It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

15 year old hacker caused Blackout??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2003 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Psychic Weighs In on Electric Failure

Just hours after the electricity went out across the Northeast and parts of Canada last Thursday, Elizabeth Baron of elizabethbaron.com, a lady with some psychic insight, sent us her explanation of what had happened.

In contact with the "other side" Thursday evening, Baron reported: "No one will believe this but this is the work of a 15-year-old boy with the mind of a genius with the computer. He has studied so much about electricity and how it works across the country. As this happened, there was a stoppage when two men stopped that chain of reaction. If they had not intercepted, it would have gone all the way over to Oklahoma and all the way down to Florida. But this was not an act of terrorism but the act of a 15-year-old boy who did much of this without touching anything within a plant whatsoever."

www.newsmax.com...

Now, this is one predication I would believe. We sure can't trust some of these teenagers. He would be one dangerous individual. If this is true any computer hacker could probably do the same thing. Whats next opening bank vaults? Hey, now that one don't sound like a bad idea.

Isn't it odd that the computer virus is going around at almost the same time?

posted on Aug, 27 2003 @ 10:58 AM
link   
could a hacker do it, i dont think they could, all the powerplants would have to have external access surely...

but who knows, maybe they could...

i think it was more likely shut down on purpose for some reason...

posted on Aug, 27 2003 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I wouldn't put much faith in this psychic's ability. COuld this have been caused bya 15 year old by a computer? Probably, but I doubt that it was. The joint investigation being carried out by Canada and the US will reveal the "culprit" in the next couple of motnhs.

posted on Aug, 27 2003 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Stuff like that are on closed networks, not plublicly available on the Net. Why? To avoid stuff like that.

As someone who works in computers and networks, and who knows a bit more than the Casual Joe, I really doubt that this is what happenned. And then throw in the "medium" who was told by the "other side"?

YEAH RIGHT.

If the kid would have done that, we would have bragged so much (as much 15 years old would do) that he would have get caught.

posted on Aug, 27 2003 @ 11:09 AM
link   
The psychic hasn't done their homework:

N. Korea suspected of training hackers
Seoul
June 10 2003

Computers are rare and Internet access is almost non-existent for most people in North Korea. Yet the isolated country is suspected of training computer hackers for cyberterrorism, US and South Korean officials say.

www.smh.com.au...

As of July 14, 2003 according to US Embassy REPORT FOR CONGRESS entitled, "Critical Infrastructure: Control Systems and the Terrorist Threat":

Some experts warn of a cascade event, where a terrorist is able to manipulatecontrol systems and cause catastrophic failure within an infrastructure. Cascadeevents can be very damaging, causing widespread utility outages.

www.fas.org...

My theory continues to be that it was a North Korean hack.

posted on Aug, 27 2003 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by m0rbid
Stuff like that are on closed networks, not plublicly available on the Net. Why? To avoid stuff like that.

As someone who works in computers and networks, and who knows a bit more than the Casual Joe, I really doubt that this is what happenned. And then throw in the "medium" who was told by the "other side"?

YEAH RIGHT.

If the kid would have done that, we would have bragged so much (as much 15 years old would do) that he would have get caught.

exacally.. i would think it would be like trying to hack into a computer that has no internet access or lan access...

and you not aloud in the room where the pc is... now unless it has wireless networking, you aint getting in that computer it just aint possible surely...

posted on Aug, 27 2003 @ 11:14 AM
link   
if it was a 15 year old hacker, he must be one smart kid to do that

posted on Aug, 27 2003 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Yeah, and stuff that important and that critical won't be exploitable by wide-spread flaws like bad Wi-Fi architecture, or the latest Windows 2000 exploit that a 15 years old could use.

I know the US are stupid, but I don't think they'd let somethiing kind of remote-control allowed, and if so, they'd betta protect it HILGLY

If it's a hack, I'd suspect more some north korean hacker, and that is a whole CREW of hackers, not just ONE teenage hacker who hack from his parent's basement...

I think the US just wanted a reason to raise taxs to get new power grids.

[Edited on 27-8-2003 by m0rbid]

posted on Aug, 27 2003 @ 11:18 AM
link   
i would think to shut off 50 million peoples power would take a hidious amount of planning, which is why i think it was goverment orcastrated

posted on Aug, 27 2003 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I doubt it very much that a 15 year old kid hacked in the main frame of a plant. But it might be a possibility and if true then those plants that lead to the blackouts, then they need better security. Also about that pshyic, she might be a phony.
I can't wait for the canadians and our government make up some kinda lie for the cause of the black outs,lol.

posted on Aug, 27 2003 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Something almost exactly similar happenned a couple of years ago, covering almost the same touched area. Was not hack, just poor electrical equiement.

My area wasn't touched both of the time.
Quebec rulez, Ontario sucks.

new topics

top topics

join