It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question about Freemasons and Washington DC

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 06:19 PM
link   
I plan on doing my own research too but thought I'd ask here because there is a wide range of people posting and reading.

I ride the train to work and this older guy I ride with every day told me some things that are disturbing and have me curious. He wears a Masonic ring and says he's a Mason. I'm not a Mason so I wouldn't know. Anyway last winter he started wearing his ring turned a different way so I just mentioned his ring and asked him why he was wearing it different. He never really answered that but we started talking about Masonry. Sorry about all the background but here's what he said. He said that George Washington and most of the founding fathers were Freemasons and that the entire city of Washington, DC is designed around Masonic symbols. I already knew about the Mason stuff on money but didn't know the whole city was part of a secret societies symbols. He's going to bring me some books next week after he gets them. I don't see how Masons could be in the city layout since a black man was the builder of the capitol and blacks couldn't be Masons then. Are there any websites about this or can someone give examples of the masonic symbols? I looked through the index post but couldn't find this question. They can't be too secret if you can see them from an airplane!

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 06:57 PM
link   
actually he's right. the city was designed by masons, and there is masonic symbolism EVERYWHERE there...i'm moving there in 2 months, and have been looking into which lodge i want to transfer to when i move. but to get back on the subject, YES masonry has it's hand in MUCH of the configuration of the city as well as certain buildings. the reason he was wearing his ring backwards is probably because he just put it on and didnt realize it was backwards.

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Master Masons wear the square and compass facing towards them to remind them of the obligation they took... it has a lot to do with the position their hands were in when they took the Master Mason's oath.

As for masonic symbolism in DC, it's not THE WHOLE CITY. There are a lot of lodges and masonic buildings there, but the streets were not, like many say, designed to portray masonic symbolism. Otherwise, you could say that Paris was too, because the streets were laid out just like Paris'... and that city was built LONG before Freemasonry was probably around.

[edit on 3-8-2005 by sebatwerk]

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I heard before the Washington Monument obelisk is to do with Masonry but I have to look into the city planning for myself as well with everyones help.

The ring he never explains but always wears turned around now. He changes the subject every time. Basing it on your avatar if you look at your hand that is how it used to be but now if you look at the top of your hand he wears it turned upside down. He will not tell me why but he will not turn it around either. I saw a huge lodge building in Alexandria Va a few months ago but didn't have time to visit it.

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bornyo
The ring he never explains but always wears turned around now. He changes the subject every time. Basing it on your avatar if you look at your hand that is how it used to be but now if you look at the top of your hand he wears it turned upside down. He will not tell me why but he will not turn it around either. I saw a huge lodge building in Alexandria Va a few months ago but didn't have time to visit it.

I just told you why he wears it upside down... it has to do with the position his hands were in when he took an oath. I wear my ring the same way, as do most masons. He probably changes the subject because he is not comfortable discussing it with a non-mason. I wouldn't be either.

[edit on 3-8-2005 by sebatwerk]

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 09:28 PM
link   
5 is a "sacred" number to masons and the Washington Monument is built with bricks with the dimensions of 5. Also Washington was a mason.

Also, when christians say we were founded by christians they are lieing, it was founded by Freemasons.

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by James the Lesser
Also, when christians say we were founded by christians they are lieing, it was founded by Freemasons.

You mean "we" as in the United State of America? And just HOW are they lying? Wasn't the USA founded by Christians? Wahsington, Jefferson, Franklin, and the rest of the framers... last time I checked, they were mostly all Christian, but only a handful were masons. What's more, those handful of masons were mostly Christian.

By your use of the word "lying", I could say that it is YOU who is lying. No... you are misinformed.

[edit on 4-8-2005 by sebatwerk]

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by sebatwerk

Originally posted by James the Lesser

You mean "we" as in the United State of America? And just HOW are they lying? Wasn't the USA founded by Christians? Wahsington, Adams, Jefferson, Franklin, and the rest of the framers... last time I checked, they were ALL Christian, but only a handful were masons.

By your use of the word "lying", I will say that it is YOU who is lying.

I was always under the impresion that most of the framers were Diests or Gnostics.

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 07:22 AM
link   

You mean "we" as in the United State of America? And just HOW are they lying? Wasn't the USA founded by Christians? Wahsington, Jefferson, Franklin, and the rest of the framers... last time I checked, they were mostly all Christian, but only a handful were masons. What's more, those handful of masons were mostly Christian.

