It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gitmo Captives Say Medical Personnel Approved, Participated in Abuses

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Guantanamo detainees detail abuses allegedly committed by nurses and doctors assisting interrogations, violating patient privacy and frightening some prisoners out of seeking medical care altogether.

Aug 3 - Saeed Sarim, a Yemeni detainee held by American captors at Guantánamo Bay, said that when a special squad of guards attacked him in 2003, one of the Guantánamo medical staff was in the room advising guards on how to beat him.

"He was regulating the process of the beating," Sarim said of the clinician, according to interviews conducted with detainees by the international law firm Allen & Overy. "This nurse who is regulating the beating process, he is the same person that was distributing medicine previously."

Another Yemeni detainee, Abdulaziz Al-Swidi, also told interviewers he observed nurses participating in beatings during interrogations at Guantánamo.

"The nurse participated with the riot squad by helping putting something in my nose to make me unable to breathe, and this is the same nurse that dispenses medicine and makes diagnoses," he said.

The Red Cross report, which was quoted in a Department of Defense memorandum and by a handful of news agencies that obtained it, called this "a flagrant violation of medical ethics." It said medical information was conveyed to interrogators both directly by medical staff and through the Behavioral Science Consultation Team (BSCT, or "biscuit"), a group of psychologists and psychiatrists assigned to work with interrogators.

The Red Cross, which did not return a request to comment for this story, reported at the time that "medical files are being used by interrogators to gain information in developing an interrogation plan," which is "a breach of confidentiality between physician and patient."

"I think it’s a flawed basis," said Leonard Rubenstein, executive director of the nonprofit Physicians for Human Rights."All the facts suggest there are things they didn’t look into. We know what kind of aggressive techniques are used there – humiliation, sleep deprivation, degradation. They didn’t ask what role [medical personnel] played in those techniques."

"From the point of view of the detainees, they don’t know what role the doctor [is assigned to at that time]," he said. "No one in their right mind would trust a doctor knowing doctors are involved in interrogations."

Source:
NewStandard News

So the List just goes on and on and on and on...

How many Violations of Human Rights have the Interrogators Broken?

There was a similar story from Abu-Gharib:

Where were the doctors at Abu Ghraib?

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Let me understand this correctly: The DETAINEE's report the medical staff participated in abuse against them?

You mean the very detainee's that have been caught shooting at people and causing general terror? The detainee's who have been taught to claim abuse if ever caught? Those detainee's?

I love it when you post threads quoting detainee's claims of abuse.

I challenge you to go to any prison in the world and ask the inmates how they are treated and if they are guilty. Go ahead. I would speculate the overwhelming vast majority would claim they are innocent and abused, but you are willing to base your whole belief system on their word.

That’s cute.

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 05:06 AM
link   
Well dear Skippster, I remember a Certain Country from the History that Also LIKED to use DOCTORS to Torture and Abuse People. See, after the World War II some BASIC HUMAN RIGHTS were Written Down on a Piece of Paper that is called the Geneva Convention. You know why?

- Medical Experiments of the Holocaust and Nazi Medicine

- Nazi Nightmares: Medical Killing

- Mad Science And Criminal Medicine

Hate to Inform you, but YOUR Country is just One Step Away from Titles like this.

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 05:43 AM
link   
After three plus years and only a handful of legit documented torture cases at Gitmo, anything coming out from the detainees there at Gitmo suggest one thing to me:

Lesson Eighteen: Prisons and Detention Centers

If an indictment is issued and the trial begins, the brother has to pay attention to the following:

1. At the beginning of the trial, once more the brothers must insist on proving that torture was inflicted on them by State Security [investigators] before the judge.

2. Complain [to the court] of mistreatment while in prison.

On Page 16: Al-Qaeda Training Manual
UK/BM-84 Translation

All by the book....

seekerof

[edit on 4-8-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 07:42 AM
link   
It is pretty self-evident to which manual I refer to/reference, Souljah.
CIA has nothing to do with what has been happening at Gitmo, etc.
Most of your allegations are referencing soldiers, not CIA operative and techniques.

If you want to discuss CIA techniques and methods of interrogation then do so, but those manuals, in regards to Gitmo or elsewhere, have no merit.

seekerof

[edit on 4-8-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 08:35 AM
link   
WELL,

Didn't the CIA Found the original Al-Qaeda?

Weren't they Guerrillas there were Formed on Basis of CIA Guerrilla and Psy OPs Manuals?

Didn't dear ol' Osama use the Knowledge that was given to him by the CIA to "Expand" his Network on the same principles?

Not to mention that CIA was Responsible for Massacres with Occured in South America during the 80's.

Isn't it just TOO OBVIOUS where did these guys get their Ideas for such Manuals?

Or is it JUST Me?

cjf

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah
- Medical Experiments of the Holocaust and Nazi Medicine

- Nazi Nightmares: Medical Killing

- Mad Science And Criminal Medicine

Hate to Inform you, but YOUR Country is just One Step Away from Titles like this.

No step, that would be quite a large leap.

To the topic of the post:

These accusations probably will continue even if there are established independent panels to oversee activities. The ‘Physicians for Human Rights’ are pushing extremely hard for such an oversight board and group of third party observers to address this issue directly.

Dealing with no more than allegations, the US organized medical community is greatly alarmed by these accusations and now are requesting direct involvement in an effort to establish proper ethical standing and investigate allegations involving breeches of law, ethics and morals as pertaining to medical personnel in the afore mentioned ‘involvement’. I have little doubt culprits will be rooted-out if ‘they’ truly exist even if near the level of extreme allegations as portrayed by the accusers.

“It's precisely because of my devotion to country, respect for our military and commitment to the ethics of the medical profession that I speak out against systematic, government-sanctioned torture and excessive abuse of prisoners during our war on terrorism."

Burton J. Lee III, Physician to the President for George Herbert Walker Bush, PHR board member, and signatory to the Call

join