It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China deploys its latest fighter-bomber - The JH-7A Flying Leopard

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Here take a look at this Jane's report. (Credits to Deino for the image
)

CLICK HERE TO READ THE ARTICLE

Here's a look at the fighter-bomber :

Crew: Two (1 pilot and 1 weapon operator)
Wingspan: 12.8 m
Length: 21.00 m
Height: 6.22 m
Maximum take-off weight: 27,500 kg
Internal fuel: 6,540 kg
Drop tanks: One 1,000 kg + two 600 kg; or three 1,000 kg
Maximum speed: Mach 1.69 (at 11,000 m)
Service ceiling: 16,000 m
Range: Ferry range 3,650 km, combat radius 1,650 km

Engine : WoShan-9 (WS-9), the Chinese copy of the Rolls Royce Spey Mk 202.

WEAPONS :
> 23 mm Type 23-III (a copy of the Gryazev-Shipunov GSh-23L) cannon
> PL-5 close-range IR-guided air-to-air missile
> YJ-8 (chinese copy of the Exocet ?)
> YJ-91 (Chinese copy of the Kh-31P)
> Unguided rockets

for more ...

I suppose Taiwan will now be alarmed....as this new platform gives China a great ground strike capability.

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Isnt the J 7 an upgraded Mig 21?

is it me is that plane missing its right Airleron?

Why would it make Taiwan worried Im sure its nothing that one of worlds most sophisticated Air Defense Networks couldnt handle.

Cheers

Debaser

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Nice, it looks a bit like the "Gripen" and the "Viggen"...
Thanks for the information...

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 10:24 AM
link   

and HOW can it look like this??

there BOTH delta`s!!

[edit on 3-8-2005 by Harlequin]

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Debaser
Isnt the J 7 an upgraded Mig 21?

The J-7 is an illegal copy of the Mig-21 that was made by China by reverse engnieering it.

The JH-7A is is in no way related to the J-7 despite the similar nomenclature....and is a totally different aircraft with a totally different role...its very new and its first flight was only in 2001.

China obtained a few Mig-23's from Egypt and used some of the design details in the J-8B and this airplane is possibly developed from that...although there is no clear cut evidence about its origins.

It looks a bit like a morphed Tornado and Jaguar ..... and that ironical because its engine is a chinese copy of a Rolls Royce Spey Mk 202....so the British connection cannot be dismissed as well...but again there is no clear evidence hinting at that as well.

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 11:43 AM
link   

it does somewhat look like a Jaguar - stretch the nose and add a second cockpit

hope there not too big

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 11:44 AM
link   
yup.. its looks liek that plane IS missing its right airelon!!..
I wonder why.. queer..

..Boy that twin seater Jaguar sure does look sweet!!!

We got he 6th sqdrn here and they're awesome..

[edit on 3-8-2005 by Daedalus3]

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I alwaysd thought the JH-7 resembled the Jaguar, although it is very much bigger. It actually looks more like the early impressions of the Jaguar that were published in the '60's before it had flown. In reality thought e JH-7 is very different and in the Tornado/Su-24 class

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 12:04 PM
link   
And which class is the Jaguar??
Class of its own innit now??

No really.. What are the suttle differences in the Jaguar of today
(AGAVE Radar n all) and the current tornado?

Two types of jags actually

[edit on 3-8-2005 by Daedalus3]

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Debaser

Why would it make Taiwan worried Im sure its nothing that one of worlds most sophisticated Air Defense Networks couldnt handle.

Check out something called "Cope Thunder"...

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I've sat in a cockpit of a real in service Jag, and i must admit the hundreds of meters made me dizzy !!! ...perhaps it was one of the early blocks.....but just a few days back India inducted the new Jaguar Darin-2 with Su-30 MKI standard aveonics...and they got several colour MFD's ...maybe they look better now

some pics of the Darin-2 standard Jags >> www.acig.org...

and some cool details on the indegenous CAC for the aveonics upgrade for the Jag >> csirwebistad.org... (Aeronautical society of India website)

The Jags were upgraded along with the Mig-27's and the new upgraded Mig-27's are now called Mig-27M and are more lethal than they have ever been
-----------------------------------------

All the extra additions of the upgrade to Darin-2 standard for the IAF Jags and the Mig-27 M

> Indegenous CAC/BCAC ... csirwebistad.org...
> Israeli Elta EL/L-8222 internal SPJ
> new VOR/ILS/TACAN/RADALT
> DRDO's Tarang Mk.2 and DU
> French Sextant MFD-66S
> Multi channel digital video recorder
> New VHF/UHF
> Digital Map generator
> French Thales LRMTS (IS only)
> Israeli Rafael Litening Laser Designation Pos

Credits to B Harry

--------------------------------------------
And our Darin-1 Jags smoked the USAF in the second round of air exercises in Alaska where no handicap was given to either air force unlike the Cope India - 1 execrises in Gwalior, India where the F-15's got smoked by Mig-21 bisons.

Indian Air Force bombers returned to base today after wargames hosted by the US in Alaska in which they claimed to have penetrated through US air defence twice, it was disclosed at a “hot debriefing” at their base in Ambala this afternoon. The IAF had deployed six Jaguar deep-penetration strike aircraft to Alaska for the fortnight-long Exercise CooperativeCope Thunder 04-01 that ended on July 30.Air force sources said the Jaguars had penetrated throughdefensive cover and scored “direct hits” on ground targets in ranges in Alaska. The war games involved sorties from the Eielson and Elmendorf air force bases. The war games are hosted by the US Pacific Command Air Force.

www.ipcs.org...

Another detailed articles on the Alaska air exercise >> trans atlantic thunder
-------------------------------

Another neat article :

Jaguar & India - Inseperable for over quarter of a century

[edit on 3-8-2005 by Stealth Spy]

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daedalus3
And which class is the Jaguar??
Class of its own innit now??