Actually, none of the above were Christians. Washington attended church a few times with his wife Martha (who was a Christian), but he himself remained a Deist. Franklin and Jefferson were both staunch Deists, and the so-called "Jefferson Bible" was considred the Deist Bible (which was simply the King James Version with all the parts about miracles and the supernatural edited out by Jefferson). Franklin wrote quite a few Deist pamphlets, and was closely associated with the French Deists, especially Voltaire (also a Mason).

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Masonic Light

Actually, none of the above were Christians. Washington attended church a few times with his wife Martha (who was a Christian), but he himself remained a Deist. Franklin and Jefferson were both staunch Deists, and the so-called "Jefferson Bible" was considred the Deist Bible (which was simply the King James Version with all the parts about miracles and the supernatural edited out by Jefferson). Franklin wrote quite a few Deist pamphlets, and was closely associated with the French Deists, especially Voltaire (also a Mason).

Sigh.. I don't know! I always thought MOST of the framers, as well as most of the colonies' citizens, were Christian.

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Masonic Light

So you're saying that Washington was Initiated and sworn in to the presidency on a Christian bible, but he wasn't Christian? Interesting indeed...

Sigh.. I don't know! I always thought MOST of the framers, as well as most of the colonies' citizens, were Christian.

Deism was also influential in late 18th-century America, where deistic views were held by Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Jefferson, and George Washington. The most vociferous American deists were Ethan Allen and Thomas Paine.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, to add to what James the Lesser said about the number 5 (and BTW, there are several sacred numbers), the Monument is also built to a height of 555 feet. I'll be dipped if i can remember exactly, but I think I remember reading that all the dimensions, the perimeter, height, width, everything was done intentionally with some kind of symbolism present. Considering who the Monument was built to honor, and considering who designed it, I wouldn't say it's much of a stretch.

[edit on 8/4/05 by The Axeman]

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Axeman
Also, if I'm not mistaken, to add to what James the Lesser said about the number 5 (and BTW, there are several sacred numbers), the Monument is also built to a height of 555 feet. I'll be dipped if i can remember exactly, but I think I remember reading that all the dimensions, the perimeter, height, width, everything was done intentionally with some kind of symbolism present. Considering who the Monument was built to honor, and considering who designed it, I wouldn't say it's much of a stretch.

The Washington Monument was originally designed to be an obelisk, with a round wall of columns around it, like this:

Some masons say that this was done to represent a point within a circle, which is probably the most powerful masonic symbolism that exists. The base of the obelisk is 50 feet by 50 feet and is 555 feet high. This is also said to be masonic symbolism.

[edit on 4-8-2005 by sebatwerk]

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 05:23 PM
link   
For anyone who has been riding the subway in Manhatten, New York, I've noticed that there is a lot of mosaic eyes on the walls of a few stations around the World Trade Centre (coincidence?). If memory serves correctly, they were at Fulton street and Brooklyn Brigde/City Hall.

The eye is a Freemason symbol isn't it?

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 05:24 PM
link   
For anyone who has been riding the subway in Manhatten, New York, I've noticed that there is a lot of mosaic eyes on the walls of a few stations around the World Trade Centre (coincidence?). If memory serves correctly, they were at Fulton street and Brooklyn Brigde/City Hall.

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by mashup

No, the all-seeing-eye has been a symbol of MANY organizations and groups, including Freemasonry. It is a symbol of an all-knowing God.

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I think that the eye is the Eye of Horus.

The Eye of Horus is an Ancient Egyptian symbol of protection and power.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Well thanks for all the responses. I've found a lot of stuff on the internet now. I think the whole city wasn't supposed to be Masonic but Sandusky, Ohio was. I also found where someone has a website that says DC is based on a pentagram so I'm going to wait for my friend to get the books.

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Here's the DC Pentagram you're talking about. I just rememberd that I had it on my computer still.

img228.imageshack.us...

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Axeman

So you're saying that Washington was Initiated and sworn in to the presidency on a Christian bible, but he wasn't Christian? Interesting indeed...

He was also sworn in as a Mason on the KJV, as were Franklin, Voltaire, and the other Masonic Deists.

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nventual
I think that the eye is the Eye of Horus.

The All Seeing Eye was used as the Eye of Horus by the ancient Egyptians, but even then it was not original, and had been used by previous cultures. Perhaps the earliest use of the Symbolic Eye was by the ancient inhabitants of India, where it evolved into the Eye of Shiva, and was then adopted by the Egyptians.

With the Hindus, the Eye of Shiva represents an esoteric principle, viz., the Sahasrara Chakra, or so-called "Third Eye". Devotees of the Shiva sect of Hinduism wear a red dot on the foreheads in representation of this.

[edit on 5-8-2005 by Masonic Light]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join