It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Surveillance of Internet Service Providers (ISP's)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Its common knowledge that surveillance of -specific-
internet users is done on a daily basis. Agencies
target an individuals activity and presence on the
internet. All information gathered, is utilized to best
serve the groups operational goals.
However, now a institution in India specializes in
targeting any internet providers traffic on internet.
[url=http://www.shoghi.co.in/isp_monitoring.htm]
This multifaceted company Shoghi (sure sounds like
a detachment from NSA to me) covers all aspects of
intercepting any communications of targeted
companies.
Is Shoghi a freelance company that is for hire
by a individual or goverment agency. Being based
out of India free from legal restraints of a U.S.
located outfit?
Operation Termite which Shoghi has developed
could be used for basically anything from industrial
to military espionage.
To see such a company based out of India which
develops, maintains, encourages employment &
operations for:
Electronic warfare
Communications Intelligence
Signal Intelligence
Sysetm Engineering & Development
Software Development
and just to mention agressively seeking customers
to employ them using their Operation Termite
for targeting ISP's for survellance.
With thousands of information age jobs being
moved into India and Indonesia. A private company
(Shoghi) is taking the pedestal of the national
security agency here in the U.S. For private hire ...

Attu Bosch
Alaska

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Well that would require a pipe into an ISP's network. This could not be done anywhere downstream as packets get routed all over the place. If you note, they tend to be involved in gov work so it makes sense i.e. a large corp could use this to keep a complete record of company communication and possibly filter in real time for suspicious leaks of trade secrets or in harassment cases. Many companies already do this....

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by UofCinLA
Well that would require a pipe into an ISP's network. This could not be done anywhere downstream as packets get routed all over the place. If you note, they tend to be involved in gov work so it makes sense i.e. a large corp could use this to keep a complete record of company communication and possibly filter in real time for suspicious leaks of trade secrets or in harassment cases. Many companies already do this....

The boxes the government use to monitor people IS plugged directly into All ISP's by federal law-google it, it is a matter of public record

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I do not know how much the internet is watched, or how much people are monitered, but i really do fear the day when every users starts to get restrictions and are legally spied on.

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Not all ISPs are monitered by the goverment, but just about every ISP out there keeps records indefinately of their users activites. I'm an intern right now at a medium sized ISP and we have records that go back to the very beginnings of the ISP for every single user, its not as complicated as you might think to do either ;D

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Dunno?, I feel all sites are monitored. And these days rightfully so I feel.

Dallas

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Yes, ISP's do have programs that monitor the web. It has been running for years.
It has undergone a few names such as TREX as well as Raptor. Google it and you will find references for it.
And yes,it is federal law that requires it.

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Its not even as fancy as some code-named program. All you really have to do to moniter properly is output all DNS queries to a log server. 99.999% of Internet users rely on DNS to make things work, becuase they are too lazy or dumb to type out IP addresses. Its just that simple, no tricks or gimmicks. That being said I dont agree with the monitering but we all have to come to grips with the fact that privacy of any sort is now and forever a thing of the past.

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 06:03 PM
link   
you are correct. Trex and Raptor actually capture the contents though not just the url calls.
Example would be the body of your email instead of just it's destination

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 01:45 PM
link   
i run an IP blocker on my comp that blocks from set lists made up by people, sites, etc. I can say i have blocked many connections from DoD, NSA, and other government entities. I doubt between that and a firewall, i can keep them out considering their resources, but it's nice to be able to see them as they try.

i also now get hit by pedowatch.org after looking at terrorist related sites. which just wierds me out.

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by ideophobia
i run an IP blocker on my comp

Care to share info on how to set it up?

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I know how many of you cringe when you see Rense, Alex Jones etc, but I thought this was a good article.

Globalists Seek To
Sanitize Internet
By Kentroversy
8-11-5

For the past four years since 9/11, I have been asked by many people in my own private life if I thought the Internet would be censored in some form. What has lead people to ask this question are the many truth-telling websites, which are popping up seemingly out of nowhere. Where they were once the brunt of derision, the websites of people like Alex Jones, Jeff Rense, and David Icke now receive millions of hits per month EACH. It seems that not as many people are mocking the truth these days. The category of patriotic truth-telling websites are now near the top of the offerings of the entire Internet, which I am very pleased to see and be a part.

rense.com...

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by alternateheaven
Not all ISPs are monitered by the goverment, but just about every ISP out there keeps records indefinately of their users activites. I'm an intern right now at a medium sized ISP and we have records that go back to the very beginnings of the ISP for every single user, its not as complicated as you might think to do either ;D

What kind of records? Can you please enlighten me - if I buy some kind of internet connection (e.g. DSL type) from your medium size ISP, what kind of activity do you log? This medium size ISP will sniff all of my traffic or just things like browsing on ATS? Your ISP has records about which IP address was assigned to you at given time thats normal. Of course when they want they're able to see everything what are you doing on internet, but this is done on individual basis and there are still ways how hide your activity on net (encryption -> proxy, etc.)

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by alternateheaven
All you really have to do to moniter properly is output all DNS queries to a log server. 99.999% of Internet users rely on DNS to make things work, becuase they are too lazy or dumb to type out IP addresses.

Dear mate,

what are you saying is pseudo arrogant crap.

Did you write 70.86.59.150 IP as a "www.abovetopsecret.com" to your local hosts table before you've written your reply? If u didn't you're probably lazy or dumb because you used DNS server to resolve that domain. So you're monitored. Your boss knows that you're browsing ATS!

Are your searching via 216.239.37.99... search engine? One cool thing.

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aelita

Originally posted by ideophobia
i run an IP blocker on my comp

Care to share info on how to set it up?

if you go to methlabs.org there is a program you can download named peerguardian. it loads IP lists from blocklists.org and blocks any of those IPs from accessing your computer. They have specific lists for gov't, education, media, and others. If you dont like peerguardian there is another one named Protowall which does the same thing. If you have any curiousity about who is accessing your computer on the net i highly reccommend it. Its also HIGHLY
reccomended if you use any peer-to-peer sharing programs(kazaa, morpheus, bitTorrent, etc.) that you get one of these programs or something like it, as it blocks intrusions from the RIAA, Universal, and other non-bootleg friendly people. Not that i do that or condone it in anyway.

top topics

join