It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US/UK want more nukes...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 07:34 AM
link   
www.monbiot.com...

Quote:

"In May, the US government launched a systematic assault on the agreement. The summit in New York was supposed to strengthen it, but the US, led by John Bolton – the under-secretary for arms control (someone had a good laugh over that one) – refused even to allow the other nations to draw up an agenda for discussion.(7) The talks, unsurprisingly, collapsed, and the treaty may now be all but dead. Needless to say, Bolton has been promoted: to the post of US ambassador to the United Nations. Yesterday Bush pushed his nomination through by means of a “recess appointment”: an undemocratic power which allows the president to override Congress when the members are on holiday."

Lol override when members are on holiday

Freedon and Democracy [TM] - You gotta love it... OR ELSE!

[edit on 4/8/2005 by Corinthas]

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 02:08 PM
link   
And you get your information from.... BLOGS!!!!

Blogs are technically not a reliable source to get information.

So this article is very unlikley to be true. Since this is nother nuke scare.

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by SuperTrashCan
And you get your information from.... BLOGS!!!!

Blogs are technically not a reliable source to get information.

So this article is very unlikley to be true. Since this is nother nuke scare.

George Monbiot seems to be a journalist for the Guardian, he's got his own column there at least. He's also written some books.
www.monbiot.com...

So it could be true.

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Recess nominations are nothing new, and surely not an abuse of power as you are implying. they have been around since the time of the founding fathers when recesses were longer, and it was important to be able to appoint a TEMPORARY replacement while they were gone. This appointment is not that big of a deal. he is only in this position until Jan. when the new term starts or until congress appoints him or another to that post upon returning.

Also this is not the first recess appointment made by Bush, he has made 106 appointments, Clinton made 140 recess appointments during his terms, and Reagon made 243 recess appointments during his terms.

as for the more Nukes stratagy, I think that if that was the case there would be more signs of it.

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 07:37 PM
link   
That quote is complete at utter BS, not even worth reading. Not to mention that Recess appointments are a power granted to the president ever since the Founding fathers set up our government. Now your going to call it undemocratic?

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 09:25 PM
link   
A, blogs are one of the best places to get news today. Not all of them are reliable and I don’t know about this one, but if you’re still watching TV for news, it’s all pretty much entertainews. Even the papers aren’t telling the whole story. Blogs are some of the last places to hear what’s really going on. They’re usually biased one way or the other, but they’re not afraid (yet) to put the real story out there.

B, Recess appointments, which certainly are a presidential power, were originally intended to appoint someone to a position when needed, should the Senate be in recess at the time. In this case, Bush waited until they went on recess to appoint Bolton because he knew he couldn’t get the votes. It was an underhanded use of the privilege, regardless of how many presidents in the past have done it. How Bush ab(used) this power IS undemocratic. It was not meant to be used as an end-run around the Senate to force a questionable character to a post.

C, At this point, knowing what I know, it’s easy for me to believe just about anything sinister about this administration. I’m not surprised and in fact, I believe it. They have given me NO reason to believe they have an ounce of integrity or my best interest in their field of vision. I haven’t always felt this way, but they have proven their character to me. It’s obvious to me what they want to do.

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
That quote is complete at utter BS, not even worth reading. Not to mention that Recess appointments are a power granted to the president ever since the Founding fathers set up our government. Now your going to call it undemocratic?

What defines democratic and undemocratic westy?
What defines right and wrong?

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 10:57 PM
link   
I cant define whats Undemocratic for you every one has their own definition, but the basic idea of what makes something un/democratic is rooted in all definition and you should know what that is.

Now what amuse me is that when this power has been used in the past its ok and it good unless, the person who get appointed with it is someone you don't personally like then it becomes undemocratic.

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 04:18 AM
link   

I cant define whats Undemocratic for you every one has their own definition, but the basic idea of what makes something un/democratic is rooted in all definition and you should know what that is.

Now what amuse me is that when this power has been used in the past its ok and it good unless, the person who get appointed with it is someone you don't personally like then it becomes undemocratic.

Ah well put westy....

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by SwearBear

George Monbiot seems to be a journalist for the Guardian, he's got his own column there at least. He's also written some books.
www.monbiot.com...

So it could be true.

Thanks for pointing that out.. you see there is such a thing as investigative journalism in the UK.

Why Americans like Greg Palast wont get work for any US media outlet.

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Yeah how about the whole setup of the US (yea right from its cursed founding instance) is UNDEMOCRATIC! YES!

It was, is and will be for the forseeable future a RIP OFF!

Exploitation of dinenfrachized immigrants, and maintianing a third world where the situation is so bad emigrating the the US is actually becomes a choice.

new topics

top topics

join