No really.. What are the suttle differences in the Jaguar of today
(AGAVE Radar n all) and the current tornado?

The Jaguar is a close air support type whilst the Tornado is an interdictor and strike aircraft.

Their roles can overlap somewhat but the Tornado is bigger, faster, longer ranged and carries almost twice the weapon load.

The difference between them exactly mirrors the difference between the MiG 27 and the Su 24.

The Agave radar gives the Indian Jaguars a greater capability than the radarless RAF and French originals but it still falls a long way short of the Tornado.

[edit on 3-8-2005 by waynos]

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 02:55 AM
link   
I see.. So how does the JH-7a compare with these a/c then.. tornado,Su-24,Jaguar etc..

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 03:41 AM
link   
Infact in India we had such a project of our own called MRCA ... it was the HF-73 Ground Attack Fighter. It was essentially a development of the Marut...by exploiting the full airframe potential of the HF-24 Marut by sticking in 2 more powerful engines at the back.

Even a prototype of the HF-73 was built and flown several times till it crashed for a reasons that are still unknown....that crash coupled with Government pressure to cancel the project....lack of Govt. interest and funding.....with British lobbying to buy the Jaguar ensured the project was cancelled and we bought the Jaguar.

Here is a picture of it.

here's another...alongside the UK proposed p.106 to India >> Image (large)

Infact the project and prototype was so advanced for its time that the German
Messerschmitt Boelkow Messerschmitt-Boelkow-Blohm (MBB)
wanted to participate in it....but heavy handed British lobbying convinced our Government to go in for the Jags....and moreover the HF-73 was to use British made engines whose name i forget ...and so Britain may have also denied the engine for the programme.

Some speculate that the German offer for co-development was driven by the strong lobby/influence Dr.Kurt Tank who deeply liked India maintained in W.Germany.

Eventually the IAF ended up with the Jaguar and we are more than satisfied with it....and when we got the Jag's Britian also gave us effectively a full transfer of technology and production rights of the Jaguar International (perhaps as compensation ? )...so anyway all's well.

[edit on 4-8-2005 by Stealth Spy]

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Ah.. but the sad story of how the HF-24 finally ended up being a grossly under-powered thing is ..well.. really quite sad!!
Maybe waynos knows about it? Lot of British lobbying with the HF-24 too..
Majorly underpowered the HF-24..

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 04:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Daedalus3
Ah.. but the sad story of how the HF-24 finally ended up being a grossly under-powered thing is ..well.. really quite sad!!
Maybe waynos knows about it? Lot of British lobbying with the HF-24 too..
Majorly underpowered the HF-24..

Yes,

Unfortunately, the British Rolls-Royce Orpheus-803 engine used rendered the aircraft gravely underpowered and worthless in combat situations, but such was the British stranglehold over India’s fledgling aeronautics industry and the international pressure they exerted on both India and other possible engine suppliers that India could not replace the Orpheus with a more powerful power plant.

Some say that the British certainly played a nefarious role in all of this, but in reality no serious effort was made in India to build on the design and manufacturing skills then acquired with, as noted above, deleterious consequences for India’s defence aeronautics industry has been badly and needlessly emasculated, and India’s self-reliance seriously impaired.

The British lobbying was also evident in the recent 1.6 billion $ Hawk IJT purchase from BAe that came when India had almost bought the Mig-AT.

However, their lobbying to sell us the Eurofighter was in vain as it was not even included in the tender for the 9 billion $ fighter purchase. This time the French seem to have an upper hand in our defence purchases....in the submarine deal- the Scorpenes and the Mirage-2000 5

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 01:19 PM
link   
When comparing the JH-7 to the aircraft mentioned I'm afraid I can only guess as I don't actually know too much about its capabilities, but from the specs I have seen and knowing what I know about attack aircraft in general I would hazard a guess that the JH-7 can carry a greater payload than a Jaguar over a greater range while in the same performace regime but maybe lacks the payload and speed of a Tornado (Su 24 carries slightly less than a Tornado but over a greater distance at a roughly equivalent speed). The rest of it is all down to systems and I couldn't even begin to guess the difference there.

Regarding the HF-24, I am amazed to hear that it was British interference that strangled it, I have never heard that before and I will try to find out more (its almost like how the USA strangled the TSR 2).

The resources I have immediately to hand (the complete Observers annual aircraft books from 1943 to 1992 if anyone wants anything looking up) only mention that 'the definitive version of the HF-24 will be mach 2 capable but the engines have yet to be selected' (1965) and 'consideration is currently being given to upgrading the HF-24 by fitting the R-R Adour of the Jaguar' (1971) but there is no further mention of either option.

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Yes the airframe was Mach 2 + capable but because it did'nt have a suitable engine the Marut was a subsonic airplane !!!!!

Here is a link that explains the HF-24's engine debacle >> www.bharat-rakshak.com... ( a good read )

another article sadly concludes

A promising design that could cruise supersonic at 40,000 feet, the Marut finally met a disappointing end thanks to un-kept promises and international politics that embroiled HAL and several successive engine vendors. Thus ended India’s first true fighter design. It would be exactly 40 years since the Marut’s first flight when another indigenous design- the Light Combat Aircraft would take to the Indian skies again on 04 Jan 01.

www.bharat-rakshak.com...

Thus the LCA is India's first supersonic airplane.

[edit on 4-8-2005 by Stealth Spy]

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Too bad those JH-7As won't stand a chance against PAC-3s.

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Hail China! No seriously though, your the expert in flying craft matters. Does China have anything like the above that is an air threat to the west?

Or do they perhap's just have better flying machines than they did before?

Dallas

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join