It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the masons and the pine cone

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Hello Neighbor,
I am a Mason from NE PA (Near the forks of the Delaware).
I dont recall ever hearing any discussions about pine cones...could you be mistaking it for something else?

If you are sure, I can look it up.

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Axeman
Here's a thought about the pine cone: not only could the pine cone be a referance to the Golden Ratio, but it could also be a symbol of eternity. I mean it does come from an evergreen tree after all. Kind of like saying "everything needed to grow a mighty Oak is found in an acorn." Perhaps it is a symbol representing the potential of Man?

It doesn't matter what the pine cone COULD stand for, the fact of the matter is that I cannot find ANY reference to a pine cone being, or having been, a masonic symbol. I think that this user is probably mistaking it for something else, or it is just a design that LOOKS like a pine cone.

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I'll take your word for it; pure speculation on my part.

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 12:52 PM
link   
next time i have my camera with me and im close to the center ill take some pictures, i have some now actually but they came out very bad but lemme know they may be detailed enough to know what they actually are but im still convinced its a pine cone lol. if youd like to see send an e-mail to [email protected] thanks again

lol yes fear the almighty pine cone it comes to destory us all and stuff lol!!!

i try not to look at the world through polarity as much as through love and understanding nor do i judge things before ive heard from both sides. the only thing we have to fear is the emotion itself, and in all reality you choose your emotions and if you cannot then your still stuck within the ultimate prison, your own mind. but yes ill get the pics as soon as i can and thanx again

[edit on 5-8-2005 by Annacryst]

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 05:42 PM
link   
This is from Mackey's Encyclpedia of Fremasonry circa 1925

" The tops or points of the rods of deacons are often surmounted with pincones, as an imitation of the Thyrsus, or sacred staff of Bacchus"

That is as far as it goes, there is some explanations of the latin root, but no real explanation.

Easy answer....Old school symbol for the Deacons.

If you can come up with Bacchus, I'd like to know.

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 05:42 PM
link   

" The tops or points of the rods of deacons are often surmounted with pinecones, as an imitation of the Thyrsus, or sacred staff of Bacchus"

That is as far as it goes, there is some explanations of the latin root, but no real explanation.

If you can come up with Bacchus, I'd like to know.

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Bacchus is the Roman god of Wine. AKA Dionysus

[edit on 7-8-2005 by wiggy]

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stoic 1

" The tops or points of the rods of deacons are often surmounted with pinecones, as an imitation of the Thyrsus, or sacred staff of Bacchus"

I've never seen such a thing, I wonder if any other masons here have. Either way, just because their rods were adorned with them does NOT mean that it is a SYMBOL of the office of Jr or Sr Deacon. Those symbols have been traditionally defined as the sun and moon within the Square and Compass or, in some jurisdictions, as doves (I think).

Keep in mind also that Mackey wrote the Encyclopedia in the early to mid 1800s and a lot of what is contained therein is no longer relevant to modern Freemasonry. In any case, even if the deacon's rods were adorned with such things, I doubt they would be put on the ceiling of the main hall of a masonic temple. Whatever symbol it is would have to be something more prominent and relevant to the Craft as a whole.

[edit on 7-8-2005 by sebatwerk]

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 06:02 PM
link   
These are not deacons of a Masonic Lodge, but deacons of Dionysiac Mysteries, anceint greek festivals for women.

www.perseus.tufts.edu...

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Keep in mind also that Mackey wrote the Encyclopedia in the early to mid 1800s and a lot of what is contained therein is no longer relevant to modern Freemasonry. In any case, even if the deacon's rods were adorned with such things, I doubt they would be put on the ceiling of the main hall of a masonic temple. Whatever symbol it is would have to be something more prominent and relevant to the Craft as a whole.

I agree, I could not find it any place but Mackey. I could not find a thing in the books that have been written post depression.

I have been to a few of the Pocono Lodges and do not recall seeing it at all.

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Annacryst, I don't have the foggiest what your 'Pinecones' might be, but I'm interestd in finding out if any of the locals that use the facility can answer your questions about them.

Axeman, that is an AWESOME Room. Man, I would like to spend some time checking that out. That is really Beautiful.

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by sharkman
Axeman, that is an AWESOME Room. Man, I would like to spend some time checking that out. That is really Beautiful.

Dude, you should take the online tour. Well worth the hour or so it takes.

Definitely on my list of places to visit when I get the chance.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Of course, this couldn't be true...

But the pine cone symbolizes the pineal gland in the human brain. It is one of the symbols hidden in front of our faces, that is actually at the center of the "esoteric knowledge" we all believe the masons keep from us at our our peril.

If you truely wish to know, research everything you can about the pineal gland. But be sure to leave your prejudice at the door.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Ever wonder why the pope has a pine cone on his staff...or better yet why there is a HUGE pine cone at the Vatican?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join