You are giving bikers a bad name... we only kick dogs that bite our chrome.

That harmonics idea could be on the money and I'd think it is wind generated. If there is anyone in a position to accumulate wind speed/direction data I think the solution would be found. ... but then again, "there are more things under heaven and earth Horatio"...

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Thanks for all the input folks!

I agree that the most likely explanation is some quirk in the aerodynamics/acoustics of this bridge that makes the wind make a highpitched noise that drives the dogs crazy...it'd be cool if some member who lives near the bridge could look into it more though.

posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 03:56 AM
link   
Altogh the wind might make sound there is another natural explanation everyone including dog owners seems to overlook. The dog's most important sense... their nose.

The area around the bridge is overgrown with trees and other plants. As dogs has for 50 years sensed something interesting on the other side of the bridge fence my first toghts are there might be flowers or other plants giving, for dogs, an interesting smell. The owner of the Hendrix dog said his dog reacted with curosity and wanted to investigate whatever it was. It was not suicidal... curosity killed the dog, as the saying goes...

Wind varies, while the plants remain steady for decades if left undisturbed by humans. So there is a plant in the area who have developed a taste for dogs
or at least it's able to lure them to their deaths.

I don't belive ghosts are responsible as the baby died in the 1990's.

Oh and there could be another interesting smell. Maybe deers or other animals frequent the area? That would sertanly be interesting for dogs to investigate!

[edit on 13-8-2005 by Ghaele]

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join