It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Iraq Bomb Attack Kills 14 Marines

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Fourteen Marines and a civilian translator have been killed in a roadside blast near the Syrian border. The incident occured in the same area that six Marines were killed on Monday. This part of north west Iraq is suffering from frequent attcks on Marines by insurgents.

news.bbc.co.uk
Fourteen marines and their civilian translator have been killed in a roadside bombing in north-western Iraq, the US military says.
It is one of the deadliest attacks on US forces since the 2003 invasion.

It happened near the city of Haditha, in the same area as an incident on Monday in which six US marines were killed by hostile gunfire.

The city is near the Syrian border in an area that has seen frequent insurgent assaults against US troops.

The military said one other marine was wounded in the bombing.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

There is very little information on this incident at the moment, the article will be updated as more news comes in.

The Syrian border needs to be secured by both coalition and Syrian forces. This part of Iraq has a high insurgency population it seems.

Small update: The bomb is being reported as exploding near an amphibious assault vehicle. In the last ten days, thirty seven Marines have been killed in Iraq.

A well known group in the area have admitted responsibility for the attacks on Marines carried out on Monday. However, the insurgents claim to have killed more Marines than official reports.

One of Iraq's most violent Islamic militant groups, Ansar al-Sunna, has claimed responsibility for the attack on marines on Monday, saying it had killed eight personnel.

The group said it had shot some of the marines and "slit the throats" of others.

A ninth marine is said to have been captured although it is not possible to authenticate the statement.

I am more likely to trust the official report here than the insurgents claim.

With this news, it seems highly likely that the group is also responsible for todays attacks. Both attacks seem to have been well co-ordinated. Although that point of view is purely speculative.

[edit on 3-8-2005 by Kriz_4]

[edit on 3-8-2005 by John bull 1]

[edit on 4-8-2005 by John bull 1]

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 07:32 AM
link   
This is being reported as the worst attack on US forces since the war began.

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 07:41 AM
link   
This is terrible. This is the way of the Iraqi war/conflict/liberation.

I don't wish to contribute to Bush-bashing, or overt Bush support here. What I wish to comment upon is the methods being used by the commanders on the ground in Iraq. What military efforts are they using to stop this? How can they continue to send American boys out on convoys where they are slaughtered? By far our KIA numbers are being filled with this type of attack.
We are somehow not taking the attack to the source. It's time we did. Where are the Pattons, MacArthurs and Eisenhowers of this conflict?

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Honestly, it's the media who cripples the would be efforts to "take it to them" the way it should be done. When troops have to worry about every tiny thing ending up on CNN, it's no wonder they look like babysitters rather than soldiers. This war is not about defeating the enemy anymore. It's looking politically correct on camera. Trust me, if there were no cameras taping and scutinizing every little detail of this war, we'd be out of there a long time ago.

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 07:49 AM
link   
It's a bloody shame what's going on over there. US Soldiers dieing seemingly every day, not to mention the injuries factor.

Mayhap's 500,000 or so Soldiers might be sent in to squash all insurgent problems. Once done get out of there and the middle east. Oh but Oil, can't just leave and let the Mid East sell major amounts to China and subtract that usage from exports to United States.

Dallas

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Yes this is being reported as the worst attack. The only other incidents to have such high casualties are air crashes.

The Marines have a huge disadvantage in this situation, the insurgents have a much better grasp of their surroundings. Being these insurgent groups seem to operarate in small groups it must also be hard to tell friend from foe untill the last minute.

That fact must make it hard to know who exactley to go after. Something has to be done to secure the borders, but I just don't know what.

[edit on 3-8-2005 by Kriz_4]

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I don't mean to sound like an apologist for the Syrians, but here goes...

At this point, I don't know that securing the borders can do much more good. These insurgents have had years to sneak across the border, ally themselves with their local counterparts, and learn their tactics.

All the troops Syria pulled out of Lebanon are already patrolling on their said of the Syrian/Iraqi border.Those caught on Syria's side are "severly punished" even before they're jailed. (According to leaks from Syrian patrols.)

My only suggestion is to officially close the border, (except at predetermined points), know in our heart that anyone crossing elsewhere is the bad guy, and take action.

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I am sickened by this event. It is time to MOAB Haditha. We've been playing nice for too long a time with those suckers.. Get the reporters out of there and go in full throttle.

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kriz_4

A well known group in the area have admitted responsibility for the attacks on Marines carried out on Monday. However, the insurgents claim to have killed more Marines than official reports.

I am more likely to trust the official report here than the insurgents claim.

They have released video of Monday's attack but it's too jerky and out of focus to really show how many were killed. The camera guy was too far away.

The video of the captured weapons shows seven long guns on the ground.

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Ah, very interesting Ace.

I am no weapons expert, can anyone confirm these as US weapons or weapons likely to have been carried by the team.

Was the video of the weapons, part of the same video released of the attack?

Can you post a link to the video? You can PM the link to me if you are not comfortable posting it on the forums.

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by mpeake
Honestly, it's the media who cripples the would be efforts to "take it to them" the way it should be done. When troops have to worry about every tiny thing ending up on CNN, it's no wonder they look like babysitters rather than soldiers. This war is not about defeating the enemy anymore. It's looking politically correct on camera. Trust me, if there were no cameras taping and scrutinizing every little detail of this war, we'd be out of there a long time ago.

The liberal media, that old chestnut. It caused us to lose in Vietnam too, right? I thought the liberal media was dead? Anyway, I think the problem is that we blame everyone else, except the ones actually responsible for the failures in Iraq. The death of the Marines is tragic. The last thing we need is apologists trying to rationalize their deaths. How can we recognize our failures, if we refuse to see them?

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kriz_4
Ah, very interesting Ace.

I am no weapons expert, can anyone confirm these as US weapons or weapons likely to have been carried by the team.

Was the video of the weapons, part of the same video released of the attack?

Can you post a link to the video? You can PM the link to me if you are not comfortable posting it on the forums.

The video shows what look to be insurgents ambushing the Marines, The video also shows one dead Marine. The insurgents also claim to have slit the throats of some of the Marines and have captured one. You can find the video over at Ogrish.

[edit on 3-8-2005 by Wask]

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 09:25 PM
link   
tragedies such as this make me feel sick to the stomach if you think that the administration misled people about the case for war.

Rest In Peace.

thanks,
drfunk

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Why not just leave and let these idiots just kill each other off. I guess I just don't care anymore. Why are we on the verge of losing 2000 people to fight for someone elses freedom? Not to mention the billions of dollars we have spent.

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Why are we on the verge of losing 2000 people to fight for someone elses freedom? Not to mention the billions of dollars we have spent.

TRILLIONS.....I think you meant to say TRILLIONS!!!!!
and while im not totally supportive of the policy makers and the reason behind the war in the first place......we can't pull out now. Let's at least
attempt to make a semi-stable system over there...not leave it in shambles.

new topics

top topics

join