It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Space Shuttle Stage Show........

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Does anyone get the feeling NASA is attempting to dramatize this latest Space Shuttle launch/mission in order to convince the American public that they need additional funding for a new space vehicle? Every time I turn around CNN is showing live video directly from NASA and or the crew of the shuttle scrutinizing the mission and equipment with all the dramatics of a Hollywood movie.

The latest one is the live feed from a helmet camera of an astronaut removing some “gap fillers” from between a few ceramic tiles on the bottom of the shuttle. During the launch they also had an external camera that caught some insulating material falling from the external tank.

I realize this is an important launch/mission considering the tragic explosion and damage caused to the shuttle during liftoff but I get this feeling that they have alternative motives here.

I don’t know it just seems overly dramatic and blown out of proportion. Maybe this NASA coverage is supposed to be covering up some other news in the world. You know as a distraction from the real story. Maybe they want more R&D money. Maybe they want to build an entirely new space vehicle and they know the American public won’t want to fund it without this drama and worry. IMO something is going on.......

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I agree KL

I watched the cnn coverage of the extraction of the gap filler and it was so contrived, dramatized and hyped it soon became a lame exercise in cheerleading. NASA is so desperate for anykind of success they will hype
anything to try and keep their funding. What is the scientific reason for this launch?

I also agree the motive of the shuttle dramatization looks bogus. IMO the mainstream media will broadcast trivia and fluff to keep the focus away from THE WAR.

I find it astonishing that the conservatives bash the liberal media when its obvious to anyone with even a little awareness; the media is controled by the powers that be and it's their propaganda machine. Free press my ....

It's a brave new world!

[edit on 3-8-2005 by whaaa]

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I just saw on CNN that they have some thermal blanket under the cockpit window sticking out. They say the astronauts may need to do another spacewalk to cut a portion of it off. I’m sure we will have a live broadcast of the repair when it happens. NASA wants us to say “omg we need to update or replace the shuttle” look at all these problems we are having with the shuttle not to mention the lives at risk using such an outdated vehicle. The show continues......

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 02:18 PM
link   
But what else should they do.
They can't show everybody that the shuttle is a magnificant piece of hardware. Its a terrible machine, which never should have been build because its so unsafe.
The more they show the flaws of the current launch system the faster they'll get the funds to design a new one. Here are the proposals for the next launcher: www.spaceref.com... a very good read

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I hear what you are saying bud......but......I don’t like the way they are manipulating the public. If they need a new system they should simply request funds from congress. I hate feeling like I’m being manipulated.

Why would they put on a show?......because they probably think the American public wouldn’t want to spend a few billion dollars on a new vehicle without a big drama parade considering the financial condition of the Unites States. If the public doesn’t support the expenditure right now “they” shouldn’t try to manipulate everyone so they can get their money regardless of how the tax paying public wants their money spent. It’s sleazy in my opinion but I guess it’s “par for the course” these days.

Thanks for posting that link......I’ll take a look.

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I have a lot of faith in NASA, so this is really killing me. They're the first to admit they need to move past the shuttle, and would if it weren't for the ISS. I don't think most people, especially those in government, know much about NASA, or know anything worthwhile if they do.

I do think it's a ploy to get more funding.. But, it's a good thing people are watching. They're trying to get people interested in NASA, to get them caring, and what's wrong with that? People have gone right off NASA, and if it takes stunning pictures of people doing EVAs and more talks with the astronauts, like before, then so be it. It's no different than offering money for college to get people to sign up for the military.

Speaking of stunning pictures, that is an amazing one, kl. I really like it.

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 04:13 PM
link   
so cnn should ignore a spacewalk that is being done by an astronaut to potentially save his own life, the crews life, and probably the entire shuttle program ???
spectacular images and riveting drama make for bad internet news material I guess

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Again......I believe that it’s a scripted drama being played out for the purpose of gaining billions of dollars to forward NASA’s shuttle program. This is “Grade A” manipulation of the American people.

They do it well don’t they?

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Well, yeah, but that's how you make money - you convince the people with money that you deserve to get more. Working for a promotion, fighting a war, having a crappy shuttle, it's just trying to get money. It'd be stupid for NASA to pass up a chance like a crucial EVA to get some airtime. They've gotten precious little in the past few years. It's encuraging to some to see that something can be done about the dangers.

In short, I don't think it's a big plot to win over the heart of America. I see it as the natural progression of the current state of affairs.

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amorymeltzer
Well, yeah, but that's how you make money - you convince the people with money that you deserve to get more.

You work as a server technician for a large company and you want to prove to your bosses that your department is understaffed and that you deserve a raise in pay. You crash the servers by uploading a virus so that you can convince the “money man” that the reason the servers crashed is because of a lack of funding and manpower. You swoop in later that day and get the servers back online thereby proving your worth and highlighting the “fact” that your department needs additional funding.

It’s the same thing with NASA. They planned this entire mission with all its problems to manipulate the people that can grant additional funding. They throw live feeds to every major news organization and air their new helmet cam and external tank camera footage to show the dire state of the shuttle.

This is the type of manipulation I’m talking about.

We are talking about completely different scenarios. You think NASA is capitalizing on some unplanned problems with the mission. I think NASA planned all the little problems in an attempt to manipulate the American public into supporting the funding they want.

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Great find, Zion

Hard to believe that NASA would stay with a side-mounted configuration just to save some launch infrastructure costs, but I wouldn't put it past them. The stick is probably what they are going to fly.

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
I think NASA planned all the little problems in an attempt to manipulate the American public into supporting the funding they want.

I see. Well, I suppose that is a possibility, however, to risk that much money, and all those human lives is atrocious, and in my opinion something NASA would not do. A proper scientist does not sabotage their own work, although I do (finally) see where you're coming from, and yes it is possible. We've no way of knowing, though.

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 09:08 PM
link   
If NASA is only doing this to get publicity and more money, it won't work.
The public is fickle. They'll be off to the races with a new story tomorrow.
The public thinks this is just another *yawn* NASA flight.
The public is unaware of what NASA has done to better the lives of everday people. That's the story NASA should be broadcsting.

Not everyone feels this way, I'm sure. But a lot of people, too many people.

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 09:51 PM
link   
While taking a break, I noticed someone else thinking along your lines, kinglizard, on a livejournal community, just very briefly.

Space Exploration

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Here is something to consider:

Would you send your kid to the store in a car that you know has a brake problem? Yet NASA knows the shuttle is obselete, is replete with design flaws and should have been scraped years ago. Still they send up people up. What science is being explored this trip. I know they are going to pick up the ISS trash and bring it back. Sure the astronaunts made the decision to fly and I guess they thought the risk was worth it.

Donttread is correct when he surmised the public dosen't really care about another shuttle launch. But the American public dosen't really care about much of anything except how am I going to make it until I get paid next week. They want entertainment like WWF, NASCAR, Reality TV, NFL etc. We here on ATS are a small minority. Most people are to tired after work to think, write and type. We are fortunate indeed!

When a shuttle misson heads south and becomes a tragedy and people are killed; then it becomes entertainment and the news orgs can get some rateings out of it. Science is boreing but death and firey explosions get noticed.

I pray for the safe return of the brave men and women that are trying to further mans journey to the stars but the NASA big wigs should be prosecuted the same as the guy that sent his kid out knowingly in an unsafe vehicle. What was the damn rush anyway? Sorry about the rant!

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 11:46 PM
link   
I too have this feeling, and I have said it in other threads.

But I guess we will never know the full truth, that is unless there is another disaster....

I hope there wont be.

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Hi Everyone,
I joined the group just today, and I was reading some of the postings concerning the Shuttle Mission, and some were casting doubt on the "legitimacy" of the Mission, and even the Space Program itself.

I must say, that if this mission is a failure and the "Shuttlenauts" are killed, we can kiss goodby to our Space program for a long, long time.

As some of you may remember, the Space Race was started October, 1957 when the Soviets put up Sputnik. That was the " Official " start of the Space race, which some say we " Won " when on July 1969 we landed men on the Moon.

It was an extremely emotional moment for anyone old enough to remember it. I had tears along with half the World, celebrating man's achievement..

Some today still insist that it was faked, just like in the movie, " Capricorn One", which concerned the Mars manned voyage.

I believe it is Mankind's future...space exploration, that is....

I know that there are naysayers everywhere would like to see the Space program scuttled, and that the big bucks we use to sent men into Space would be better spent on Earth for poverty programs, etc.....

I say, Baloney....the money has to be generated...it doesn't exist until Congress authorizes it...

I have witnessed 2 Shuttle launches, and wish every American could see one " In the Flesh " as it were...I think a lot of people would maybe see the program in a new light, that is Space Exploration is worth it.

If you don't believe me, just try and count all the electronic devices and non stick Teflon, etc...etc...ALL as a direct result of the Space Program..

I admit to the possible Histrionics that NASA may be pulling, but never forget they are selling us an idea as well as a product..

I could ramble on about the Space Program and it's costs, and I sincerely hope our Government can see fit to fund the programs adequately, otherwise we will have another catastrophe on our hands, and no one would ever wish that...

Dave

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 07:33 AM
link   
well KL, what should NASA do in your estiamation ?

its easy to say they are putting on a show for the dough.

exacty how should it be different ? They should blow off the space walk and cross their fingers ?

they should ban CNN from coverage ?

They should use stock photos instead of live shots ???

since you're the expert, please enlighten us with how it should be done

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by syrinx high priest
since you're the expert, please enlighten us with how it should be done

lol I think you are you becoming angry and a bit aggressive. Please relax friend I'm only expressing my thoughts on NASA's agenda and the recent mission. You don't need to agree with anything.

However the answer to your question already posted in this thread.

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 10:40 AM
link   
My opinion is that this is not an offensive ploy to show need for funding so much as it is a defensive ploy to show people they really are trying to cover all bases to prevent disaster. the reason we are getting video? Well thats easy. We get video because we own and fund NASA and they know it. Anything NASA learns or uncovers is the property of the people of the United States of America.

We're privy to the mission because the technology is avaliable to get it to us and we pay the bills. We have the ability to elect officials who will either cut or increase funding depending on performance. Thats the bottom line.

On another note, for a long time I have criticized NASA and called for the privatization of space exploration ...that is until recently when I learned of some of the intentions of the private sector concerning space. I won't list them because I'm not trying to change anyone's opinion and I'm not saying mine is totally changed, just that there is call for concern in that ideology.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join